Disgusted...

Wheels0802

So I don't really post on the forum. However, I certainly enjoy reading all of the post and seeing the end results of many long hours in the woods, but after what just happened I'm not sure what to think about people.

I have hunted this piece of property (125 acres) in 6g for the past 14 years. Over the course of those years I have done a ton of work for the couple who own the property. Every spring I clear the trails, built two wood sheds, snowblow their driveway, resided their house (yes they pay for materials) & built their grandson the most kick ass treehouse a 5yr old could ask for among other things. And never once did I accept money. My reply was always "you let me hunt and that is more than enough payment for me." 

So as I pull in to park this afternoon I see a truck parked where I park. Knowing no one else is to be on the property I go to the house to notify them so they can take whatever action they'd like. And this is where the shock comes in...I go to tell the husband there is a truck parked and he replies "yeah, you see a couple guys stopped a few hours ago and asked to hunt because of the deer in the field. And before I could say no they offered me xxxx amount to get rights to hunt it for now on so I agreed...you understand, right?" I stood there in stunned silence...absolutely shocked. His reply to the now awkward silence "you've been really good to is but these guys are willing to pay."

I turned and just walked away, got in my truck and drove home...disgusted with what just happened. I am sitting in my truck in my driveway still in shock.

Okay, rant/disgust over...had to let it out before I go tell my wife what happened. 

22 minutes ago, Wheels0802 said:

So I don't really post on the forum. However, I certainly enjoy reading all of the post and seeing the end results of many long hours in the woods, but after what just happened I'm not sure what to think about people.

I have hunted this piece of property (125 acres) in 6g for the past 14 years. Over the course of those years I have done a ton of work for the couple who own the property. Every spring I clear the trails, built two wood sheds, snowblow their driveway, resided their house (yes they pay for materials) & built their grandson the most kick ass treehouse a 5yr old could ask for among other things. And never once did I accept money. My reply was always "you let me hunt and that is more than enough payment for me." 

So as I pull in to park this afternoon I see a truck parked where I park. Knowing no one else is to be on the property I go to the house to notify them so they can take whatever action they'd like. And this is where the shock comes in...I go to tell the husband there is a truck parked and he replies "yeah, you see a couple guys stopped a few hours ago and asked to hunt because of the deer in the field. And before I could say no they offered me xxxx amount to get rights to hunt it for now on so I agreed...you understand, right?" I stood there in stunned silence...absolutely shocked. His reply to the now awkward silence "you've been really good to is but these guys are willing to pay."

I turned and just walked away, got in my truck and drove home...disgusted with what just happened. I am sitting in my truck in my driveway still in shock.

Okay, rant/disgust over...had to let it out before I go tell my wife what happened. 

How much did they offer the guy? Did you ask 

Edited by Deerstalker

34 minutes ago, Wheels0802 said:

They offered $1800 to hunt, and he took it. My wife had the best quote though..."S!$t! I already sent out their Christmas card." 

1800 big ones is a good chunk of change for many folks. They will see in the end how much all that extra shit you did for them costs in the long run thats for sure. My problem with it is that some stranger to this guy did not just ride down the road, see deer in a field, pull over and hand them cash or a check for the 1800. This was done elsewhere and this people know who these guys are very well and worked out a lease.

• Like 2

That is why I never offer services. Always a contract lease always locked in price for no less then 10 years. I am only one paying the lease and the only one with control of it. Everyone else hunts because I let them. Just renewed lease this year. Another 10 years. 

• Like 1