Winter hunting boots

buffalojay83

Durable, seriously warm, and sure-fitting! Guide Gear Men's Ankle Fit Insulated Rubber Boots, 2,400 grams - See more at: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-mens-ankle-fit-insulated-rubber-boots-2400-grams?a=1581495#sthash.bmoAyCm2.dpuf   this is what  I wear hunting and icefishing

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zeus1gdsm said:

I picked up Itasca 2000g thinsulate rubbers... good down to 30 without toe warmers. And one pair wool socks... Toe warmers get me down to 15.

But keep in mind this is with a short non sweaty walk

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I had a pair of those ,keep an eye on the side ankle area ,mine split there after only 2 years.

• Like 1

As someone said , you also,need room in your boot . Two pair of thick socks unless you're buying the boots larger then you normally wear can be part of the issue .

All socks are not created equal as well . Many like merino wool or wool blend , my favorite sock is Under Armour Coldgear boot sock . Even though I have issues with the company . The sock is warm and not bulky at all .

Also I make sure my feet are dry before putting them on, if I shower first I use a blow drier on my feet  ( yes my wife laughs ) . I found just toweling off ,my feet still had a lot of moisture that transferred to sock .

When I return home I dry my boots out, remove insole pad and turn open end of boots towards gas fireplace . I know some who leave boots in truck/ trunk but they stuff crumpled newspaper or paper towels in them to,draw out moisture .

Just found this,  https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncaporimo/ways-to-keep-your-feet-warm-according-to-lumberjacks?utm_term=.prL5dw6qd#.qdzX4gk04

Edited by Larry302

In addition to what Larry302 said, be sure to leave your boots in a warm place overnight, not in an unheated garage, basement, or in your truck. If your boots are already cold when you put them on, they will only draw the warmth from your feet. Would you leave your boots in the refrigerator overnight and then put them on? Of course not, and leaving them in some of the places I mentioned are places that are colder than your refrigerator. If your boots get wet or moist put them in a Peet boot dryer overnight. This will dry out your boots and warm them up for you.

valoroutdoors.com

http://www.basspro.com/Original-PEET-Boot-Dryer/product/99738/

• Like 2

Mickie boots, the surplus kind. I first pair I got were white. I wear a 10 so I bought 11. Sure you look like a clown with them on but for warm feet I would kiss Hillary on the mouth. A pair of wool blend and an insulated sock like a Hodgeman sock and your good for 15 degrees. Under 15 and throw in toe warmers. I walk, stalk and tree stand huntand never had an issue. When I sit my feet are warm. Just this week in that blizzard in the Catskills i was out there giggling about how warm my feet were and it was 17 and wind blowing at 40. When I stalk I can feel my feet sweat but they never get cold. I got a new pair this time and they are black. In my tree stand I face east and the sun on the coldest days warm up the black bots a little too. they are under $50 and watch any of those Alaskan shows they are all wearing them.

They are cheap and great. and remember back in the day your government probably did a million dollar Study on them.

• Like 1

Engineer, the black boots you have now are "Mickey Mouse Boots."  The white ones are commonly referred to as "Bunny Boots."  The Mickies aren't rated for as cold as the Bunnies you had.  Both are heavy as hell and warm as hell though.  As long as you don't have a long hike, I think they're the best value in hunting boots.  

• Like 1

Superfeet makes an insert that's designed specifically for hunting. 

Great orthopedic support and the merino lining does help add some warmth. 

Walked around with those in brand new boots for about 7 hours and felt comfortable the whole time. 

Close fitting teko socks with a fluffier wool sock over in uninsulated boots. As long as I was moving around my feet felt good. Temps were in the 20s to low 30s

Another vote here for the Mickey boots.   The black ones are rated for 40 below and the whites 70.   The blacks are perfect for NY state deer hunting in the winter.   It is hard to go wrong for $40 surplus or $80 new.   No other boot I have tried has worked better for hunting, regardless of cost.  The blacks are light weight enough to work well for still hunting.    

Edited by wolc123
addition