Disgusted...

Wheels0802

I can not tell or remember all the hunting lands that I have lost the rights to hunt on for one reason or another. Ownership change, leasing in lieu of sweat equity (like in your case,) problems caused by other hunters making up stories to the landowners, company policy change, local law (hunting regs) change, and whim of the landowner...(all of a sudden doesn't like bowhunting because of something he read, etc.) and that is just off the top of my head. Like some of the other posters said, "Move on." But that is why I have a number of hunting spots and I visit each and every landowner and help them with stuff throughout the year...from contracting work, cutting wood, etc. Some are small, some are large. But don't burn your bridges! Sure you'd like to tell him how you feel. Suck it up. Be a man. Tell him that next year, if things don't work out with the big money guys...you would like to make sure you still have your foot in the door and this doesn't happen again and that your mutually beneficial relationship needs to be at least a handshake deal. You have enough sweat equity invested to position yourself for the future. Nevagiveup.

• Like 1

See I disagree about just moving on as some of you have stated. This man had a relationship with these people for a long time. I can tell you that people don't always think things through before they make decisions. I'm sure that wheels has had such or dinner with them a time or to as well.

Wheels - pay them a visit and just sit down and talk. Let them understand what hunting the property meant to you. Make sure they understand how grateful you were for the opportunity. Make sure they understand how much their friendship is to you as well. Ask that they reconsider next year and either lease you the land or continue on with the previous arrangement. 

If the door is closed for good it is but to not address this is dumb. In the mean time start looking for other land as well.

I would just offer them some money and ask for a break on the price  since you know them so long  and do them favors from time to time . Say it like a joke kinda can i get a discount or i can only afford so much please can you let me hunt here still i can pay you but  only so much . Never hurts to ask if  they like you they will probably agrea if they dont they you will know . Or you could ask to hunt only on certain days of the week .

Edited by Deerstalker

11 hours ago, Jared A said:

I've been reading all of the responses and I think you very well should let them know you are disappointed for not having the opportunity to lease, if the cash money was in fact what they were looking for. Is $1800 the yearly tax? I know guys that want to make sure their yearly taxes are all covered when allowing others to hunt their land. But as stated above, there has now been an exchange of money so there are liability issues and insurance concerns. Plus, 125 acres is huge for only a couple guys. If the hunting is worth it you may have no choice but to chip in financially and make new hunting buddies.

sucks that you lost exclusive rights to hunt this guys property. As Jared A noted, 125 acres is a BIG piece of property. I don't think it would be too hard for you to "share" rights with the other hunters. As they say, "nothing personal, it's just business". Now the ball is in your court and you need to negotiate terms that include you and work for you or walk away with nothing. 

Geezer land owners have to be carefull who they let hunt there property.. you let a guy hunt there for for 14 years in exchange for a few favors.. now the guy hates you because he doesn't have life use..

I feel bad for the owners any idea what they pay in taxes??    have you looked at what 125ac would cost to buy? plus taxes .. 

I can tell you should feel fortunate that they gave you the opertunity to hunt all those years and not feel like they owe you something. you sir took them for granted! 

Are you the land owner?? Man cut the guy some slack....sounds like from his side of the story he has provided ample work in return for hunting rights. We all know money doesn't make this world go around, and when the snow piles up this winter the home owner may realize that too.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One angle to consider is that the hunter and landowner had an implicit oral contract: the hunter would provide services and the landowner would allow the hunter to hunt (exclusively or non-exclusively is another issue) on its land. It seems like the hunter did his part with the labor, and the landowner reneged on its, without any notice to boot. Not that I would take the landowner to court, but to further reinforce that what the landowner did was wrong, ethically, morally and legally, IMO FWIW.

I would love to ask the landowner what they plan on doing for snowplowing this year.

Or how bout the land owner should have said sure u can lease the land. But there is a guy who hunts it already and he's a family friend and he still is going to have the right to hunt it. And instead of taking 1800 they should have taken 1200. And considered the work the guy does payment for the other 600 and it's a 3 guy lease. 3 people can hunt 125 acres just fine

Update...

So I went to talk to the couple who own the land and to thank them once again for allowing me the opportunity to hunt. I did ask if I had done something to upset them and that's when the circumstances to yesterday's news were revealed.

The daughters husband (doesn't hunt) has a friend who hunts and has seen pictures of the deer in the field and some I have shared with the landowner over the years. Well turns out that he and 3 of his buddies decided to approach the landowners about leasing the land. Seeing as how it was a friend of the son-in-law and they didn't want to upset their daughter (which I actually understand, I wouldn't want to upset my daughter either) they reluctantly (his words) agreed to lease their land.

However, they wanted to wait till the end of the year and then have a sit down talk about it but I guess the new guys wanted it ASAP. The landowners said they feel awful about how the whole thing went down and really hope that this doesn't end our friendship. To which I replied "nope, just to cleaning your driveway out in the winter." I actually meant it as a joke but they said "yeah, we figured."

Anyways, the landowner helped me go out and collect my stands and I feel we parted on good terms. I told him if it doesn't work out with the new guys... "you have my number."

So here's hoping for next year and I'll be on the hunt for new land come next year. 

• Like 1

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate by the owner and the OP. After a 14yr relationship the owner  should have given the OP a heads up. On the flip side, after a 14yr relationship the OP could have been a little less heated and discussed with the owner if there were other options/work around rather than walk away without saying anything. things are not always black or white... There's always some middle ground. 

If it is all forested then $1800 would be a little in the low end.  They Prolly could've gotten 1-2k more as it could accommodate at least 4 hunters.

Sounds like this was an impulsive decision by the landowners and prolly not legally well thought-out as stated above.

But pretty impulsive by the hunters, as well, this late in the season. 

They must've seen something YUUUUGE!

Edited by LetEmGrow
spelling errors (beer)

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

One angle to consider is that the hunter and landowner had an implicit oral contract: the hunter would provide services and the landowner would allow the hunter to hunt (exclusively or non-exclusively is another issue) on its land. It seems like the hunter did his part with the labor, and the landowner reneged on its, without any notice to boot. Not that I would take the landowner to court, but to further reinforce that what the landowner did was wrong, ethically, morally and legally, IMO FWIW.

I would love to ask the landowner what they plan on doing for snowplowing this year.

Up this this point anyway.  Now they have a dollar amount to compare it to.

Didn't see the update.  That's good.  Could be worse. I'm sure you'll be the first one thet call if it falls through. People who pay money for something often feel "entitled".  See if they don't pizz em off real soon.  4 guys to do it too.  

You're a good man.  Hang in there.