Portable tree stands (there still aren't any truly great ones)

I've read up on tons upon tons of tree stands and I still have yet to see a single portable tree stand that is really awesome. Really awesome for me would mean:

1) Low weight
2) Quick setup
Bonus awesome:
1) Large and relatively comfortable
2) Not loud

Many using portable stands either use a climber, which can be made very light, but still take a good 10 minutes for most to get fully setup from disentangling everything from your back, putting it on the tree, climbing, securing, etc. or they use a hang on with sticks, which is also a massive hassle and takes quite a while. In both cases these are probably loud and take a solid 10 minutes, maybe longer. I've seen a guy race up a tree in five minutes on youtube with a hangon and sticks because he forgot all his safety gear.

It seems to me the best stand for most scenarios would be a light and compact ladder stand. It could be taken off the back, unfolded and quickly snapped into place, then put against a tree. 

Something like this (although this one is very heavy at 30+ lbs and it doesn't look like the locking mechanisms are as quick or hassle free as I'd like).

I know there used to be some carbon fiber climbers that people liked, but I have to think a carbon ladder stand could be made light and portable with a well designed locking system so that it can be taken up and down quickly. Forget price, assume it doesn't matter. :D

Edited by Core

I think you are crazy.  I own Lone Wolf Alpha II climbing system (4 sticks and 1 hang on stand).  I will put money on a race that I can be up a tree faster than you with a ladder stand!  Name the place.

Not to mention the stealth nature of this compared to an ugly eye sore sticking off a tree that a deer can see with a ladder stand.

Better than a climber because it doesn't matter if there are limbs on the tree, doesn't matter if the tree is straight and doesn't matter the diameter of the tree.  Best system on the market.

Its incredibly quiet as well.  I covered it in a stick on felt type material made specifically for this application.  Damn near silent.

No noisy ratchets for securing to the tree.  Just strap, pull, repeat.

I will never go back to a ladder stand or a climber.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

I think you are crazy.  I own Lone Wolf Alpha II climbing system (4 sticks and 1 hang on stand).  I will put money on a race that I can be up a tree faster than you with a ladder stand!  Name the place.

Not to mention the stealth nature of this compared to an ugly eye sore sticking off a tree that a deer can see with a ladder stand.

Better than a climber because it doesn't matter if there are limbs on the tree, doesn't matter if the tree is straight and doesn't matter the diameter of the tree.  Best system on the market.

Its incredibly quiet as well.  I covered it in a stick on felt type material made specifically for this application.  Damn near silent.

I think if I had nothing to worry about I can get to a tree and be at the top ready in about 8 minutes with my viper SD but I'll be sweating!

• Like 1

I like my Summit Viper.  Although, any long walks in, or up hill journeys are not fun with a 27 pound climber on your back.  I get sweaty easily in this scenario.  I have found that if I wear a short sleeve, or even a single base layer with no hat or gloves, and strap my layers and coat to the stand, or carry as a "pack roll" I can avoid getting sweaty.

Edited by loworange88
  • Like 1

I've read up on tons upon tons of tree stands and I still have yet to see a single portable tree stand that is really awesome. Really awesome for me would mean:
1) Low weight
2) Quick setup
Bonus awesome:
1) Large and relatively comfortable
2) Not loud

Many using portable stands either use a climber, which can be made very light, but still take a good 10 minutes for most to get fully setup from disentangling everything from your back, putting it on the tree, climbing, securing, etc. or they use a hang on with sticks, which is also a massive hassle and takes quite a while. In both cases these are probably loud and take a solid 10 minutes, maybe longer. I've seen a guy race up a tree in five minutes on youtube with a hangon and sticks because he forgot all his safety gear.

It seems to me the best stand for most scenarios would be a light and compact ladder stand. It could be taken off the back, unfolded and quickly snapped into place, then put against a tree. 

Something like this (although this one is very heavy at 30+ lbs and it doesn't look like the locking mechanisms are as quick or hassle free as I'd like).

I know there used to be some carbon fiber climbers that people liked, but I have to think a carbon ladder stand could be made light and portable with a well designed locking system so that it can be taken up and down quickly. Forget price, assume it doesn't matter.

I believe carbon isn't a great choice due to it being not as weather resistant as aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon fiber is very nasty when it breaks and there is no repairing it.

I have VERY heavy steel ladder stand - custom made by an engineer who is also a welder.

it is probably 70 lbs.  When it does get used, it is carried in on an a.l.i.c.e. pack frame over a short distance (less than 1/2 mile).

These were made in the late 80's and still work fine.  Freshen up the paint and replace the securing lines. Not one weld problem among the 3 that we have in the family.

3 ladder sections, plus seat/foot rest section.  Want less weight/height, leave out a 4 foot ladder section (try that in a commercial version).

Yes, it is noisy to carry and set up, but very quiet to climb up into.

Probably 10 minutes to set up and be in the stand. Less than five to climb down and disassemble.

Actually I haven't had a good shot to take since the last time I used it.  May be dragging it out this weekend for the first time in a few seasons.

Didn't think people who posted on Internet forums still lived under rocks but I guess this post proves that.

Multiple brands of stands and sticks.... no where near as cool as carrying a ladder stand on your head (or whatever that brilliant suggestion was posted earlier)... but then again I'm trying to convince some who take their own untried opinions as fact without justification beyond arrogance.

Safety, silence, comfort, ease and adaptability.

Good deed done for the day....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I don't consider 10 minutes a long time to climb a tree with my Summit climber. That's attaching safety harness, climbing to desired spot, strapping it down etc.  It's dang comfy to boot. It's also a piece of cake to transport

Summit all the way!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, beachpeaz said:

I'm very happy with my LW Alpha and sticks.  Stealth Strips, some bicycle tubing and accessory rope do wonders to make this system silent.  This is my first year using the LW and I'm just scratching the surface of its potential.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jdubs said:

I'm very happy with my LW Alpha and sticks.  Stealth Strips, some bicycle tubing and accessory rope do wonders to make this system silent.  This is my first year using the LW and I'm just scratching the surface of its potential.

Amen on that!  And rated to 350 lbs, so its not like its just for "light" people!  You haven't deer hunted until you spend no more than one sit in any given tree and keep the deer on their toes.

11 hours ago, gjs4 said:

Didn't think people who posted on Internet forums still lived under rocks but I guess this post proves that.

Multiple brands of stands and sticks.... no where near as cool as carrying a ladder stand on your head (or whatever that brilliant suggestion was posted earlier)... but then again I'm trying to convince some who take their own untried opinions as fact without justification beyond arrogance.

Now that made my morning.  lol.  There is something to be said about someone who is man enough to put a 70lb ladder stand on their head and walk around the woods.

11 hours ago, gjs4 said:

You might just be the first person ever to cry over a thread about tree stands; nobody else has felt the need to get rude over it. Relax.

I have put up many ladder stands by myself and thought the advertisement video was Bogus . Read the directions that come with a stand . On a ladderstand you attach ropes or straps to the seat or platform , put the stand against the tree and secure the ladder before climbing up to attach a ratchet strap . In the video , they are carrying a 30 pound stand and don't have a backpack with any gear in it . It's also not hard to move a ladderstand . Just put your head through one of the ladder openings and carry the weight on your shoulders . No biggie !

22 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

Now that made my morning.  lol.  There is something to be said about someone who is man enough to put a 70lb ladder stand on their head and walk around the woods.

Well if we're being accurate, my first post even states that the thing in the video weighs about 30 lbs not 70. It's also not the only stand on the market pretending to be a "portable ladder stand". I just think all these designs could be done more effectively.

I suspect that if money was no issue a carbon fiber one could be a lot lighter. Somebody online made a decent carbon fiber ladder that weigh 2.5 lbs. Add platform, hinges, etc. we could be really light (the price on that one online was stratospheric, though). It's also true carbon cannot be easily repaired, and also that it won't bend--it's brittle, so it's very strong until all of a sudden it's not.

But some may not know that there have been carbon fiber climbers made in the past.

Edited by Core

LONE HUNTER STAND

$ 260.00 stand with reviews like this: I don't think so.

Top Customer Reviews

By PAT on September 13, 2013
Bought it last year and the support rods and connectors all snapped in half or bent.buy the x ladder stand and save any aggravation .
Comment 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse

I had this stand for a week, and all I can say is don't waste your money. It's not safe. It's very loud, an its heavy!
Comment 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Edited by Steve D
  • Like 1

To Core,

First of all, I've been in the same situation and I've thought about this issue quite a bit too.  

Based on your requirements ---> semi-permanent stands like ladder stands that are already set up when you head out certainly  meet the requirements you have, 1. light, 2. quick, 3. quiet and 4. comfortable.  Reading between the lines, it seems like you want to move around a bit which is where the trade off comes in.  Some people use more than one ladder stand (or move it around periodically throughout the season).  I've also seen guys with hang on stands leave the hang on locked up in the tree (if they plan on returning soon) and just remove the sticks as they climb down.  It's relatively quieter, quicker and lighter for your departure and return.  

If you are 100% carry in, carry out then ladder stands as they currently exist won't perfectly meet your needs. I mean, I've never seen a guy routinely pack his ladder stand in and out each day...  So that leaves you with hang on/climbing sticks or a climber.  I really like your idea about an ultralight, portable ladder stand - build a prototype and get rich!!!  

Lone Wolf has been know as the quietest, but there are some new brands out that are comparable now.  Stlil to your point, the Lone Wolf isn't that quiet until we address the issues.  Here's a link to get you started, but there are lots of little things you can do to quiet your gear.  

I used a Summit climber for years.  It wasn't super quiet, nor was it particularly fun to pack in/out, and I was limited to limbless trees to climb but the freedom that came with it made it well worth it.  Killed lots of deer from it and it would do you just fine.  I currently use a Lone Wolf Alpha hang on with sticks. I purchased Molle Shoulder straps and kidney belt (waist belt) and I sometimes forget it's even on my back.  Things got much better for me when I reminded myself that the goal isn't to be up in the tree ASAP, but rather to be up as slowly and quietly as possible.  It might take me 20+ minutes from when I take my stand off my back to when I'm 100% ready - sometimes longer.  I bet I could ascend a tree in pitch black in 6 but why would I do that unless I was trying to impress a sexy lady hunter?    

• Like 2

Advanced Tree Stands has a neat stand design that's easier to hang. It has a stem that attaches to the tree first, then the platform and seat snap in. One variety has it's own ratchet straps (2) and the other uses conventional ratchet straps. The platform is one piece cast aluminum. Upon leaving, you can either leave it in place or remove the seat / platform if you wish. 

• Like 1

You can see an outside world through the windows of your house, plexiglass of your trailer or the clear areas of your folks basement when the suns out.

Most seem a little too out of touch with marketplace offerings or equipment advancements here. This is aside from the ladder stands made of carbon Kevlar and the Area 56 alien provided tree stand materials of courae

On 12/3/2016 at 7:06 PM, gjs4 said:

The uneducated experts of HNY no know no it alls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you stop posting drunk.

Also

You can see an outside world through the windows of your house, plexiglass of your trailer or the clear areas of your folks basement when the suns out.

Please dump on somebody else's thread (your own, preferably); if you have nothing meaningful to contribute, don't.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1