Disgusted...

Wheels0802

48 minutes ago, sodfather said:

I would add up all the hours spent there and charge a rate of $65 an hour. Then see if money matters..

I have to agree.  If this couple accepted your services with the expectation of you being allowed to hunt the land in return, then it's time to send them a bill.  

I don't know how some people look at themselves in the mirror.  smh

Edited by Jdubs

I completely agree fourseasons, I do believe (now that I have time to reflect) that this was probably worked out in advance. Just burns me that they didn't call or anything to just give me a heads up. 

And for adding up all my time spent there...that's not a bad idea (though I know I'll never do it). Fun to think about though!

I'm waiting to the next good snow and seeing if I get a call "we can't get out of the driveway".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wheels0802 said:

They offered $1800 to hunt, and he took it. My wife had the best quote though..."S!$t! I already sent out their Christmas card." 

Holy cow !! $1800 is the hunting really that good on this guys property unless you are seening 8 and 10  pointers on a regular bases  on this guys land those guys got ripped off and i bet they will not want to hunt there next year just to shoot a doe or a spike . 

15 minutes ago, Wheels0802 said:

I completely agree fourseasons, I do believe (now that I have time to reflect) that this was probably worked out in advance. Just burns me that they didn't call or anything to just give me a heads up. 

And for adding up all my time spent there...that's not a bad idea (though I know I'll never do it). Fun to think about though!

I'm waiting to the next good snow and seeing if I get a call "we can't get out of the driveway".

You won't send them a bill cause your a good person. Anyone who does free labor for permission to hunt is a real person. I trade my services for a small 40 acre plot I hunt and the owner always wants to give me money and tells me I can do anything on his land cut trees plant food plots he don't care. If I were you I'd wait for the next big snow fall and snow blow a path to there door and hand them a spoon and say get shoveling f#*~ers!!

• Like 5

I wonder if the people understand that now that they have accepted cash for hunting rites that they are liable for whatever happens to these guys while on their property. They can be sued and lose everything if one of these guys gets hurt or killed. they better talk to a lawyer. While you were hunting there for free (not paying money) they were protected under a state law that would protect them from you suing them.

• Like 3

Well,wait until these two...turn into these4,6,8,10. Then you will be able to drive by the not one truck but several ,smiling to your self ,with the thought...How's that deal looking now putts?

Though I would write them a letter and tell them straight up ,with all you've done for them and the supposed friendship you thought were between you the very very least they could have done was talk to you first. Giving you the option. That it saddens you to see cash trumped honor and you were so wrong in your assessment of his character.

• Like 1

Larry ,

Now that would be an investment...slipped on ice ,in drive. Due to not properly plowed,widow maker hit me due to wood lot not being properly managed...sue home owners. Settle for thousands and move on to the next season...these guys could take turns...

Mean time these people get dropped or premiums go way up....

I have listened to each response here. This is a difficult no matter how you look at it. If it were me, I would collect my thoughts and pay them a visit.

Start out by asking them for a few minutes of their time.

"We've known each other for quite a long time now... more than 14 years.  I have always felt we were good friends. Don't you agree?"

Then -

"you know I've done a lot of work for you over the past 14 years plus have always plowed your driveway and never charged you a penny. I remember how thrilled your grandson was when he saw the treehouse. 

The reason I did this was because - first of all; I really liked you folks and second of all I appreciated the opportunity to hunt the property. So you can understand how stunned I was when you told me you just accepted money, $1800 from some other hunters."

Then ask - "why wasn't I given the first opportunity to lease the property?  because I would have gladly worked out an arrangement and still plowed your driveway because as I stated, I really liked you folks." 

The close -

"At this point is there any way that next year I can work out the financial arrangement with you to lease the land to hunt? If so I would still plow your driveway at no charge.

Give it a try. You got nothing to lose.

AND AS LARRY HAS STATED - Remind them now that they have accepted money for the right to hunt they are now liable in a law suit.should one of them or someone with them get hurt or worse yet killed on your land. Have they obtained additional insurance now because they have entered into an agreement?

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 2

Jeeeezus.... some of you sound like you've never been dumped before!

Time to move on and start looking for some new property. That's all there is to it.

I mean you could always go and pull a few nails on the grandkids treehouse before you ride off into the sunset, but what the hell would that prove other than you weren't a very good carpenter for them to worry much about losing after all,lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wheels0802 said:

So I don't really post on the forum. However, I certainly enjoy reading all of the post and seeing the end results of many long hours in the woods, but after what just happened I'm not sure what to think about people.

I have hunted this piece of property (125 acres) in 6g for the past 14 years. Over the course of those years I have done a ton of work for the couple who own the property. Every spring I clear the trails, built two wood sheds, snowblow their driveway, resided their house (yes they pay for materials) & built their grandson the most kick ass treehouse a 5yr old could ask for among other things. And never once did I accept money. My reply was always "you let me hunt and that is more than enough payment for me." 

So as I pull in to park this afternoon I see a truck parked where I park. Knowing no one else is to be on the property I go to the house to notify them so they can take whatever action they'd like. And this is where the shock comes in...I go to tell the husband there is a truck parked and he replies "yeah, you see a couple guys stopped a few hours ago and asked to hunt because of the deer in the field. And before I could say no they offered me xxxx amount to get rights to hunt it for now on so I agreed...you understand, right?" I stood there in stunned silence...absolutely shocked. His reply to the now awkward silence "you've been really good to is but these guys are willing to pay."

I turned and just walked away, got in my truck and drove home...disgusted with what just happened. I am sitting in my truck in my driveway still in shock.

Okay, rant/disgust over...had to let it out before I go tell my wife what happened. 

Truly do feel for you  ..... Guess it's never a sure thing in those type of situations. Certainly says a lot about the land owner(s)

That REALLY SUCKS and I feel bad for you………Almost the exact thing happened to me about 8 or 10 years ago, on a pice of property, my friends and I hunted for 30 years. Guys offered up cash to hunt it and the guy took it with out even offering us to lease it instead..And the guy didn't even need the money!!!! SELFISH DOUCHE NOZZLE!!!!

Sorry, but something else will turn up for you…….

That's does suck Wheels0802.  I can kind of understand taking the money but its a low thing to do and a big lose to them.  Hope something else turns up and is even better for you!   

I would look at it this way.  If my friendship means that little to them, they where never really a good friend and I would be better off moving on anyway.  Again best of luck, hope you find a place that is better and appreciates you more!

1800$ is a big chunk of change for a lot of people me included. I don't buy that someone stopped and offered 1800$ wrote the check and started hunting. I would be more upset that they felt they had to lie than to just say sorry they are paying 1800$. That tells me that he knows how much he screwed you.

At the end of the day it's their land to do as they please and let's hope they call you for help and you can tell them it will be 1800$ and hang up, then drive by and honk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I live about 10 mins away so it was perfect. Now that I have had time to let everything digest...my plan of action is to simply go over tomorrow, ask if I did something to upset them along the way, ask to pull the four stands (there are more but those a wood built) and as much as it will pain me, say thank you for the opportunity to hunt for the past 14yrs and walk away. 

I would love to give them a piece of my mind but like many have said...what would that do. Yup, I would feel good for about an hour...but the thrill would be gone and I may even eventually regret doing it (maybe not). 

Not going to lie, I am still like WTF?!?! over the whole situation still.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Wheels0802 said:

I live about 10 mins away so it was perfect. Now that I have had time to let everything digest...my plan of action is to simply go over tomorrow, ask if I did something to upset them along the way, ask to pull the four stands (there are more but those a wood built) and as much as it will pain me, say thank you for the opportunity to hunt for the past 14yrs and walk away. 

I would love to give them a piece of my mind but like many have said...what would that do. Yup, I would feel good for about an hour...but the thrill would be gone and I may even eventually regret doing it (maybe not). 

Not going to lie, I am still like WTF?!?! over the whole situation still.

Good plan and try your best to stick to it!  You never know, the new hunters may be real jerks, and they might realize the great deal they were getting too.

That stinks wheels sorry to hear about that you got a raw deal I fear the same thing I have a 75 acre chunk that I have the opportunity to hunt the land owner has never asked for a dime although I always give him some venison and always buy him a gift certificate for him and his wife for dinner but still that's not much for 75 acres I fear someday someone will offer him a deal he can't refuse andbi will be out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

That sure does suck it's happened to my dad a handful of times and my dad and I once. He finally was able to get his own spot and now I'm working hard to help him out with the money side of it and of course the work at the property. Good luck with the next spot you have! 

I've been reading all of the responses and I think you very well should let them know you are disappointed for not having the opportunity to lease, if the cash money was in fact what they were looking for. Is $1800 the yearly tax? I know guys that want to make sure their yearly taxes are all covered when allowing others to hunt their land. But as stated above, there has now been an exchange of money so there are liability issues and insurance concerns. Plus, 125 acres is huge for only a couple guys. If the hunting is worth it you may have no choice but to chip in financially and make new hunting buddies.

15 minutes ago, Jared A said:

I've been reading all of the responses and I think you very well should let them know you are disappointed for not having the opportunity to lease, if the cash money was in fact what they were looking for. Is $1800 the yearly tax? I know guys that want to make sure their yearly taxes are all covered when allowing others to hunt their land. But as stated above, there has now been an exchange of money so there are liability issues and insurance concerns. Plus, 125 acres is huge for only a couple guys. If the hunting is worth it you may have no choice but to chip in financially and make new hunting buddies.

Or just hunt state land which there is, plenty in the part of the state he is in i  think .

I am looking at this $1800 figure, and to me that is more than I would ever be willing to pay for unmanaged land. Since you were applying sweat exchange rather than cash, I suspect that you might be feeling the same way as I do. I also suspect that cash offers for hunting privilege is becoming the way of doing business these days. People are realizing that they have equity that is only a liability unless they can get some cash out of it to help pay the taxes, and looking for some cash payback is not completely unreasonable. What was unreasonable was the way that they handled it. But as long as you have people with deep pockets running around willing to create bidding wars over hunting land, you will always have this kind of risk.

The suggestion to learn how to have success on public lands is not really a bad one. Yes there are drawbacks with state land (some real, most imagined), but I have never had state land sold out from under me, or paid exorbitant amounts of lease money just to step foot on it.

• Like 1

That does suck. On the plus though you had good land for 14 years. The problem was they were never able to associate your time with money. Many people have this problem; if money isn't exchanged for labor they don't see it as terribly valuable. That's why you provided thousands in labor for years but to them they were just doing you a favor and you would "help out a little" around the place. Even though to pay for the same would have cost them a good bit of real money.

A neighbor and I are going to look more into leasing some land next year. I will probably start knocking on doors in the immediate area and not even asking to hunt; I'll open right off the bat with the fact I have money for it. But, I would require some lease agreement at that point and know that nobody else is hitting the land.

State land is indeed free, but I'm leaving the house in a few minutes to "mine" and once again will be surprised if I even see a deer today. I've been striking out for many weeks now, can't even get one in view and I've scouted deep and gone to spots most people won't (I can tell by where their cars are parked!).

• Like 1