Just bought a CVA Wolf

Core

F&S had these for $219 down from normal $250. The scope doesn't look awful but this is it exactly: http://www.konuspro.com/en/site/product_description/3x_9x32mm_1 and I may just have to go out and grab a $100 nikon (dicks/f&s has the prostaff 3X9 going for $99 currently) as cheap scopes are a hassle to deal with.I didn't expect much from the scope going in, though.

I wanted the stainless steel because I knew these tended to rust, even though it isn't actually "stainless"...as evidenced by the fact that it is already rusting and I haven't even shot it. Tiny bit of surface rust just where the primer goes in and then at the bottom of the threads for some reason. 

I just took these pics. I see no rust anywhere else and the bore looks good. The gun feels pretty good overall.

cva1.JPG

cva2.JPG

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

I have same gun and love it. I also think the konus scope is very good I have shot it many times killed a few deer with it and it has always held 0.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice. I may give it a go, see if it can hold zero. I wouldn't mind saving money on a new scope right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

100 grain 777 pellets 250grain shockwaves

I use the same exact formula and rifle.  Just haven't ranged it out pass 100 yards.  I have the Simmons fixed 4X on it.  Took my first deer with it.

• Like 1

It's lighter than the silly contraption I've been hunting with for the past week and will hit harder, too. Once I get it sighted I plan on making it my primary for hunting. With some liberal electrical tape on the end of the muzzle, have you had any issues in the rain? The only other source of water ingress looks to me like it would be right where the primer seats in the breech plug--water could creep around the edges of the primer with enough time. Would a tiny dose of breach plug grease around the cap be the ticket to ensure that doesn't happen?

It's lighter than the silly contraption I've been hunting with for the past week and will hit harder, too. Once I get it sighted I plan on making it my primary for hunting. With some liberal electrical tape on the end of the muzzle, have you had any issues in the rain? The only other source of water ingress looks to me like it would be right where the primer seats in the breech plug--water could creep around the edges of the primer with enough time. Would a tiny dose of breach plug grease around the cap be the ticket to ensure that doesn't happen?

Use a balloon over the barrel also doubles as a stay for ramrod. I keep a few in my pocket with extra shots and replace after shot. I have hunted thru rain and snow for 2 years now never a issue with balloon method and never had issue with primer spot getting wet. And when I say rain I mean adks early bear hunting monsoon weather not 1 hiccup and I didn't even change rounds for SZ opener.

• Like 1

You ever shoot the powerbelts? At least the claim is they muddy the barrel less due to not being a saboted round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never could get them to group well from my old mans encore. Also have seen a lot of reports of them busting apart instead of mushrooming. Leading to poor penetration and wounded deer, or very poor blood trails. Seems like it's the lighter grain powerbelts that have this problem and supposedly the 300 grain ones are better.
  • Like 1

is the plastic a pain to clean off the rifling from the sabots?I have yet to shoot this thing. I am getting all ready for it, though.

No I don't even notice it I clean every 5 or so and only bc I choose to I've never had a problem making the bore spotless afterward. Worst spot is where the breech plug meets the powder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

No I don't even notice it I clean every 5 or so and only bc I choose to I've never had a problem making the bore spotless afterward. Worst spot is where the breech plug meets the powder

Yep that part on mine is already rusty just sitting in the box. Going to take a stab at cleaning it tonight.

• Like 1

I sold off my first gen Optima, then went with no ML for a while...Picked up the SS Wolf last year, and I love mine.  Super light, the stock for me is very comfortable to shoulder and aim.  Pretty darn accurate with just the open sights.  I have a scope and mount, but just havent installed them yet.  I too went with the SS to help against rust(some types of SS will rust, but at a much slower pace than regular steels).

Enjoy it and Good luck.

14 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

I sold off my first gen Optima, then went with no ML for a while...Picked up the SS Wolf last year, and I love mine.  Super light, the stock for me is very comfortable to shoulder and aim.  Pretty darn accurate with just the open sights.  I have a scope and mount, but just havent installed them yet.  I too went with the SS to help against rust(some types of SS will rust, but at a much slower pace than regular steels).

Enjoy it and Good luck.

Putting scope on soon. It really is super nice to shoulder. When I do it my eye is dead, absolutely dead center looking through the two rings already mounted on it. Super comfortable.

I've decided against the powerbelts for now. Reading some iffy stuff about them. I think sabots may be the way to go after all. Blackhorn 209 is THE powder to use but without the BH209 specific breech plug I'm not super confident it will consistently fire, so I may go with the pellets.

6 minutes ago, Core said:

Putting scope on soon. It really is super nice to shoulder. When I do it my eye is dead, absolutely dead center looking through the two rings already mounted on it. Super comfortable.

I've decided against the powerbelts for now. Reading some iffy stuff about them. I think sabots may be the way to go after all. Blackhorn 209 is THE powder to use but without the BH209 specific breech plug I'm not super confident it will consistently fire, so I may go with the pellets.

Core,

I dont care for the powerbelts, they shoot good, but I lost a deer with them once, so I switched to Hornady XTP sabbots.  its a .44 magnum hollow point bullet, with the .50 Cal sabbot.(devastating bullet)  I use 100grains of 777 pellets with the 777 primers, and this set up works good for my gun.