Just bought a CVA Wolf

Core

Putting scope on soon. It really is super nice to shoulder. When I do it my eye is dead, absolutely dead center looking through the two rings already mounted on it. Super comfortable.

I've decided against the powerbelts for now. Reading some iffy stuff about them. I think sabots may be the way to go after all. Blackhorn 209 is THE powder to use but without the BH209 specific breech plug I'm not super confident it will consistently fire, so I may go with the pellets.

I've been using the regular breech plug with the Bh209 and it's fired every time so far. I think as long as you keep the breech plug clean it will be alright. But I did order the other breech plug last week so I won't have to worry about it. It should be here by Friday hopefully. I'll let you know if there's any difference in accuracy or anything between the two plugs.
  • Like 1

Have you used a coat before? I never knew they existed until I saw your post. I see others like them. I have been walking around with my scope caps off because I want a minimum of things to do before taking a shot (already I have to bring my ear muffs down--even though they are amplified I often just have them above my ears for natural hearing). 

Have you used a coat before? I never knew they existed until I saw your post. I see others like them. I have been walking around with my scope caps off because I want a minimum of things to do before taking a shot (already I have to bring my ear muffs down--even though they are amplified I often just have them above my ears for natural hearing). 

Yep. This is the only type of scope cover I've ever used and all I care for. Protects the scope from the elements and damage while looking pretty good in the process. I usually pull the cover up a bit on each end so that the elastic is kinda over top the objective so I can very easily just pinch the material and give it a slight tug and it will slide up and over the glass and will just sit on top of the scope tube.

It does add a step before being able to look through and shoot but it's a step that doesn't require you to pay close attention to what your grabbing at. With the pop up covers you have to look and make sure your hitting the button. With a cover like this you can just quick reach down and pull. I've never thought it was a hinderance in all the years I've used them.

I think just the protection it provides from brush and other things hitting the scope is the best reason of all to use one.
  • Like 1

On November 26, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Core said:

F&S had these for $219 down from normal $250. The scope doesn't look awful but this is it exactly: http://www.konuspro.com/en/site/product_description/3x_9x32mm_1 and I may just have to go out and grab a $100 nikon (dicks/f&s has the prostaff 3X9 going for $99 currently) as cheap scopes are a hassle to deal with.I didn't expect much from the scope going in, though.

I wanted the stainless steel because I knew these tended to rust, even though it isn't actually "stainless"...as evidenced by the fact that it is already rusting and I haven't even shot it. Tiny bit of surface rust just where the primer goes in and then at the bottom of the threads for some reason. 

I just took these pics. I see no rust anywhere else and the bore looks good. The gun feels pretty good overall.

cva1.JPG

cva2.JPG

Hey Core Which F & S? I live on LI and just looked at their website too, did not see. Was this a Black Friday deal?

Are you guys using the BH209 using a shot primer instead of the weaker ML primers?

Ya I'm using some Remington shot shell 209s. Never had a problem with them with bh209. Definitely stay away from the regular/weaker ML primers. CCI magnums are good too. I had bad luck with federal primers using BH209. Always had the best reliability with the Remington primers though, CCI was a close second.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Indian said:

Hey Core Which F & S? I live on LI and just looked at their website too, did not see. Was this a Black Friday deal?

F&S in rochester. Also the dicks in victor NY has them, as does Walmart. Normal price is $249, but it was a BF deal down to $219 and I used a $25 off $100+ that I keep getting in the mail to get it for $195 plus tax (except I think my $25 also gave 6% bonus points).  Walmart normally has it for $247. F&S sucks me in bad at BF. I also got some Muck fieldblazer boots for $70. $89 was sale price, through a pack of targets on to bring me up to $103 and then another $25 off $100 card :D

The only blackhorn 209 powder supplier in this area is Beikirch and when I went in today the guy said he hasn't had any in this year. Clearly disinterested in the entire topic. Bass pro in auburn has some but I am not driving there, so I'll probably use the pellets. Beikirch did have 100 count 30 grain pellets for $5 so that seems like s solid price. $.20 shot even if I use 120 gr in pellets.

I assume I can use normal shotgun 209 primers even with pellets (even though pellets are fine with lower end ML primers...?).

• Like 1

F&S in rochester. Also the dicks in victor NY has them, as does Walmart. Normal price is $249, but it was a BF deal down to $219 and I used a $25 off $100+ that I keep getting in the mail to get it for $195 plus tax (except I think my $25 also gave 6% bonus points).  Walmart normally has it for $247. F&S sucks me in bad at BF. I also got some Muck fieldblazer boots for $70. $89 was sale price, through a pack of targets on to bring me up to $103 and then another $25 off $100 card

The only blackhorn 209 powder supplier in this area is Beikirch and when I went in today the guy said he hasn't had any in this year. Clearly disinterested in the entire topic. Bass pro in auburn has some but I am not driving there, so I'll probably use the pellets. Beikirch did have 100 count 30 grain pellets for $5 so that seems like s solid price. $.20 shot even if I use 120 gr in pellets.

I assume I can use normal shotgun 209 primers even with pellets (even though pellets are fine with lower end ML primers...?).

Yes you can use pretty much any primer for pellets. But I'd use hot primers at all times just to be sure. Better to have hot reliable primers than weak ones. If you stick with Remington or CCI's you should never have a problem. Federal and Winchester primers are the two I stay away from these days
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Core said:

F&S in rochester. Also the dicks in victor NY has them, as does Walmart. Normal price is $249, but it was a BF deal down to $219 and I used a $25 off $100+ that I keep getting in the mail to get it for $195 plus tax (except I think my $25 also gave 6% bonus points).  Walmart normally has it for $247. F&S sucks me in bad at BF. I also got some Muck fieldblazer boots for $70. $89 was sale price, through a pack of targets on to bring me up to $103 and then another $25 off $100 card :D

100 ct 30 gr 777 for $5?

I bought the SS Wolf a few weeks ago on a similar sale. I always shoot BH209 but w/o the BH209 BP, I went with 777 pellets and the XTPs and already hate the dirty barrel difference. But, I also only hunt with this thing for a few days a year, so I almost hate to invest more money for the BP now that I have some 777 pellets. The stock Konus will stay on for this year's MZ season and I'll replace it this summer, although I don't ever plan to shoot 150+ yards with this thing anyway. Rarely have a hunting spot with that kind of visibility and openness. The Wolf is light, short, and works great for me in those 100 and in shots with minimal fuss. Would keep the Konus, but I hate the eye relief on it.

CCI 209M has been a proven performer for me. Used them in 777 and BH209 setups for 10+ years.

• Like 1

I found one thing I absolutely love about this gun compared to all other guns I've carried afield. The short barrel is awesome for walking through the thick stuff. When hanging over my shoulder on the sling I can duck under branches and the barrel doesn't hit. It hangs low enough to stay behind me and not get hung up on stuff. Very awesome for walking around!

43 minutes ago, phade said:

100 ct 30 gr 777 for $5?

Yeah. Apparently that's a ridiculous price. I didn't buy any yesterday because I wasn't sure if that was a good or average price, but field & stream today wanted $42.99 for 100 count of 50 gr!!!! That would make it $1 in powder per shot. I went back to the other place and indeed they want $5 a box of 30 gr. I bought four boxes. Guy said they are winding down muzzleloader stuff. Although his label says you could use five pellets, Hodgdon says only use up to 3 pellets and 100 gr maximum charge. I wonder why...I also had hoped to go with 100 gr minimum, not 90. The wolf is rated to 150 gr magnum loads. 

But anyway, 100 pellets and 3 per shot is $.15 per shot in powder. Field & Stream had normal prices on Powerbelt pellets but $24.99 for 15 count of 250 gr shockwave, $20 for 20 count hornady SST (same thing), and Walmart has the very exact same shockwaves for $13/box, so I'll go to walmart and pair 250 gr shockwaves with the 90 gr charge.

Finally, gander mountain had the best stock on primers so I got some Remington 209 STS shotgun primers that also say they are suitable for inline muzzleloaders. $12/box (seems expensive relatively speaking).

This should give me a total cost per shot of about $1.20 including whatever I use to clean it. 

777.png

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

I remember with my old Wolf, pre quick pull plug, I dropped it down to one 50gr 777 pellet so my FIL could shoot it. He won't shoot much past 50 yards anyway, but it shot well out to 75 yards. I ended up hunting with it the following year and killed a nice doe with it at 40 yards. I don't see a lot of people shooting 150 gr. loads out of the Wolf as there really isn't a real-world case for it IMO. You just spend 50% more in pellet cost.

I might go buy some of these 30 gr loads and see what it does with 60 or even 90 gr. At 90, I am sure the gun will be fine out to 100 yards and I could get 33 shots for minimal cost including XTPs/sabots and primers.

• Like 5

Can anybody think of why I shouldn't use 4 of these 30 gr if I want 120 total? The CVA is rated up to 150 and CVA recommends pellets if doing that. Hodgdon says no more than 100 gr with their 50 gr or their 30 gr BUT they also have 60 gr magnums--two of which equal 120! So CVA seems to think it's fine, hodgdon for some reason doesn't. I have to imagine that these hodgdon magnums are absolutely nothing but two of the 30 gr; surely the formula and all that is the same, so 4 X 30 would be the same as 2 X 60? I am sure 90 gr will be fine, but I'd like to know for sure :) Also want to play with loads to maximize accuracy. I really do want this thing to have acceptable accuracy out to 200 yards.

Glad to hear a single 50 gr took a deer. I bet that's fairly comfortable to shoot like that, too.

Going to get shockwaves like i said but also some xtp at walmart, they have a case of 30 for about $14 or so, which seems a good price for a saboted bullet to me.

• Like 1

Can anybody think of why I shouldn't use 4 of these 30 gr if I want 120 total? The CVA is rated up to 150 and CVA recommends pellets if doing that. Hodgdon says no more than 100 gr with their 50 gr or their 30 gr BUT they also have 60 gr magnums--two of which equal 120! So CVA seems to think it's fine, hodgdon for some reason doesn't. I have to imagine that these hodgdon magnums are absolutely nothing but two of the 30 gr; surely the formula and all that is the same, so 4 X 30 would be the same as 2 X 60? I am sure 90 gr will be fine, but I'd like to know for sure  Also want to play with loads to maximize accuracy. I really do want this thing to have acceptable accuracy out to 200 yards.

Glad to hear a single 50 gr took a deer. I bet that's fairly comfortable to shoot like that, too.

Going to get shockwaves like i said but also some xtp at walmart, they have a case of 30 for about $14 or so, which seems a good price for a saboted bullet to me.

I tell ya 100 grain (sure 90 be good to) and 300 grain shockwaves and you should be drilling them at 200

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can anybody think of why I shouldn't use 4 of these 30 gr if I want 120 total? The CVA is rated up to 150 and CVA recommends pellets if doing that. Hodgdon says no more than 100 gr with their 50 gr or their 30 gr BUT they also have 60 gr magnums--two of which equal 120! So CVA seems to think it's fine, hodgdon for some reason doesn't. I have to imagine that these hodgdon magnums are absolutely nothing but two of the 30 gr; surely the formula and all that is the same, so 4 X 30 would be the same as 2 X 60? I am sure 90 gr will be fine, but I'd like to know for sure  Also want to play with loads to maximize accuracy. I really do want this thing to have acceptable accuracy out to 200 yards.

I think it has something to do with getting uneven burn when you stack too many pellets in there. If the pellets don't seat real tight your not going to get a good burn. And you can't really ram jam them in there cause you'll crush the pellets. Which then leads to messed up burns. I'm pretty sure that's what I've been told in the past.

21 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

That's what I thought too lol. I noticed the other day that CVA actually guarantees that the accura will be the most accurate MZ you've ever shot or your money back. Pretty ballsy guarantee but pretty cool at the same time.

My dad shoots the V2 , I have the Apex ,they both are really good shooting ML .

• Like 1

T/C Shockwave 250 gr, 15 count
Field & Stream: $24.99
Walmart: $12.76

^^^ Yes, seriously, HALF the price

Traditions Smackdown 250 gr, 15 pack
Walmart: 11.76

I am told the smackdown, which is made by hornady (says on the box) is the exact same as the T/C shockwave, which is exactly the same as the hornady SST.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1