I'm going to buy more orange today.

Rockspek

I've been hunting with an orange hat, orange vest that doesn't fully cover like a vest should and and orange backtag holder. I'm going to get and orange jacket and pants if I can afford them today.  I started thinking about it yesterday as I was sitting in a chair with my hood up.  From behind who could even see me.  I know accidents still happen but it can't hurt being very visible.  I hunt where I would think no one else was on private property.  Yesterday I got cold so I got up and walked a little near a bedding area on the property kinda close to where I was sitting.  Don't I see fairly fresh tracks that aren't mine.  

On one property I hunt I know the neighbor that hunts behind me and we communicate when either of us are out.  I'm going to make a good effort to get to know the neighbors at the other property who tend to set their stands 50' off the property line facing me.   Bullets sometimes travel farther than anticipated.

• Like 7

I wear a blaze orange vest over my jacket , and an orange hat and have an orange Back Tag Holder on a camo backpack . However , I have a camo seat pad that is attached to my backpack so it covers the tag holder . I am going to cover the seat pad with one of the orange Field & Stream bags . I only hunt private property but no sense in taking any chances . 

• Like 1

I use to just  use a orange camo vest and hat but this year i got a full size orange jacket with the black camo pattern  with big interior and exterior Pockets so I don't even need a backpack.

Usally i just wear blue jeans pants so they pretty much stand out almost like blaze orange  to humans anyway .

Im hunting public so its a most for me . But it seems like more  accidental shootings are happing on private land  probably because people don't expect anybody to be there I'm assuming.

Edited by Deerstalker

I wear an orange vest, always.  I store a lot of gear in the big pockets, but I do carry a backpack (camo) too.  I usually will have an orange hat, unless it is raining, then I wear a waterproof camo hat.  I should probably get an orange waterproof hat for when I need that.

My neighbor told me on Opening Day: ,"By the way, we wear full camo and sit on the ground or in stands. Safety First! " Amazing. Not even a stitch of orange?  And you tell me Safety First?   

Not sure why it is not required in NYS, seems like a no brainier rule to me.....maybe that's why.  Maybe they could reverse the Back Tag rule at the same time.

I've got orange bibs, hat, neck gaitor, and gloves.  Is there really a reason not be be orange?  I guess if a person enjoys getting shot, it might be a way to make things happen...

In PA you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but you have to wear orange to hunt.  In NY you have to wear the helmet but orange is optional.  I just don't get this country sometimes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mr.Zach said:

I've got orange bibs, hat, neck gaitor, and gloves.  Is there really a reason not be be orange?  I guess if a person enjoys getting shot, it might be a way to make things happen...

In PA you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but you have to wear orange to hunt.  In NY you have to wear the helmet but orange is optional.  I just don't get this country sometimes.

do you need more government intervention in your life. seems to me the democrats have done enough thanks i am a free man with a brain and can make my own choices. I dont see any law that makes me wear orange would make you or anyone else safer. next time you have a thought just stick it on the shelf with all your orange clothes. what you gonna do when an idiot with a license to hunt shoots you anyway. at least they will be able to find you in all that orange... look man people are starting to have a hard time getting across the street without getting hit by a car...even retards propagate.

5 hours ago, vizslas said:

do you need more government intervention in your life. seems to me the democrats have done enough thanks i am a free man with a brain and can make my own choices. I dont see any law that makes me wear orange would make you or anyone else safer. next time you have a thought just stick it on the shelf with all your orange clothes. what you gonna do when an idiot with a license to hunt shoots you anyway. at least they will be able to find you in all that orange... look man people are starting to have a hard time getting across the street without getting hit by a car...even retards propagate.

Yes, in NYS you do have the right to be an absolute idiot. And I have certainly seen a pile of them out in the woods including a few dressed completely in camo (complete with face paint) hunting opening day on a very intensely pressured chunk of state land. It really makes you wonder what camouflaged idiot is hunkered down in the woods behind that deer you are about to shoot at. He's doing his best to ensure that you never find out until the final scream.

I know what a terrible imposition and tremendously dire encroachment on your rights that a mandatory blaze orange law would be for you. Why that is just plain dictatorial isn't it?.....lol. Arguing against blaze orange based on legal rights is just damn foolishness.

I'll tell you what it makes me real nervous is to be hunting around someone who thinks so little of their life and hunting safety. It makes me wonder how much disregard they have for my life and safety.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes, in NYS you do have the right to be an absolute idiot. And I have certainly seen a pile of them out in the woods including a few dressed completely in camo (complete with face paint) hunting opening day on a very intensely pressured chunk of state land. It really makes you wonder what camouflaged idiot is hunkered down in the woods behind that deer you are about to shoot at. He's doing his best to ensure that you never find out until the final scream.

I know what a terrible imposition and tremendously dire encroachment on your rights that a mandatory blaze orange law would be for you. Why that is just plain dictatorial isn't it?.....lol. Arguing against blaze orange based on legal rights is just damn foolishness.

I'll tell you what it makes me real nervous is to be hunting around someone who thinks so little of their life and hunting safety. It makes me wonder how much disregard they have for my life and safety.

I personally think the guy who does not want to take responsibility and use some  blaze orange is probably the same guy who breaks other safty rules, like shooting indiscriminately and not unloading his gun in a safe manner.

Every once in a while I see one of these guys  on public land and avoid them like a disease  or i nicely tell them you should have some orange on.

Its one of those things like unloading your gun in a safe manner .

Its a safty thing that you should fellow religiously

If there is a law or not anyway  just like looking both ways when you cross the street . You should know to with out a law .

As is NY state highly recommends  you wear blaze orange when hunting!!

If it takes a fine to get them to use it . It does not bother me one way or the other . The problem is how do you inforce what someone wears  on private property when they hunt? Really cant and it seems like most these accidents are happening on private land and even worse among people who know each other.  Maybe we should let nature take its course and decrease the  dumb gene pool by letting them shoot each other. Eventually only the people that  are smart enough to wear blaze orange and follow safety precautions when using a firearm will be left and this problem will solve itself in a few hundred years.

Edited by Deerstalker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cabinboy said:

I wear orange even though I hunt my own property where no one else is supposed to be hunting, you just never know.I never have a problem filling my tag while wearing orange during gun season so don't see the need to wear camo unless you plan on hunting where you shouldn't.

Old timers use to hunt with blue jeans and those red colored checherd clothes  and before that just regular clothes no camo   100 or more years ago and had no problem killing off all the wildlife in a area . Camo is more of a thing to avoid other humans . Then animals .  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I wear a breakup orange vest and IMO it's better camo than most of the green blob stuff that's popular as far as a deer is concerned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's amazing how clueless most hunters are to this!

• Like 1

I dont see any law that makes me wear orange would make you or anyone else safer. next time you have a thought just stick it on the shelf with all your orange clothes. what you gonna do when an idiot with a license to hunt shoots you anyway. at least they will be able to find you in all that orange... look man people are starting to have a hard time getting across the street without getting hit by a car...even retards propagate.

Well this quote surely gives those last 3 words merit. There is one huge thing that wearing orange can do for the poor guy that gets shot wearing it.  It can assure that the individual ,mentioned in those last 3 words, gets properly prosecuted. That instead of it was just a hunting accident really....I just couldn't see him.