Your field dressing knife ?

turkeyfeathers

Trying to travel light, I have a one size fits all and have opted to go with an old, old, old, army surplus military style Kabar knife. I can use that for everything from hacking branches out of a shooting lane, to skinning a squirrel, to self defense, to cutting up butternut squash in the fall. It's a little on the heavy-duty side, but it sure never comes up unable to regardless of the task. And the steel that Uncle Sam picked was some of the best I have ever had for an easy edge that lasts a long time. The only change that I made was to grind off the extra top sharpened edge after I cut myself reaching up inside to cut the wind-pipe.

On 12/8/2016 at 3:29 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Any attachment to it ? Grandpa give it to you ? Had it long ? Hopefully you've given it a few field jobs. Mine is a Gerber I've had for 20 or so years with no real story behind it. Only use it for field dressing. I'll sharpen after every use. Keeps a great edge. Cmon , go dig yours out and post a pic Not responsible if you forget to put it back in pack however My pic has knife atop my daughters first trapped muskrat we had tanned. 42e6bf884db658ebcaf6543bd2872502.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that exact knife for yrs. Got it from a buddy of mine and really loved it. Started wearing it everyday and then one day I left it sitting where I was using it .... wherever that was cause I never found it. Still irks me that I did that. Haven't replaced it as I've got more knives than I need (yes ... I have a problem) so now I use several different ones.

Edited by peepsight
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, peepsight said:

Yea ...... those are quite popular up there. Do you use it?

Can't seem to locate any seal or whale. Honestly though. I forget it's sitting right there. When I remember it's the cats meow in dicing veggies. Decent steel too and holds a good edge. 

• Like 1