No buck hunting

stubby68

It seems that most of the states that have trophy buck hunting have a different style hunting season,, mostly with a very short gun season only a week and a short muzzleloading season and some a one buck per year limit.. 

Im not going to lie,,, I like the two buck limit here in NY and I would have little motivation to hunt if it was doe only,,, but feel no need to fill the paper trail of tags that are carelessly given out by the DEC in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I usually find that the guy who screams the loudest about hating big buck hunting is also the guy that is pissed that he doesn't have the ability to hunt and kill the biggest, baddest, most elusive whitetail in the woods... so he cries about those that choose to. He starts to blame other hunters for his inability to see and kill deer, or he blames the DEC for the lack of deer he's seeing, too many doe tags, too many buck tags etc. etc. He doesn't like the fact that there are some of us that simply enjoy hunting and don't look at it as a contest. I hunt for the excitement and enjoyment. A big buck gives me the most challenge. He is not my trophy... he is the bonus at the end of an exciting day in the woods... me against him... the ultimate game of hide and seek. I often say that some of my best and most exciting days of hunting didn't end with a kill. It doesn't matter to me how many deer there are or how many big bucks there are where I hunt. I only need one big buck to hunt... I will walk miles until I find him... and if I find him and kill him and hang him on my wall... why should you care that I killed him or that he was big? Stop worrying about how and what kind of deer the rest of us hunt and start concentrating on what you're doing... stop your pissing and moaning and start enjoying yourself. Your hunting experience has NOTHING to do with the size deer I'm hunting.

• Like 5

I usually find that the guy who screams the loudest about hating big buck hunting is also the guy that is pissed that he doesn't have the ability to hunt and kill the biggest, baddest, most elusive whitetail in the woods... so he cries about those that choose to. He starts to blame other hunters for his inability to see and kill deer, or he blames the DEC for the lack of deer he's seeing, too many doe tags, too many buck tags etc. etc. He doesn't like the fact that there are some of us that simply enjoy hunting and don't look at it as a contest. I hunt for the excitement and enjoyment. A big buck gives me the most challenge. He is not my trophy... he is the bonus at the end of an exciting day in the woods... me against him... the ultimate game of hide and seek. I often say that some of my best and most exciting days of hunting didn't end with a kill. It doesn't matter to me how many deer there are or how many big bucks there are where I hunt. I only need one big buck to hunt... I will walk miles until I find him... and if I find him and kill him and hang him on my wall... why should you care that I killed him or that he was big? Stop worrying about how and what kind of deer the rest of us hunt and start concentrating on what you're doing... stop your pissing and moaning and start enjoying yourself. Your hunting experience has NOTHING to do with the size deer I'm hunting.

Very well said!

I always tell people that I couldn't care less if I ever kill another buck. Most people don't understand, I spend so much time and money on something I don't care if I accomplish. What they don't understand is that it has so little to do with the buck and so much to do everything else. The buck is just a little pot of gold at the end of an amazing adventure. To me hunting has very little to do with the buck and it's more about me. I don't like bringing one to me or having one patterned, to me it's killing them on my terms not there's that is the biggest challenge and what I get the most enjoyment out of. Some of my finest hunting memories are of days when the buck won.

Hunt however you want and enjoy it. I don't like tree stands but I don't want them illegal for others. Just because you don't want to shoot small bucks don't try to make it so others can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to say that my goals have changed over the years. When I first started, being able to tag-out was the goal. Back when I started, the herd was such that any deer taken was quite a feat especially with a bow.

Next phase was consistently getting a buck or two every year.

Then I moved on to wanting take a good mature buck, and was willing and had the endurance to do that.

Now comes the later years where I start thinking a bit about the drag back home, and limiting my hunting range based on that concern. Now I am down to the realization that I really do prefer a good angus roast and we really only need one deer for some variety in our red meat consumption. And that deer doesn't have to be a big buck or even a buck at all.

Yes throughout the years, the grand prize always was some ungodly huge slob, but only for a short period of time did I ever obsess on that. About the time that people started measuring their success with a tape measure, I started going the other way. I began to see how with many hunters it was beginning to become antler measurements at any cost. I watched some guys become so obsessive that all other aspects of the hunt faded away and recognized some of that in my own hunting. That is when I began to reassess the goals again. The harvests requirements underwent a relaxation and more emphasis has been put on the quality of the hunt itself. I have backed off on the frenzy of the hunt, and concentrated more on the entire totality of the experience. And that is where I am at now. I know that my hunting years and abilities are now starting to see limitation. And yes if I were to drop some huge monster I would be thrilled, but there is no necessity or urgency to do so anymore. So if someone were to proclaim no bucks, I would likely be right out front hollering, "Rip-off" as loud as anybody. But in reality, I would survive it just fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nyantler said:

Well said.

I am the same way I want to hunt the biggest, and smartest deer in the woods. I want the challenge, I like setting goals even if they are so far fetched they are seem unreacheable by others but they are MY goals. I don't expect everyone to set the same goals some people don't like to challenge themselves and just go out to shoot something or everything they can get a shot at. I'm not that way never have been, I have friends that are brown it's down hunters and I befriend them because of it I just don't hunt with them. Bow season is my season, I love it! I can see a good amount of deer not usually spooked in their natural habitat acting "normal". I love to just sit and watch as my adrenaline starts to surge through my veins even knowing that I'm not going to pick up my bow. It still gets me going, I can't get enough of that feeling. Same goes for fishing I want that biggest smartest fish and every fish that hits my lure/bait gets me going in that same way that little doe did. Its all about enjoying yourself. I would love to see my brown it's down friends pass those 1 1/2 year old deer bucks or doe and they would have much more deer in their property but they don't so they don't see much. 6 deer on a 300 acres tract of land is pretty dismal.

9 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Well said.

I am the same way I want to hunt the biggest, and smartest deer in the woods. I want the challenge, I like setting goals even if they are so far fetched they are seem unreacheable by others but they are MY goals. I don't expect everyone to set the same goals some people don't like to challenge themselves and just go out to shoot something or everything they can get a shot at. I'm not that way never have been, I have friends that are brown it's down hunters and I befriend them because of it I just don't hunt with them. Bow season is my season, I love it! I can see a good amount of deer not usually spooked in their natural habitat acting "normal". I love to just sit and watch as my adrenaline starts to surge through my veins even knowing that I'm not going to pick up my bow. It still gets me going, I can't get enough of that feeling. Same goes for fishing I want that biggest smartest fish and every fish that hits my lure/bait gets me going in that same way that little doe did. Its all about enjoying yourself. I would love to see my brown it's down friends pass those 1 1/2 year old deer bucks or doe and they would have much more deer in their property but they don't so they don't see much. 6 deer on a 300 acres tract of land is pretty dismal.

I feel that everyone should do what they enjoy... my view on deer management and conservation does not enter into how I enjoy my day in the woods... how someone else is hunting and what they are shooting never enters my mind... because I don't care. Not to say that if I caught someone being unsafe or doing something illegal that I would turn a blind eye... I just don't concern myself with what others do to make their experience in the woods enjoyable. If a hunter wants to hunt button bucks only, I don't care. If he doesn't believe in shooting does, I don't care. If he fills every tag every year, I don't care. None of it stands in the way of how I spend my day hunting. I don't care if someone loves the way I hunt or hates it... don't care if they like my weapons of choice or not.. none of it concerns them as long as I'm doing it safely and legally. I can't ever remember coming home from hunting and being depressed or discouraged about the day, whether I see a deer or not. I have opinions about conservation and management but not to the extent that I would push those opinions on any other hunter.. I may speak them but only as a point of conversation or information... other than that I believe it's always better to just " shut up and hunt". I save all my BS for this forum :)

• Like 2