Your field dressing knife ?

turkeyfeathers

i use one. my Gerber folder. it just that its as sharp as a scalpel. i got a couple nicks on my hands to prove it. so i dont use it to butcher my deer  or for a skinner . i know i stuck my other straight blade Gerber in the photo i used to use it for the skinner before i got my cary lite  from my dad after he passed a couple years ago. guilty as charged..i also have the four inch fillet with the gator grip its a shitty fillet knife   don't buy it.

I also use one. At a time, because I lose them often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I'll hijack my own thread for a moment. You guys who use gut hooks like them ? I've never used one. I just make initial cut thru skin , skin back a few inches and then cut upwards between fingers shaped like a V pointing upwards as I push down eliminating cutting any organs. 

============================================

My Sons got me one of the old original metal Wyoming Knives for my birthday many years ago, honestly I just never warmed up to it mostly because of it's look and style, I am just used to and prefer a conventional knife so I never gave it a try. 

I found this video of this particular knife being demonstrated on various big game animals and it seems to make things go along quite fast and easy when doing either skinning and field dressing. Still need a conventional blade for the butt I think, other than that the Wyoming knife is pretty slick.

Al

http://www.wyomingknife.com/videos.htm

43 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Also I found a butt out tool busted in half in the woods this morning, they must have had as much luck with it as I did

I am 3 for 5 with mine so far this season.  I could not believe that it worked perfectly on the last one, a 1-1/2 year Adirondack 6-point,  where I sent a 150 gr, 30/06 bullet up there first.   My two earlier failures were probably related (in more ways than one).  I am guessing that the 6 month old BB did not have enough thickness in the lower intestine lining to allow the teeth to grab properly.    (Has anyone ever used one effectively on a fawn?).  I threw it down, next to his gut pile, but tried it again on his momma when she showed up for 4:00 pm milking time.   It probably would have worked on her if I would have cleaned the BB intestine residue off the teeth prior to insertion.   It also worked perfectly for me earlier on my 1-1/2 year old Adirondack ML doe and my 2-1/2 year old crossbow buck.  My father in law got to witness both at his camp up north and was very impressed.  

The key to making it work (on older deer), seems to be the 1-1/2 to 2 revolutions prior to withdrawel.  If anyone knows how to make it work with a 6-monther, please let us know.    If I don't hear anything better, I will try 1/2 to 1 revolution on the next fawn.  Remember to keep them teeth clean.   

Edited by wolc123

3 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I am guessing that the 6 month old BB did not have enough thickness in the lower intestine lining to allow the teeth to grab properly.    (Has anyone ever used one effectively on a fawn?).  

The key to making it work (on older deer), seems to be the 1-1/2 to 2 revolutions prior to withdrawel.  If anyone knows how to make it work with a 6-monther, please let us know.    If I don't hear anything better, I will try 1/2 to 1 revolution on the next fawn.  Remember to keep them teeth clean.   

you are correct about the thin intestine try a lighter pull rather then a hard pull I've done plenty 6 month old's with it.

Buck 105 that was given to me for Christmas when I was 16 years old.

Have carried it pretty much every hunting trip since then and it's dressed all kinds of game, harvested mushrooms, and even cut up apples for snacking on.

Probably not the most effecient or effective tool, but it's been used so much, it's like an extension of my hand.

7c29f81067b914543c8fe5b08444a8dd.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I use 2 cheap knives i got from deer and deer hunting when I renewed my subscription and a fixed field and stream knife that can swap between skinning, gutting and a meat saw. I would love to get a good quality knife, but i'm bad at sharpening and the worksharp sharpener I use, always seems to dull the tip. 

I use 2 cheap knives i got from deer and deer hunting when I renewed my subscription and a fixed field and stream knife that can swap between skinning, gutting and a meat saw. I would love to get a good quality knife, but i'm bad at sharpening and the worksharp sharpener I use, always seems to dull the tip. 

I can turn any knife into a butter knife, with every sharpener I've ever tried

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I can turn any knife into a butter knife, with every sharpener I've ever tried

I can't work a blade on a stone to save my life and I even have the cheater plastic wedge to help hold the blade at the correct angle. My FIL got one of these as a gift and it is awesome. It's usually on sale for around $75 so keep an eye out. Works incredible.

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Original-Knife-Tool-Sharpener&i=852098

13 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

I can't work a blade on a stone to save my life and I even have the cheater plastic wedge to help hold the blade at the correct angle. My FIL got one of these as a gift and it is awesome. It's usually on sale for around $75 so keep an eye out. Works incredible.

http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Original-Knife-Tool-Sharpener&i=852098

get a  Lansky  sharpening kit. That is just  the bottom line. just get the Lansky. i have been sharpening since i was a kid and honestly  after crock sticks  many stones a chefs choice and a few other sharpening devices i always go back to the Lansky same edge every time you just cant screw it up perfect edge with regular stones kitchen knives to fillet knives works like a charm

• Like 1

When I was a kid I was shown by a custom knife maker named Ralph Bone exactly how to sharpen a knife correctly with stones, I can do a pretty fair job but it can be a long slow tedious task depending on the blade and it takes patience. I still use the stones for my high end stuff but the newer electric sharpening devices like the Work Sharp which gets rave reviews by most folks that have used one as does the Chef's Choice which I have and can vouch for will do a decent job. They are easy to use for anyone and fast, both keep the critical angle fairly exact which is the key when pulling the knife blade over the belts with the Work Sharp or the or the stones with the Chef's Choice. I still use a good quality hard Arkansas stone for the final strop after getting real close with the Chef's Choice. I do like the Work Sharp a lot though and have been seriously considering one, Amazon seems to have the best prices on both the Chef's Choice and the Work Sharp.

Al

• Like 1

I usually carry my Dad's 50 year old Randall knife that he used on many of his hunts that he went on.  He used it when he was up in the Yukon when he shot a large Grizzly, a 62" Moose, and a full curl Dahl sheep.  Dad has passed on physically, but he is with me in spirit when I go out in the woods.

The picture of the knife also has another toy in it a new Kel-Tec (haven't shot it yet). 

20161210_201436.jpg

20161130_170649.jpg

• Like 9

I have carried the same knife since I was 12, nearly 18 years. It was given to me by my grandfather. He used it on countless mulies, antelopes and whitetails. It is a cheap Schrade but it holds an edge and works well. I take pride in using his knife and gutting as my dad taught me. I unzip, cut the ribs, split the pelvis and skin all with the same knife.

I almost lost it years ago. My cousin shot a doe right at dark. I gut it and his brother and I helped drag it down to the truck. We rushed back to grandma and grandpa's place to show off and eat dinner. I was putting my things away and my stomach dropped when I couldn't find my knife. At some point it was set on the rear bumper of the truck and we drove 8 miles back to town, thankfully it never fell off.

This knife is one of my most prized possessions and I keep it in the safe except when I'm hunting. I let my grandpa know every time I (in his words) "tip one over" and use it. He gets a kick out of it and is happy that his kids and grand kids are out hitting the woods every fall. For us hunting is a tradition and this knife is a big part of it for me.

hunting knife.jpg

• Like 8

On 12/8/2016 at 3:51 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

It's been a good knife. Never been washed, Just wiped off and sharpened. If I lost it I would cry for a year.

why would you even say the word "lost"?  just don't.  i'd cry for you.  in today's world of excessive options for hunting gear, stuff like that trumps all.

• Like 2

so i feel a bit humbled.... for years now i've been using a couple cheap folders from Lanski that i bought for $5 each.  they get a pretty good edge and hold it okay enough.  folded up they're only a few inches long.  for deer and smaller they work well.  not in anyway attached to them though.

eca3c7b197d43e343a182320bf75dd94.jpg&key=96fb9ba05997606d5c8d810b35791028a068812ef2576d7041713a05a4c95e0e

The Benchmade Mountain Skinner arrived today.

I know it doesn't fit the thread's intent because it's not an heirloom, or one that's been passed down through the generations, but since there's no hunter to pass one to me, this is the one I plan to pass on when I do.

There we go. Heirloom has to start somewhere. Have til Tuesday to check out its performance

• 2 weeks later...