Question To Stay Warm

DirtTime

Yeah, I know it has been asked before, but............

Trying to figure out how to keep the g/f warm on sits. She has bad feet so still hunting is off the books. I bought her hand and toe warmers ( which she didn't use this morning ), her core was warm, but her legs, feet, and hands got cold. I give her a lot of respect, she toughed it out for three hours.

It's her first year, so she is trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. I put a pair of my snowboarder socks in her pack for next week, she already has the hand and feet warmers, trying to help her figure out what will work for her.

Anyone have any tips? 

The core is always the last thing to get cold ,when the body gets in a cold condition it starts shutting down blood flow to the extremities ,its the bodies way of protecting the organs . Have her try putting one of those sore muscle heat patches with the sticky stuff on the kidney portion of her back .

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

From a blind correct ? Got a good sleeping bag ? Take off shoes and climb in with the lower part of your body leaving your hands and arms free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhhh, I don't know man, if i had my wife in a ground blind with a sleeping bag ... I mean seriously ,im only human.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 8

On real cold sits I use thick, flip away wool mittens. Don't cheap out. Mine are wool rich and I think they cost me like 50 bucks. Put hand warmers in the finger tips of the mittens. Mittens are warmer than gloves. For the feet, thick wool sock on first covered by one or two layers of cotton socks, to absorb the sweat and pull it way from the feet. Legs,,,I do an Under Armor base then regular long Johns, then insulated pants (bibs work best) For the core, layer up with Under Armor first, then wool blend, then cotton, then the rest  I can sit for hours……...

Edited by ants
  • Like 1

Put on another layer or two.  I find a pair of sweats and a outer rain gear holds in heat nice.  Layer!   Otherwise get warmer clothes, feet I would get larger boots for sitting and put hot pads on bottom and top if your still cold.  Socks wear a hiking sock that removes moister and a thick pair of wool socks.  Bibs hold in heat and so do hoods and hats.  Depending on how long your walk in is I would not fully dress until in the blind.  Otherwise the sleeping bag is a good idea I think if its really cold.  Hand warmers in thick mittens is the way to go for people who get really cold along with glove liners and the big hand warmer sock. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

From a blind correct ? Got a good sleeping bag ? Take off shoes and climb in with the lower part of your body leaving your hands and arms free.

No, we never set up the blind. It was in her CUV, but we decided not to use it. I gave her the cushion I use under my knees for bow hunting for padding, she put it on the pail, it has a slot for a warmer, but she didn't use the warmers.

She has the will and desire, I just need to keep her warm to stay with it. 

When I hunt my blind in the cold, I'll throw my vest on the ground to keep my feet on.

It doesn't make your feet feel any warmer, but it doesn't allow the cold ground to continue to rob any more heat from your feet than it actually can.

• Like 2

Use those full length foot warmers and the other ones that are sticky back...stick them to her thighs or back or anywhere...not on skin...and open them 30 minutes early...they need oxygen to activate and will stay warm along time if used right...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For cold hands try one of those strap on muffs. Mine is from Cabelas but there are lots of choices. I use the hand warmers inside that and only wear very thin gloves.  My hands stay completely warm and no loss of dexterity with the thin gloves.

That's all I use too. Haven't used gloves this year except walking in or out of the woods.

• Like 1

A little snuggle to share body heat?.........Or boots two sizes big to have room for heavy wool socks with enough room to move the toes. A tight fit restricts blood flow and feet get colder, faster. And oversized ice fishing mittens with a hand warmer inside, will keep hands warm all day. And you can easily slip your hands out when needed. Also a good wool hat, that covers the ears and a neck gaiter make a huge difference, when used in cold weather. 

• Like 2

make sure shes not overdressed before you head out. Dress very light for the walk in. If shes over dressed on the walk in she will sweat and nothing but a hot shower and a glass of wine by the fire place will get her warm again. Dress light and a heavy sleeping bag...Great suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In addition to the good advice given by other members, another option is to get yourself a portable Mr. Heater heater for the blind. They are small and use the disposable 1 lb. propane tanks. They have them in several sizes and models and they will warm up a ground blind in no time. It is not necessary to keep them on all the time you are in the blind- you can turn them on and off as needed. They will also burn off any dampness in the blind, which contributes to getting cold. My son gave me one for a birthday present and I only will use it on the most bitter cold days, but you may want to use it more often for the g/f.

valoroutdoors.com

http://www.basspro.com/Mr-Heater-Portable-Buddy-Propane-Heater/product/10210207/

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried microwaved rice in a sock for those close to home hunts.

Wondering how long they retain heat outdoors in hunting temperatures.

I know it keeps pregnant women comfy cozy on the couch when nuked in a big long tube sock. Curious if some bean bag size pouches would be worth carrying as "rechargeable hand warmers" if they stayed warm for any period of time.

Has anyone ever tried microwaved rice in a sock for those close to home hunts.
Wondering how long they retain heat outdoors in hunting temperatures.
I know it keeps pregnant women comfy cozy on the couch when nuked in a big long tube sock. Curious if some bean bag size pouches would be worth carrying as "rechargeable hand warmers" if they stayed warm for any period of time.

My 92 year old dad uses the store bought variety on his neck and back all day , every day. They seem to lose their warmth pretty quick as when I'm over I'm always hearing the microwave with them in it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I seem to remember them lasting about an hour or so and the smell wasn't too pleasant if you overcooked them,lol

I may make a few to try anyhow for those cold winter days shoveling the driveway. Seems like that would be more practical than opening a new pack of hot handz warmers that last 12 hours, for a 1 hour job.