Who's giving it a go this week and late season with bow or muzzleloader

rob-c

20 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

My 2 yr old keeps asking me when I return in from hunting if I got any deer, cause she wants to eat deer. Lol and she actually like venison

My youngest told me a month back that she is never eating deer again and doesn't like it, but she does love venison. 

• Like 5

Out every day possible. Been a bad season with just one deer down. Freezer is in bad condition. Can't believe how bad gun season has gotten! I've lost a couple properties and have not replaced them and it has really hurt our success. That and the decline in one state spot that used to produce is a real pickle.

Heck I even started hunting some state land in 8F where they give out bonus tags and I still can't see a deer lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuck in the office all week.

Was suppose to be off last Friday, but things came up so spent most of the day in the office instead.

Still not pulled the trigger once, caught glimpse of does earlier. My best view and closet I have been was the deer standing by corner by someones fence in town (on opening day no less).  Just not willing to kill the car.

I will be out there this weekend.

I think that if a borrowed dad's muzzle-loader and disappeared for yet another weekend, my wife will make me move to the woods.

I'll be out, quite a bit in fact because I have the 9th through the 20th off, so I'll finally get a chance to spend a big block of time in the woods.  I'm not super pumped about fighting the cold, but I've armed myself with a few extra extreme cold solutions this year.  /fingers crossed for all of us...  

I have one DMP left for home (9F), and another for my in-laws (9A).    Both of these zones are overpopulated, so I will try a little more to fill at least the one at home.  Hunting the flat-lands around here just don't do too much for me now, with no more buck-tag, a full freezer, and after getting a good taste of Adirondack hunting this year.   I will donate the deer if I do get it next Saturday, my last day of shotgun hunting.  That might feed some hungry folks, save some ag crops, and landscaping, and maybe even prevent a automobile accident.

Some good friends invited me to their camp in the Southern Tier for the following late ML long weekend.  I have no deer tags left for that, but I am going anyway.  I am not bringing my ML, because it is a pain to clean and I already got a doe with it in the early season up in the Adirondacks.   I am bringing only my crossbow and my largest hunting knife.  Squirrels will be my primary objective.   I am 2 for 2 on deer with my crossbow, so I am up for the challenge of the much smaller kill-zone.   My secondary objective will be a bear.  Hopefully, I won't need that big knife.  One of the guys took a beauty from that camp a couple years ago.        

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

Out every day possible. Been a bad season with just one deer down. Freezer is in bad condition. Can't believe how bad gun season has gotten! I've lost a couple properties and have not replaced them and it has really hurt our success. That and the decline in one state spot that used to produce is a real pickle.

Heck I even started hunting some state land in 8F where they give out bonus tags and I still can't see a deer lol

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hunt state land in 8F and I've been striking out for two months now, except for the very first day of bow. I am extremely familiar with the Western most portion of the lake shore marshes, and even the section 10-12 east of that (another lake shore marsh section). I don't know where the deer are. I go deeper than virtually everyone else, but the deer just aren't showing up. I see tons and tons of tracks, and scrapes and scat but I'll be damned if these things are coming out during the day now. I can't even spook them from their bedding areas (assuming they are still there). There must be one bedding area somewhere off the land that has all the deer in a tiny little spot and they fan out at night.

I know there are other 8F spots that may be better, I am not sure :)

Edited by Core

I'll be out this week and all weekend for shotgun, and again for the muzzleloading season.  I have had no shots on deer, and have only seen two deer, and two white flags so far.  Still hoping for a late season miracle!

Plus I booked a trip to Ohio for their muzzleloader season in January.  I've never been and it sounds like a lot of fun, and some new hunting experiences.

Spent a few days doing more scouting than hunting. I think I might finally be onto something.

Need to get a couple stands pulled and moved to have any chance at filling a buck tag (or two) at this point.

ML right till the final buzzer for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

Hopeing to get out sometime this weekend on my 6g property for the late muzzleloader season, there is no late muzzleloader season on the hill in 6k

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

My area on tughill will be getting slammed, Montague 6N, closed on Sunday. I logged 0.0 hours in woods there this year. 

With that in mind. I will be out in 7M Friday and Saturday and 7 F Sunday. Have not fired a gun at a deer in 2 years. I did get a weird looking 5 point with my crossbow this year. We're also going to look at a piece of property near Whitney Point that could be our new home. I will make a separate post on access, neighbor problems. 

Muzzleload season I will be all over but out and about 

I am still at it . Heading out to Geneseo around 10 am today . I figure I have maybe 3 - 4 more times to hit the Great Outdoors before the season comes to an end . I havn't gone back to Pittsford . I wonder if Mama's Boy is still wandering around with his crossbow ! :rolleyes:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I hunt state land in 8F and I've been striking out for two months now, except for the very first day of bow. I am extremely familiar with the Western most portion of the lake shore marshes, and even the section 10-12 east of that (another lake shore marsh section). I don't know where the deer are. I go deeper than virtually everyone else, but the deer just aren't showing up. I see tons and tons of tracks, and scrapes and scat but I'll be damned if these things are coming out during the day now. I can't even spook them from their bedding areas (assuming they are still there). There must be one bedding area somewhere off the land that has all the deer in a tiny little spot and they fan out at night.

I know there are other 8F spots that may be better, I am not sure

We have been hitting Howland Island part of the northern Montezuma. Takes time learning new land. I will need to bow hunt it next year

47 minutes ago, Fletch said:

We have been hitting Howland Island part of the northern Montezuma. Takes time learning new land. I will need to bow hunt it next year

Is it decent? What are you seeing? Like I said, i see tons of sign now, even into gun season, but just no movement during the day. I have a cam up again from last weekend I'll check in a couple of days in a spot that I've seen tons of deer at (last year), so I am looking forward to seeing if the deer are in fact gone or I've just been extremely unlucky with my timing.

I have thought of montezuma in the past because it's absolutely massive and it's a reasonable drive to me. But, i don't get the impression it's possible to drive there, park and you're up and at them; don't you have to check in, get a permit, etc.

I checked maps, the northern howland part is too far for me, but the southern section is under an hour. The northern looks excellent on satellite.

Edited by Core