Marlin Guide Gun .45-70

Deerstalker

I can not comment on the shorter barreled Guide model as I have the regular 1895 model with the longer barrel which was my Dad's and passed down to me. The accuracy on mine with Winchester factory 300 gr HPs amazed me, it shoots groups as good and better than some bolt action hunting rifles I have had. My Dad took his last deer with this rifle and I have since taken a couple myself, it is a good all around woods rifle with all the accuracy needed for that type of hunting although a little on the heavy side.

I do have the 1894 mini version in 44 mag with only a 16 inch ported barrel and a regular 94 in 357 mag and they too amaze me with their accuracy. I have always been more of a bolt action guy but these Marlins have given me a strong respect for lever actions especially when it comes to accuracy.

So with my experience going three for three in the accuracy department with three different Marlin lever actions I personally would have no qualms purchasing the shorter barreled model 95 Guide model for short to moderate range woods hunting, the odds are strong that Deer hunting accuracy will be there.

Al

Edited by airedale

3 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

A little bit off topic but not really ,I have plans to buy a lever gun and everyone says go 30 30 over 45 70 because the ammo is cheaper ,if I don't mind spending more on ammo ,should I get a 45 70 ?

Im getting the 45 70 because it can be loaded for a large range of  bullet weights. Its a  more versatile caliber then the 30 30  they say .

4 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

A little bit off topic but not really ,I have plans to buy a lever gun and everyone says go 30 30 over 45 70 because the ammo is cheaper ,if I don't mind spending more on ammo ,should I get a 45 70 ?

Im getting the 45 70 because it can be loaded for a large range of  bullet weights. Its a  more versatile caliber then the 30 30  they say .

I have see the ammo for it  as low as $28 a box not bad price if your only going to be using it for hunting mostly .

On 11/26/2016 at 7:29 AM, Jeremy K said:

If you don't mind spending close to $50 for a box of ammo. I had the 45-70 Guide gun and got rid of mine solely because there was no way I was paying that much money for ammo, Traded mine for a 30-06, $18 for a box of ammo. 

24 minutes ago, Uptown Redneck said:

If you don't mind spending close to $50 for a box of ammo. I had the 45-70 Guide gun and got rid of mine solely because there was no way I was paying that much money for ammo, Traded mine for a 30-06, $18 for a box of ammo. 

You seem to have a vast knowledge of all things hunting considering you don't like to hunt. Just sayin'.

no doubt the 45-70 whumps, but especially primarily for deer, standard rounds are more than fine. Handloading to the upper levels don't do much for improving effective range. Most folks new to the 45-70 are surpised by the recoil...a few shots a season they don't mind, but frequent shooters avoid it.....I am not particularly a whimpy guy, but one range session ended in Severe pain to my shooting shoulder...it curtailed my day. Two years later a chest x ray (ruling out pneumonia) showed the collarbone was fractured...now healed of course. That load was for a 350 gr. slug in a moderate modern rifle loading.

I love the 45-70....but it isn't for every one.

17 hours ago, ....rob said:

You seem to have a vast knowledge of all things hunting considering you don't like to hunt. Just sayin'.

I used to enjoy and go hunting a lot more then I do now. As I get older I no longer enjoy the cold and there are many other things I need/would rather be doing then sit in the woods hoping/waiting for a deer to walk by so that I could shoot it. When i want to shoot my neighbor, daughter and myself jump in the car and go to the range which I find much more enjoyable then hunting.    

17 hours ago, ....rob said:

Ask him to post pictures of all the guns he owns to make him prove that he likes to hunt/shoot.  Just like you when you wanted to see pictures of everybody's assault rifle's.  

6 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Ask him to post pictures of all the guns he owns to make him prove that he likes to hunt/shoot.  Just like you when you wanted to see pictures of everybody's assault rifle's.  

I was busting balls with my post about the AR style rifles. I would never be serious about that!

I would like to see a pic of Uptown just being in the woods. LOL

2 hours ago, diplomat019 said:

Lol.  Internet humor is hard to decipher sometimes.  

I have a dry, sarcastic wit, just like most people on here. The pic thing stems from so many people saying "Pics or it didn't happen!".

I still stand by I would love to see a pic of Uptown actually hunting.

As for the original reason the thread was created, the 30-30 or the .35 Rem seems to be more preferred by those who do not reload. 

for years ive wanted a lever action 45-70. Finally won one this fall lol. A Henry Big Game Custom 24k gold plated edition lol. idk how i pulled that off. but i finally decided i would shoot it since i wasnt letting it go. And to me theres no sense having a gun you wont shoot. ill take good care of it obv. 

Shot it at 50 yards free hand with the 405 gr. core lokt. And it shoots tight there. i have yet to shoot it any farther but the ballistics even for the 300gr ammo are not great lol, its anything but a flat shooting gun. lol The gun is so comfortable to hold, and doesn't kick anymore than my 22-250

20160918_091531.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

for years ive wanted a lever action 45-70. Finally won one this fall lol. A Henry Big Game Custom 24k gold plated edition lol. idk how i pulled that off. but i finally decided i would shoot it since i wasnt letting it go. And to me theres no sense having a gun you wont shoot. ill take good care of it obv. 

Shot it at 50 yards free hand with the 405 gr. core lokt. And it shoots tight there. i have yet to shoot it any farther but the ballistics even for the 300gr ammo are not great lol, its anything but a flat shooting gun. lol The gun is so comfortable to hold, and doesn't kick anymore than my 22-250

20160918_091531.jpg

Yeah but look at the energy values of that big bullet...lol

• Like 1