Is it a mountain lion

DanielT

19 minutes ago, DanielT said:

A friend I work with lives between carthage and the tug hill we will say...I don't know...long tail..squared head...you tell me?Lion.jpgimage000000.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It is possible a mt lion from  north dakota made it all the way to   adks a few years back .

December 16, 2010. Lake George, New York, on the southeastern edge of the Adirondack Mountains. Out of twilight snow squalls, a cougar walked straight through a backyard near Lake George Village. The last confirmed mountain lion sighting in New York had been more than 100 years earlier.

DNA testing of hair left by the cat in its tracks later proved it was indeed a cougar. It ultimately headed south toward Interstate 95 in Connecticut; in the end, the cougar was killed on the highway.

The mountain lion came from South Dakota’s Black Hills. It could just as easily have trekked into the Northeast from states such as Oklahoma and Missouri, says biologist Michelle LaRue of the University of Minnesota. LaRue is also the executive director of the Cougar Network, an organization dedicated to studying the role of cougars in ecosystems. Cougars are returning to many of their former haunts in the Midwest and beyond, LaRue says.

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/04/phantom-of-the-forest-could-the-cougar-again-haunt-eastern-u-s-woodlands/

Edited by Deerstalker

Sorry..just asking
Won't post this stuff anymore
Would delete if I could
I should have known better

Noone ribbing ya man.

Eventually it's possible that one of the possible Mt lion pics will end up being a cougar. Never know.

I'm mean heck I had about 5 different moose in oneida/Herkimer County over the last few years. Never would have thought that would happen.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

It is strange how mountain lion topics can bring on such emotional responses. I have seen some responses that get downright personally offended that anyone would even raise the possibilities. I often wonder what causes that.

I tend to have an open mind on the subject, understanding that the odds against local mountain lion observations (pictorial or other wise) are quite unlikely, but never impossible.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

It is strange how mountain lion topics can bring on such emotional responses. I have seen some responses that get downright personally offended that anyone would even raise the possibilities. I often wonder what causes that.

I tend to have an open mind on the subject, understanding that the odds against local mountain lion observations (pictorial or other wise) are quite unlikely, but never impossible.

I think people get excited because these "mountain lion" threads invariably go down the road of thought that the New York State DEC has released them to assist in controlling the deer population. 

The only thing missing from this picture is the DEC radio collar..........

:)

23 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I think people get excited because these "mountain lion" threads invariably go down the road of thought that the New York State DEC has released them to assist in controlling the deer population. 

:)

I've heard the same nonsense theorized about coyote introduction .... lol. And if anyone ever gets to display proof of such activities by the DEC, then by all means, lets see it. But if anyone is simply posing the theoretical possibility, I guess I won't get emotionally distraught like I have seen some people react .... lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Agreed. This particular animal is a house cat, but I am fully open to the notion somebody will capture a mountain lion on a cam in new york. Even the DEC page for NY opens up the possibility; says they get a few sightings each year and most (probably being kind--it could be all) are mistaken identity, but it could happen.

8 hours ago, DanielT said:

A friend I work with lives between carthage and the tug hill we will say...I don't know...long tail..squared head...you tell me?Lion.jpgimage000000.jpg

After looking more closely and looking at the leafs  and grass for scale  you can tell that is to small to be a mt lion 

Oh yeah?! Tell that to the guy my uncle met online whose brother in laws nephews gym teachers organic beef supplier's angus got dragged off by a collared mountain lion! He's getting compensated by the DEC as long as he signs a non-disclosure agreement.
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Oh yeah?! Tell that to the guy my uncle met online whose brother in laws nephews gym teachers organic beef supplier's angus got dragged off by a collared mountain lion! He's getting compensated by the DEC as long as he signs a non-disclosure agreement.

Hehehehe...Outrageous as this sounds, I'm betting that you could walk into most any bar in upstate NY and find at least 2 or 3 people who could not only RELATE such a tale to you, but would be perfectly willing to FIGHT about it if you told them they were full of it....

• Like 2

A mountain lion has been discovered road killed in NY before, with all of the trail cams deployed in the state I'm surprised that one didn't get a selfie taken.

That said, our cat gets on our trail cams near the house frequently (she's a bit of a ham). These pics look like those.

DanielT, no worries, a thicker epidermis seems to be needed when discussing this subject online. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Hehehehe...Outrageous as this sounds, I'm betting that you could walk into most any bar in upstate NY and find at least 2 or 3 people who could not only RELATE such a tale to you, but would be perfectly willing to FIGHT about it if you told them they were full of it....

no question about it!

42 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

A mountain lion has been discovered road killed in NY before, with all of the trail cams deployed in the state I'm surprised that one didn't get a selfie taken.

That said, our cat gets on our trail cams near the house frequently (she's a bit of a ham). These pics look like those.

DanielT, no worries, a thicker epidermis seems to be needed when discussing this subject online. 

Years ago a close friend of mine spotted one in Colden and reported it, turns out it was an escapee. I think the same thing happened in Ft Erie a few years back as well

7 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Your dang right! Us folk here in the actual "upstate" region have our share of 'cougars' just you folks out in CNY, WNY, the turd that sticks off NYS, and the ADK's! Let me tell ya, some of them have some very beautiful 'fur' coats. Just don't let them get you into too much Tequila, you won't be able to shoot when the time arrives.

• Like 1