New hunter

Todd67

I live in 3F, but don't have a scoped shotgun (I assume I would need a scope, maybe not for close shots).  Went to my parent's in 4A on TG weekend - about 100 acres wooded - some neighbors lent me their stands.  Didn't see a single deer morning, evening, or next morning.  I heard many shots within a few miles, but nothing on their property.  Now I'm wondering what to do for the rest of the season.  Reading the forums looking for ideas.  Maybe something closer to home, but I'm a little wary of public land...

Can't kill a deer if u aren't in the woods!!! Spend as much time as u can. Public land is hard to hunt but the pressure has dropped a lot after opening wk. all I can say is wear orange and be in the woods! And if u really want to hunt and see deer and want to truly love the sport!!! Take up archery!!! So much nicer. Deer are doing what they do. Not running scared because there's 20 orange guys pushing them and unloading on them. Just my .02! Good luck out there be safe!!

You're fairly close to a lot of areas without a lot of restrictions so you should have a fair amount of spots to choose from.

The majority of land in NY is privately owned so unless you're able to lease a spot or get permission from an owner, public land is all you can really do.

I was also pretty averse to hunting public land, all those stories of trigger happy idiots shooting anything that moves and whatnot. I've been out to the catskills once, the day before thanksgiving and only saw one truck parked in the area I was in. Didn't see any deer but had a good hike at least.

Not sure if that was an anomaly or not, going to try my luck in some other public forests this weekend as well and hope for the best.

Welcome aboard. Agreed, get out there. Keep the wind in your face, the more you're out there the better chance you have of seeing something. Did you practice with unscoped shotgun ? I would bet most deer are shot within 50 yards or so anyhow so an unscoped shotgun will suffice for now providing you shot , dialed it in and know how it shoots.

Yea I would definitely visit the public lands in your area.  You could even make it a point to visit someplace new each week and soon you'll have more hunting ideas than days to implement them.  Bring your retriever and shotgun or a .22 and small game hunt while scouting.  I used to bring a camera, field manual and notebook too, but you can get apps to do everything you'd need these days and that really helps on weight and bulk.  I like to take good notes because everything blurs together after a while.    I spend hours well into the evening using Google Earth and making plans.       

Regarding the horror stories, from all that I've heard over the years I must say I've been disappointed in how little craziness I've seen on public land.  In fact, the scariest thing I've ever had to do as a hunter (so far) is approach armed poachers who were criminally trespassing on a piece of property that belonged to a family member.  

The problem I have with public land is that there could be a bunch of guys headed out on the same day to hunt the same area as you because they read the same articles about hunting public land developed the same strategies.  The only deer taken on opening day where I hunted was harvested close to where everyone parked. The rest of us all got out there at 4 AM and walked miles to the far reaches of the border when we could have tailgated in the parking lot until 9 am.  It's the same think when you get to the checkout of a supermarket.  The only 6 people in the store all finish shopping at the exact time; meanwhile once the 6 shoppers filter through the cashier goes back to playing solitaire...  Showing up for hunting seems a lot like this on public land from time to time.  

• Like 2

Much of the presser on state land drops off now.  Great time to check out new area and scout/hunt at the same time.  If the land you are hunting has good sign I would say stick it out or at least try it a few more days.  Welcome aboard, good luck and be safe!