Your field dressing knife ?

turkeyfeathers

Well I am not a collector or aficionado of any sort but I have a bunch of knives and all have been used to dress and butcher deer except one. 

From left to right 

Charles Daly Buck clone. This is my go to hunting knife and has been for 10+ years now. I bought it at a fishing auction that had some personal hunting items from an estate mixed in. IIRC, I paid $11.00 and it has paid for itself and then some.

2. Appalachian Trail made in USA folding knife. Paid $4 and holds and incredible edge.

3. Dad's Boy Scouts of America fixed blade. Late 50`s early 60's

4. Dad's Case XX Made in USA

5. Dad's Antler handled Soligen fixed blade from Germany 1960s

6. Pakistan made fixed blade I bought at another sale. Not a real good knife at all. No edge

7.Casselman pocket knife I received as a gift. Just decided tonight to use this for everyday carry. 

8. This is a special one that has not seen the woods(little too large for me) Dads from Germany custom made from aircraft parts in 1943. Engraved on blade- F M Welsh 8-19-43

Cool thread idea TF. Thanks for sharing everyone. 

IMG_20161208_210523206.jpg

Edited by Zem18
Forgot picture
  • Like 7

Got my hands on an Outdoors Edge kit this year that's working out really well so far for field dressing, skinning, and butchering .

Also comes with the saw, sharpener, and case, which all store nice and flat in my pack pocket and keeps everything dry.

Really appreciate the orange handles since I never had them before in the field.

I never invested in a real good quality blade over the years. Most times my knives that didn't get lost just end up serving as "multi-tools" for me in the off season depending on my need for the day... they could be anything from a hammer, to a screwdriver, or a cleaver, or a can opener. Sometimes I just like to throw them at trees to see if I can get one to stick!

I still keep my old back up blank in my pack for those special occasions.

DSC_0046.JPG

• Like 4

An engraved Buck110 that I received as a gift when I graduated from the Police Academy in 1993; engraved with my name and year of the graduation. It has been on my side every hunt since receiving it. Over the years that knife has been used to field dress countless deer, turkey, and small game.

• Like 1

Go Go stud gator. I use my folder for a field dressing knife only the gator grip is real nice to hang on to, so much as I bought another one. Now the other one the straight blade has been replaced by Gerber. What happened you see was while i was carving up a really cold deer on a really cold day and as i was working on the rear leg the knife broke a crescent piece out of the blade. after about three tears or so I finally called Gerber and sent it back I had a brand new knife in a month..Great day.Anyway as far as the gator grips go i also have the 4 inch fillet knife  

The stacked handle knife is a Norwegian Carry-lite. This knife has  been retired from the field as the leather is starting to show some wear around the bend, where it goes over the handle of the knife. I would hate to loose it as it is the knife I used to wear on my hip as a kid some 35 years ago. However since it is such a great blade i keep just enough edge on it and use it as a skinning knife. It holds a edge so well I usually never have to sharpen it. Best knife ever.

stud gator.jpg

• Like 2

Something old and something new...for me.

First knife is my old Soligen, made in Germany, antler-handled knife I won in the Belmont Archery Big Buck contest in 1971. I shot the biggest buck and this was the 1st place prize. Dressed well over 100 deer and miscellaneous other critters around the country with it. Don't carry it any more.

Second knife is the one I carry now. I have carried a Buck knife - #119 for about 20 years or so now. IMO... best field dressing knife for whitetails I ever had. Not to big and not to small. And a lot of knives between the two. 

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

Edited by Buckstopshere
  • Like 4

My old Kabar 1232 would win the ugliest knife award hands down. I'll have to figure out a way to get pics onto my computer because a description won't do it justice. Let's just say that it's been my 'working' knife for over 45 years of hunting and trapping and it's never been babied.

Cool thread!

0c2ccf365fd78aa6efa289cae1f71127.jpg

The Western on the right was given to me by my late grandfather when I was a teen. Best man I have ever met. A true Adirondack guy who taught me to hunt. The knife was one of his and used and I continued to carry and use it for many years. I would guess I have gutted close to 50 deer with it. I had a scare almost losing it so it is retired now.

When I retired it I liked it so well I bought two of the Westerns (one shown) used at auction for my son and I since they are not made anymore. I prefer I nice thin short straight blade for whitetail and these hold an edge very well and have never let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

When I see so many great American knife manufacturer's products shown here it is sad to know many are no longer in business as American companies manufacturing here. Today many are gone or just name only and are imports. Buck still makes some of it's line here in the US as does Utica Cutlery, I think Case is the last holdout still making their entire line down in PA. Camillus pocket-folding knives are one of my favorites to collect, I was really sad to see them go under. Hey how can they stay in business selling a pocket knife for 50 or 60 dollars when you have infomercial knife shows on TV selling a whole table load of over 100 knives for the cost of a couple of American mades?

This is my most unusual knife, an old Utica Cutlery interchanging blade set, an early attempt to duplicate the utility of a Swiss Army knife or today's multi tools.

Al

001_zpskhdo83yo.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, nyantler said:

my knife.jpg

My knife was made in the Adirondacks... antler is from an Adk buck.. steel was hand forged. You can't see it on the sheath, but there is a stamp shaped like a deer's hoof that was punched into the leather that was created using an old adk railroad spike. An awesome example of custom craftsmanship... it's been bloodied up pretty good since this photo. :)

• Like 3

I use this knife and LOVE it. very sharp , holds awesome edge and fantastic grip. i was helping a friend the other day do his 2nd ever deer and using his cheapo really reinforced what a difference a nice knife makes.

Modesty seldom comes into play when we are describing how good our knives are. But in the case of the Master Hunter®, we’ve been unquestionably negligent in that department. So, modesty aside, we want to go on record and say, without a doubt, the Master Hunter® is the best hunting knife you can obtain at any price. It features a broad VG-1 San Mai III® blade that’s been flat ground to achieve the ideal blade cross-section and edge geometry. Carefully honed to razor sharpness, its edge cuts effortlessly while its dropped point simplifies the chore of field dressing and skinning.

The spine of the blade is a full 3/16" thick to allow for the necessary strength and stiffness to field dress and skin the biggest animals like elk, moose, brown bear, and the African Dangerous Seven. The grip is specially designed to promote long use without fatigue. Made of the shock absorbent, slightly tacky feeling Kraton®, and featuring our deeply checkered surface, it positively won’t slip no matter how wet or bloody your hands get. Plus, Kraton® has specially enduring advantages in that it will never rot, shrink, crack, splinter, or mildew, and is completely impervious to even the harshest weather. For safety, the Master Hunter® comes in a thick, heavy Conceal-Ex™ sheath that will accommodate just about any size belt and allow you to carry it all day without fatigue.

Sharing most of the design features of our Master Hunter®, this variation features a guthook. This makes it an extremely useful tool for field dressing and opening body cavities without piercing the entrails.

cold-steel-master-hunter-plus-36g-large.jpg

• Like 3

I'll hijack my own thread for a moment. You guys who use gut hooks like them ? I've never used one. I just make inintial cut thru skin , skin back a few inches and then cut upwards between fingers shaped like a V pointing upwards as I push down eliminating cutting any organs. 

Great knives everyone. Somehow knew there'd be some sentimental ones being carried. 

I have gone through a few knives in my time from ones given to me from my uncle to ones I have purchased. I never really liked any of them until now. I purchased a Gerber fix blade with a gut hook. I bought it 2 years ago and have used it on at least 3 deer so far. Its just as sharp as the day I bought it. All the other knives are now retired and this is the only one I carry for field dressing duties. 

8 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I'll hijack my own thread for a moment. You guys who use gut hooks like them ? I've never used one. I just make inintial cut thru skin , skin back a few inches and then cut upwards between fingers shaped like a V pointing upwards as I push down eliminating cutting any organs. 

Great knives everyone. Somehow knew there'd be some sentimental ones being carried. 

i really like the gut hook. it is simple, fast and without issue. but it is the only method i have ever used so dont have a comparison. Nor have i done nearly as many deer as some of you. only at about 10 lifetime total.

I don't have any pics because I am at work. For years I was using an Old Timer that my Dad bought for me when I was old enough to deer hunt. I never liked the knife. The blade curves back and I always found it difficult to cut on the inside when you are going by feel. I never switched or bought another knife just because my Dad bought this one. Somehow the topic came up and I was telling my Dad about how the curve of the blade makes gutting difficult. He went upstairs and brought me down his hunting knife which was also his fathers. Hopefully it keeps bringing me luck because I carried that knife for the first time on opening day and also killed my biggest buck and probably the biggest I will ever kill. (hope not) It was great to gut that deer thinking about all the deer my Grandfather gutted with it and the few my father did as well...

• Like 4

I hate them, it makes it nearly impossible to cut the a$$ out. I tried one and didn't think it worked any better for gutting and I had to carry 2 knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

My Field Dressing Knife is a Walmart Special .... on sale every year for $ 2.00 and I buy a couple for stocking stuffers !

Yeah me too, though I pay almost $4 for them. It's my edc knife and I've dressed two deer with it. It blunts fast but I am still impressed at the overall quality for a sub $4 knife. I've spent hundreds on hunting year this fall but still have a crappy little knife hehe.

knife.png

11 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

Something old and something new...for me.

First knife is my old Soligen, made in Germany, antler-handled knife I won in the Belmont Archery Big Buck contest in 1971. I shot the biggest buck and this was the 1st place prize. Dressed well over 100 deer and miscellaneous other critters around the country with it. Don't carry it any more.

Second knife is the one I carry now. I have carried a Buck knife - #119 for about 20 years or so now. IMO... best field dressing knife for whitetails I ever had. Not to big and not to small. And a lot of knives between the two. 

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

I thought the "buck" knife was too big? I actually got one for my 16th birthday and still have it hungup fondly in my basement with my initials on the sheath. Maybe I should give it a whirl out of respect, though.

37 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I like the gut hook for zipping down the legs for the initial cut where a straight blade has a tendency to slip off the bone and head off wherever it wants to go. That's usually where I cut myself with the skinner. Gut hook is quick and safe for that.

When I peel the skin down the neck I'll also use it again to unzip two flaps to the base of the skull which I'll then finish skinning off with a straight blade. Makes it easier for me when I can pull a flap out of the way to work on the other side. I'm not a very heavy fella, so pulling the skin all the way over the neck is more work than the effort is worth to me.

I don't recall ever using the hook to expose the guts simply out of habit, and never having a problem doing it with a regular blade.

For coring out the azz, I just grab the fillet knife out of the box.

• Like 1

I mostly use an old Buck 110, that was a gift from my sister, about 35 years ago. I also use an old Camillus that my brother gave me maybe 20 years ago. Its similar to the Buck but a bit smaller and thinner in the handle. Both great knives that work very well.

9 minutes ago, Core said:

I thought the "buck" knife was too big? I actually got one for my 16th birthday and still have it hungup fondly in my basement with my initials on the sheath. Maybe I should give it a whirl out of respect, though.

I really like it because it is a bit bigger and keep it very sharp with a diamond whetstone. That way when I get into the top of the upper chest cavity, it quickly gets the heart and lungs out. I don't even need to roll my sleeves up or take off my coat...and have very little blood on my sleeves. Also, when ringing the asshole on a big buck, it goes in deep and the piss sack comes out whole with just a bit of trimming. Different strokes! Cool knives one and all.

• Like 1

Airedale,I hear you many of the  American makers traditional knives have gone under , but many great ones have emerged , or are still here, although not makers of " traditional " knives .

Benchmade , Spyderco , ZT, Kershaw, Buck, Ka Bar, Ontario ,Bear, Emerson, Esee , SOG, Micro tech , Case and Gerber still make at least some here, although Gerber knives are not what they were back in the day.

Tons of great mid-techs too . Strider and Rick Hinderer basically can't keep up,with demand and they run $400 - $500 and up . I've got four of those....

its a sickness !

• Like 1