Not to offend

Grizz1219

Took my cameras down on 11/18, just put them back up yesterday..... Haven't hunted since the 19th.... just way to many idiots out there for my liking... trespassing... hunting out of the truck.. driving through the fields...  hunting out of my stands/blinds.... Amazing the difference in caliber of the people that bow hunt compared to some of the yahoo's that gun hunt.. put my cameras back up thinking the yahoo's have given up and hoping the deer herd goes back to a more normal pattern for black powder... Anyone else still have camera's out???? 

Grizz I'm with u. I miss bow season! Woods is a totally different place. One gun season gets here all bets are off. U think we got it bad? Imagine how the poor deer feel!!! Lol!! And as far as cameras I had 2 stolen this yr early bow. I am almost positive it were the neighbors about a 1/2 mile down the road. Followed the wheeler tracks right to there house! But I won't put any cams back up till after season! 

unfortunately it doesn't matter what type of hunting one does there are slob hunters all over, the only difference is there's more gun hunters than bow so your naturaly going to see it more. It really is a shame. And yes I will be putting a camera up at the tail end of the season. 

22 minutes ago, rob-c said:

unfortunately it doesn't matter what type of hunting one does there are slob hunters all over, the only difference is there's more gun hunters than bow so your naturaly going to see it more. It really is a shame. And yes I will be putting a camera up at the tail end of the season. 

I don't believe it's shear numbers that lead to extra clowns in the woods during gun. Bow hunters are certainly not immune. But the level of difficulty in gun hunting isn't anywhere near what it is for bow and therefore can draw a greater percentage of clowns. Not a blanket statement about gun hunters so don't get your panties in a bunch. But it shouldn't be overlooked.

• Like 1

I have never used cameras.  I want to, but each time I go to pull the trigger, I read reviews that scare me away again.  I mean there's some downright hatred for some camera's reliability. The other reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because everyone I know that mentions their trail cameras almost always mentions theft shortly thereafter.   If you had to guess, what percentage of locked trail cams get found and stolen?  

Grizz if I knew I could hang cameras and find them when I returned guaranteed, they'd be out all year long. 

• Like 1

Its a cost of business. I do my best to avoid cams getting stolen, or stands, but eventually it happens.

The real problem IMO (beyond the obviousness of someone stealing in the first place) are the situations where that becomes a trend and starts to impact your hunting.

I've had a few sd cards and one cam stolen this past year. I believe it to be a person trespassing onto the particular property looking for sheds. I'll high mount a few cams this shed hunting season, but even with a pic, it won't likely result in stopping the guy. He likely doesn't live nearby and probably travels by car to the adjoining ground that nobody will connect him to except by sheer luck.

14 minutes ago, sfoulkrod said:

I have never used cameras.  I want to, but each time I go to pull the trigger, I read reviews that scare me away again.  I mean there's some downright hatred for some camera's reliability. The other reason I haven't pulled the trigger is because everyone I know that mentions their trail cameras almost always mentions theft shortly thereafter.   If you had to guess, what percentage of locked trail cams get found and stolen?  

Grizz if I knew I could hang cameras and find them when I returned guaranteed, they'd be out all year long. 

I'm not exaggerating when I believe I have probably owned more trail cams than everyone else on this forum combined.

My loss rate on private ground is pretty low. I've had 5-6 cams stolen in almost 20 years of running trail cameras, with three of them coming in one season.

That one burned me - I caught the guy on cam one day and he didn't see that one cam. Head to toe camo, walking in with bow, and out with bow and buck a few hours later. Weeks prior, he had taken film out of one cam (I thought I was crazy and forgot to load it), and then the following week two cams went missing. The next, a third cam. I finally got him on film, but he also got the buck he was after and I never saw him again, nor saw his face. I was on private ground and was the only bowhunter with permission. He also got me for a few ladder stands. And, then like magic, he was gone and never re-appeared. Not even the foggiest clue who it was to this day. He hunted out of my stands (he had no stand on his back), took my cams, shot the big buck for the neighborhood, took the stands of mine he used, and then disappeared into thin air. I tip my hat to him now, many years later. He was good at it, real good.

• Like 3

I've been lucky, but all my cams are on our property, although I did get 2 people on camera looking at my cam this  summer. Turns out the new guy who bought a house with an acre or two of land next to us decided to take a long walk with a buddy. My dad kindly asked he's stays on his land.

11 minutes ago, phade said:

I'm not exaggerating when I believe I have probably owned more trail cams than everyone else on this forum combined.

My loss rate on private ground is pretty low. I've had 5-6 cams stolen in almost 20 years of running trail cameras, with three of them coming in one season.

That one burned me - I caught the guy on cam one day and he didn't see that one cam. Head to toe camo, walking in with bow, and out with bow and buck a few hours later. Weeks prior, he had taken film out of one cam (I thought I was crazy and forgot to load it), and then the following week two cams went missing. The next, a third cam. I finally got him on film, but he also got the buck he was after and I never saw him again, nor saw his face. I was on private ground and was the only bowhunter with permission. He also got me for a few ladder stands. And, then like magic, he was gone and never re-appeared. Not even the foggiest clue who it was to this day. He hunted out of my stands (he had no stand on his back), took my cams, shot the big buck for the neighborhood, took the stands of mine he used, and then disappeared into thin air. I tip my hat to him now, many years later. He was good at it, real good.

Wow, no shortage of d bags. I'd be flaming bad.

25 minutes ago, phade said:

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me this yr. this buck showed up on cam then stuff started missing. I really think it was the neighbor kids but after I think about and read this I wonder

image.jpeg

Never had one stolen, Did have one end up with a shotgun slug in it, But right now we got about 8 out and they will stay out all year, I get batteries at cost from my place of employment, Its rather cheap to run them, Last time i bought batteries it was a case of 96 c and a case of 96 aa and its was just over 40.00 some of the cams have been running on the same batteries for a long time others eat them like M&M's But as long as i can get batteries cheap ill keep them in the field,

Am I the only one on this site that is predisposed to random bouts of violence?  I mean WTF?!?!?!  I hunt enough and am in the field more than enough to keep track of trespassers, thiefs and dirtbags!  It's never happened yet, maybe because enough people know how I am, but I would at least scare the shit out of anyone I catch where they don't belong!  I hunt my property and most of my neighbors and in 22 years nothing came up missing.  I did find a "marker" this year at the opening I use to access my neighbors.  I removed it and re-posted his road frontage for him.  I made it a point to look for ANY human sign the whole season, including now.  It's one thing to trespass, but then to actually hunt your stands, kill your deer and steal your equipment.  Time to get creative.  I'd rig a rung near the top of my ladder stand to break away when you step on it.  Just cut not quite through and smooth the cut over with some caulk.  For the camera, take one that's past it's prime and gut it.  Stuff it full of your wife's used pads or plugs and hang it right out in the open.  When the dick head pops that open on the kitchen table, ohhhh BOY!  Guess I've been fortunate.  I have three cams out now and they'll stay out indefinitely now.  I'll pull them as I see fit through scouting or patrolling or however you want to put it.

I live 2 hrs from my camp! At home I'm out everyday. At least for an hr or so. But I also like to let spots rest. Try not to over hunt them. And that shouldn't matter anyhow. It's mine! I bought it! Don't take it. I've hunted public land a lot growing up. I've sat in people's ladder stands that I happened apon. Guess what! The stand was still there as I walked away!! I also have a thing that connects to my phone to view sd cards. And if I happened apon a cam in a area I was hunting on public land!! Sure I'd check the card. And the cam and card would still be there with all pics and in working order when I walked away 

9 minutes ago, Uncle Grandpa said:

Am I the only one on this site that is predisposed to random bouts of violence?  I mean WTF?!?!?!  I hunt enough and am in the field more than enough to keep track of trespassers, thiefs and dirtbags!  It's never happened yet, maybe because enough people know how I am, but I would at least scare the shit out of anyone I catch where they don't belong!  I hunt my property and most of my neighbors and in 22 years nothing came up missing.  I did find a "marker" this year at the opening I use to access my neighbors.  I removed it and re-posted his road frontage for him.  I made it a point to look for ANY human sign the whole season, including now.  It's one thing to trespass, but then to actually hunt your stands, kill your deer and steal your equipment.  Time to get creative.  I'd rig a rung near the top of my ladder stand to break away when you step on it.  Just cut not quite through and smooth the cut over with some caulk.  For the camera, take one that's past it's prime and gut it.  Stuff it full of your wife's used pads or plugs and hang it right out in the open.  When the dick head pops that open on the kitchen table, ohhhh BOY!  Guess I've been fortunate.  I have three cams out now and they'll stay out indefinitely now.  I'll pull them as I see fit through scouting or patrolling or however you want to put it.

Huh? Where did that come from?

Am I the only one on this site that is predisposed to random bouts of violence?  I mean WTF?!?!?!

You OK? Need one of us to call 911 for you?

As to the OP. I take no offense, but I hunt both, and there are grimy bow hunters out there too.