What makes or breaks certain hunters?

Buckmaster7600

I'll start with the background to my question.

My cousin has owned the camp I hunt out of in the ADKS for 11 years and has never killed a deer up there. He has about the same amount of time to hunt as I do but just can't put it together.

What do you guys think makes some hunter successful year after year and others not? Properties to hunt aside because we live in a state with a ton of quality state land so I don't buy the "my place sucks" argument.

I have an uncle who killed a nice buck every year for about 10 years and 3 years ago the neighbor sold some land and changed crops and he hasn't killed a deer since, to me his problem is that he is failing to adapt and that the bucks are still there just not where they were.

Myself I have never and will never consider myself a good hunter because I'm not. I move too fast still hunting and tracking and I can't sit for more than an hr in a stand. The only things that makes me a successful hunter is my stubbornness and my "grunt" mentality to keep going.

So just out of curiosity what do you guys think makes certain hunters more successful than others?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Easy answer :dumb luck !  Being at the right place and right time.

I'm no great hunter myself. I think I have some knowledge of deer hunting but that has never gotten me a wall hanger. And the deer are always a little smarter than I.

I scout, I'll play the wind, sit all day. Being out there is great regardless if I shoot a slob buck or not. Some day it'll happen by "dumb luck".

• Like 12

Passion...for the sport
I have a hunting buddy who has a hunted a certain public land site for years now ... he sees plenty of small bucks now and then a bigger one has gotten a couple two and a half year olds
he is very content with this.... he recently brought me to the land this year as I needed a new place to hunt within two weeks of setting up I move my stand 4 times and my cameras he couldn't understand why
By the end of the second week I had a ten-pointer 2/8 pointers and 3/6 pointers all on camera. .
He said where are these deer coming from I didn't know we had such big deer in here I said you have to research the area and keep adapting and be patient
This is why I call it passion as I enjoy that a lot of people don't
A lot of them want to walk in off the trail sit down and have a deer come by instantly that's not how it works

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1. Quality property makes a big difference.

2.  A willingness and ability to learn.

3. Analytical abilities, which requires knowledge of the game, making observations and putting together a game plan when observations are made.

4.  Flat out determination.

5. Experience.

6. Capitalizing on opportunities - preparing for that moment.  Simple fact, not everyone is created equal at the moment of truth.

I am sure there are other factors, but these are some of the biggies.  Frankly, 2-6 apply to almost anything we do and impact our level of success.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 11

Nothing makes or breaks a hunter. That is a projected perception imposed by others. Mr B is a good hunter and hasn't shot a deer in I  think 15 yrs...He could have every single year,just doesn't,he goes out and puts in full days at times...watches them walk. This is his reality of hunting. When he finally crosses paths with "That" deer he will shoot it. In the mean time he's taken coyotes and enjoying the time all hunters do on stand.

This differing from me...I'm a crazed preparer,sign checker,analyzer. I shoot deer. That really doesn't make me a better hunter,just different than some.

• Like 5

I see two things as being big factors , time and location .

For me I have lots of time to hunt ( worked 4 days in Nov.) and a spot with a fair number of deer . Then there is the 30 years I've hunted the same, spot. My daughter has a grand total of 3 1/2 hours on stand this year( over two sits ) and shot one of 8 deer she saw .

• Like 2

I would tend to agree with turkeyfeathers. During bow season you can use your skills to try and concentrate on where a certain buck is or to pattern how the deer are moving in your area. When it comes to gun season it is a whole different matter. I know in my area they have gone pretty much nocturnal and it is rare to see one moving in the day time. Trail cameras placed in strategic areas also show they are moving more at night than in the day.

Last year was the first year I got skunked in a long time. I hunted harder than I ever had while my brother in law that has about as much knowledge about deer as I do sewing shot four deer.

Being in the right place at the right time is more important than skill during gun season in my opinion and it looks like I probably won't be in the right place at the right time again this year. If so it will be the first time I have ever been skunked two years in a row.

Success means something different to everyone here I am sure. Just look at some of the other threads like the one about AR's or the Texas Heart Shot. Some agree and some don't and there are even debates about whether or not I should agree with your success versus my success. It is measured on an individual basis so it's hard to explain why some are "more successful" than others each year when it comes to hunting. Just because a hunter shoots a deer every year and another doesn't, does not mean that both hunters weren't successful in what they set out to accomplish.

Our society has turned into one of instant gratification so if it doesn't happen within say 2 or 3 hours on a hunt , its on to something else for most people. Passion or the  "grunt" mentality is not found in every person. Lets face it, a lot of hunters half ass it at some point, myself included. To me it comes down to drive. Do you have the drive or motivation to stick with it and spend as much time as possible chasing what you are after? Again, a large percentage have other things going on that prevent them from spending every second out there and not seeing anything on stand does not satisfy that instant gratification.

I set up trail cameras before bow season and get pics of some nice deer. I see where they come from and I see where they are headed but do not have access to where they are going. It's frustrating and yes I have bagged early a few times as I wasn't getting the gratification I expected from seeing all the action on the cams. Its funny because I find myself comparing how I hunt to how my buddy hunts as well. He is older than me and has a busier schedule but has no kids. I have two kids and a wife that isn't always understanding of my passion to be out there. During bow season this year I had almost triple the time he spent on stand and I only had a few more sightings than him. Even worse is, my time on stand the past few years has dropped in half or more. Neither one of us shot one with the bow yet we were both satisfied that it was a good season and saw deer during daylight while on stand.

So many factors play in here as everyone has mentioned above and all of them are spot on.

• Like 2

I think its all about luck, right place right time. I have been dedicated. Passion does not make you successful hunter. I basically had 63 acres to myself until last year, i had to start all over learning.

I gave up this year for a couple reason but i have still gone out a couple times just at a chance on property i don't know at all.

I think this will be my sixth year i haven't got a deer :-/

I have a couple stashed hearts in the freezer i will be able to enjoy

• Like 1

Everyone has brought up great points and many I have not thought of especially the "success differs per individual." To me a successful year is accomplishing my goal. Now everyone's goals are different but if you accomplish them year after year than I think we could all agree that would be successful.

As for the luck thing yes once in a while you can get lucky but I'm a firm believer that you make your own luck.

Moog had a great point as well with "capitalizing" on the chances we get. How many of us hear of the Giants that were missed or busted before the shot.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was at a Hal Blood seminar when he said "killing a mature buck isn't hard it's putting yourself in the position to kill the big buck that's hard" I don't think a truer statement has ever been made about hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

There are a lot of things that determine what a "good hunter" is. I truly believe some of us have a 6th sense. Having this keeps us in the game longer. You can sit for a long time know when to slow down and when to be out there. I have a buddy that comes up to my place. I have walked up to him a number of times within 20 feet. He never hears us. I have watched him stretch at his stand making all kinds of noise and movement. He wonders why he hasn't seen a deer. patience is a big aspect of hunting….just keep at it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

1. Quality property makes a big difference.

2.  A willingness and ability to learn.

3. Analytical abilities, which requires knowledge of the game, making observations and putting together a game plan when observations are made.

4.  Flat out determination.

5. Experience.

6. Capitalizing on opportunities - preparing for that moment.  Simple fact, not everyone is created equal at the moment of truth.

I am sure there are other factors, but these are some of the biggies.  Frankly, 2-6 apply to almost anything we do and impact our level of success.

Perfect! One more thing I will add, and that is drive and bordeline addiction. As I move deeper into my middle age years, I'm running into more & more guys I've known or hunted with who are either dropping out or cutting it back. I don't have a lot of hobbies beside hunting & fishing, so this is what I spend all my spare time doing. I will admit once it gets into the low 20s and colder, my desire to be outside is not very great.

Its a combo of fruitful observation and putting in the hours. Also knowing when to avoid or move on a spot. It has taken me several seasons to figure out my own little plot of just 40 acres. My success has been a combination of luck early on, but due to solid scouting feedback the last two seasons. But again, you need to put the hours in during those periods that observation and camera info suggests is best. All past failures have been a result of impatience and not putting in the time. How one enters or exists a spot can also be a factor of success or failure.

• Like 1

Having the right property is HUGE.

Also, someone once told me I'd get a lot more deer if I was more of an a-hole.  Meaning I passed up a lot of shots that others might have taken simply because it didn't feel 100% right to me.  But I've also never injured a deer so I guess I'm okay with that.

• Like 1

Luck, fortune, whatever you want to call it certainly plays some role.  But hunters that get it done year after year, aren't just lucky.   They put themselves in position with the highest odds and then capitalize when the opportunity comes.  Sure anyone can get lucky at a given moment, but the test of time weeds out a few lucky events from the well prepared, IMO.  I am still new the game, but if I truly believed it was only luck that makes the difference, I would not spend the time I do preparing, studying, scouting, analyzing, learning and shooting.  It would all be a waste.  Phade really started me on this process my first season when he asked me to list three to five reasons why I hunted a particular stand when I did.  If I couldn't do that, he suggested I should reconsider whether I am hunting the right spot.  He was right, and loves the analytics/strategy of hunting.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Phade really started me on this process my first season when he asked me to list three to five reasons why I hunted a particular stand when I did.  If I couldn't do that, he suggested I should reconsider whether I am hunting the right spot.  He was right, and loves the analytics/strategy of hunting.

Now that is some sound advice to tuck in your pocket!

Don't be afraid to reevaluate stand choices and be prepared to move if needs be. I know it can be tempting to sit tight if you found the perfect tree, with a nice view and good cover. Sometimes a more exposed spot can be better for deer action. This was my 2016 Bow experience. I had a great stand set-up that was consistently 50 yards too far from the action and had to choose a more exposed set-up to get closer.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

Everyone has given many many good answers and tips, if adhered to they will certainly will help bagging your Deer, I would like to add having proper equipment to cover your type of hunting and know exactly how to take advantage of it goes a long way to keeping a hunter in the field with success.

Clothes that keep you warm and dry in the many weather conditions a hunter may have to deal with.

Boots that are comfortable for both walking and sitting that keep your feet warm and dry.

A firearm and ammo or archery equipment that are up to the task for your terrain and having the ability and confidence of being deadly with it.

Good clear light weight binocular.

And pay attention to the wind.

Al

Edited by airedale

11 minutes ago, grampy said:

Now that is some sound advice to tuck in your pocket!

Best part Grampy is that as the years have passed, my reasons for a location tend to become more and more specific and numerous.  Its no longer just good access, right wind, near food or bedding.   It was a very solid tip from Phade that just keeps evolving and I am fortunate that we can bounce ideas off one another now.  To be clear, I am not claiming to be a great hunter, but I will continue to try to get there in a methodical fashion.  lol 

Out of likes, but I agree with many of the other comments above.

• Like 2

Getting one big buck is luck.  Getting a nice buck each and every year is not luck.  It means taking your hunting to the next level

-wind mapping your property to know exaxtly how each wind blows across your property

-not hunting a stand unless the wind is perfect and remains perfect

-getting all of your stand set up my early summer and remaining out of your prime hunting areas until after the season

-discipline to pass on many many small bucks and being fine with having buckless seasons

-remaining as scent free as possible

-reading as much as possible from experts such as Neil Dougherty/ Stergis/ etc

-starting your scouting for next year immediately after the current season ends

-trying to hunt perimeter stands on your property and only hunting high-impact stands when conditions are perfect and chances of a mature buck moving are high

• Like 1