Son's 1st deer

Big Indian

A bit of a late post, but here goes.

My son, Alex ,18 was finally able to hunt a gun opener ( he wrestled all through high school and his dedication to the sport always prevented him from the gun season) 

We went out for the opener and it was a beautiful day, both weather wise and personally, it was him, my dad and one of my brothers. I wanted to sit with him, in a spot everyone in my family has been lucky from, especially since it was his first gun opener, it's on a big rock, overlooking a bank, a bowl and a flat. The day started off slow and he actually said he was a bit bored. I told him to be thankful he was not freezing his butt off and described to him many a long day in the woods cold as heck and not seeing any deer. Around 11:00 we heard something coming around the bank to our right, he spotted it before me and it was a doe, she was moving quite quickly with her tongue hanging out of her mouth. I told him that only means one thing, and to get himself ready. Approximately 5-10 minutes later he said he sees another deer, I told him to get ready and let the deer get as close as he can, then it came into my view, and it was like I was seeing a deer in the woods for the first time ever. ( my pulse doubled) This was a monster, and I knew it, he first appeared about 60-70 yards in exactly the same path the doe took, and I can now see and hear him giving low and constant grunts. As he got within 30 yards, I whispered any time you're ready and braced myself for the shot as Alex was only 3 feet to my left. He fired, and I did not see if the deer was hit or not as he wheeled and went on a straight run down hill away from us, I then took a shot, just in case but missed, as he went over the next bank and out of site. Alex gets up and say's I think I missed, I say, not sure but lets get down and look for blood etc. Alex immediately found hair and I found blood, and a lot of it, the kind of blood that accompanies a good lung hit. As we progressed down the bank in the direction the deer went, it became evident to me that he was hit well, and we would find him quickly, then we came upon 2 spots where he fell to the ground and got up again. Just after the last fall, I spotted the deer and told Alex to look to his right ! The look on my son's  face was priceless and it's a moment I'll remember and cherish forever. Not only did he get his first deer, but he shot a true deer of a lifetime . The picture of me him and my dad was submitted to the Catskill Mountain News with an article regarding three generations of hunters, I hope to see it printed soon. Thanks all for reading and sharing in this story, I am still on cloud 9 and probably will be for a while.

IMG_20161119_120948104_HDR.jpg

Resized_20161119_120623.jpg

IMG_20161119_120802853.jpg

• Like 38