remington 760

tda

just bought my first rifle, new in box, 1978 remington 760. Always wanted one and finally got it. I am going to hunt this gun and am looking for info on bullet choice. whitetails and incidental black bear will be the targets. at this point i am looking for recommendations on factory loads. any thoughts would be appreciated.

21 minutes ago, tda said:

oops! 30-06. couldn't believe my luck. should have it by next week. looking forward to running some ammo through it. by the way i'll be mounting a 2x7 leupold on it.

Amish Machine Gun............. :)

Great score if that's what you're pining for. Not my cup O tea but I understand 110%!!

I had a left hand (just the stock and safety) 760 BDL in .308 back in the early 80's, twas a lovely gun I wish I still had just out of nostalgia. 

Let us know how she shoots.

Those 760s have a rep for being good shooters..

They were popular with PA hunters because with the detachable box mag they were handy to load while pointing out a truck window....<<GRIN>>....

Good score, my friend....Try some plain Jane Rem corelocts  in 150 grain, and if they don't group as well as you like, try them in 180 grain... Chances are, one or the other, or more likely BOTH will group well..

If they don't there are about a bazillion other 30-06 factory loads for you to try, and most any of them will work just fine if applied to the vital areas of a deer....Or moose.....or bear....etc. etc....

• Like 1

Jesus it took me a few minutes to wipe the drool of my screen, if it's a carbine I might need to change my underpants as well.

Awesome score, although it's NIB I would bet a few dollars that the o ring is bad, it's a 2$ part and a five minute fix and even if you can't feel the forend rattle I would have it changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...