How do I clean this?

zeus1gdsm

Yeah you need to get that out or it will smell. Flat head Screwdriver or needle nose or pressure washer. You can break all that off in there and pull it out. On the under side -   you can poke in there from the back as well. You want it hollow. Just keep picking at it. Looking good.

Also noticed you lost a nasal bone on the right side and the skull cap is separating on the left side. This means you cooked it a little too long. They can be repaired with glue no problem though. I wouldn't put any more heat to it but do keep it wet in soapy water until you can work on it more. I do the initial cleaning and then soak it soapy water until I have more time to dedicate to scraping and it helps degrease it.

Edited by Zem18

No problem. Im no expert either but Ive done a few and you learn the tricks on each one to get better and faster at it. I'll snap some pictures of mine tonight as I said I would before and get them in my journal so you can see how I do it for reference. Ive never done the Elmers glue coating  but saw that on you tube last night actually. I like the matte white look and not sure if Id like the gloss look or not.

No bleach either, Peroxide, as bleach will weaken the bone.

Get some long tweezers / forceps (look at a surgical supply site) and as someone else said get the compressor out and shoot some air in there. I've done a few, I'm no expert either but the satisfaction of doing them is amazing and you'll learn tricks as you do more . The scalpels and other sharp instruments are vey helpful in those small crevices, especially behind the jaw, and ears

Edited by Big Indian

Yeah don't forget to pop those ear canals out on both sides too. Screwdriver works there. I also cut the back off where the last vertebrae connects into the brain cavity. Wayyyy easier to clean out rather than poke in that little hole. You wont see the back so as long as you can hang it, no issues. Air is a great idea as is dental picks. My buck had some major plaque build up and a touch of gingivitis.

Beetles are not cheap. I got quotes last year and the cheapest was $75 and I had already skinned the head and removed the lower jaw. Plus doing it yourself is a lot more satisfying.

Looks great Mr. G. I've never used the powder. How many coats of peroxide and powder did you use? Did you add any heat to really let the peroxide bubble up?

I'm still working on the plaque for my bow buck from last year and here I am doing my rifle buck from this year and my buddies shotgun buck. Not enough time in the day. 

Looks great for your first one. You'll notice as it dries more and more inside the house that it will yellow up a bit. You'll also notice little dark spots that almost look wet. These will be grease spots that rise to the surface out of the bone. You can re treat it with peroxide in a few months and it will whiten up again.

Super glue is your friend, embrace it, HAHAHA

Nice work.