Really bad acid reflux

First-light

I have had this now for months. Regular doctor put me on meds it didn't help. ENT doctor put the scope down my throat all looked fine. He put me on another type of med and that didn't help. Got the pressure, lump in the throat feeling along with burning in the esophagus at times. Seems like Zantac helps it but doesn't cure it. Anyone else have this issue and was able to recover from it. Would love to hear some remedies to this problem. Thanks FL

I take a RX for severe reflux, Pantaproprazole. Do not mess around with it, I did when I was young out of ignorance and it would have cost me if I didn't get on meds. I have Barrett's esophagus and have had teeth chip from the years of acid reflux damage. Thankfully medicine keeps me going and free of further damage. My BE has improved over time which I am very happy about. I still go for endoscopy's once every few years to keep tabs on it. 

21 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

I take a RX for severe reflux, Pantaproprazole. Do not mess around with it, I did when I was young out of ignorance and it would have cost me if I didn't get on meds. I have Barrett's esophagus and have had teeth chip from the years of acid reflux damage. Thankfully medicine keeps me going and free of further damage. My BE has improved over time which I am very happy about. I still go for endoscopy's once every few years to keep tabs on it. 

I have Barrett's also...........met with my family doctor today for a 6 month check up.  I have to make an appointment to see the GI again, it's been a couple/few years and I need another scope. 

I've changed my diet some; cut back on junk food, fast food, coffee etc.  I still have way too many bad habits though, the occasional cigar is at the top of the list.

One BIGGIE I can add to this that you guys with bad reflux at night or anytime is to elevate your beds headboard.  It's a pain in the ass to do but can make a big difference in your life.

FYI......We has a gastroenterologist on board here as a member.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

At last the news is out...I am indeed a gastrorectumologist...I have not mentioned it prior to now because I did not want to boast ..

lawdwaz let the cat out of the bag...<< sigh>>....

I know I promised not to tell but I figured others should know before it's too late. 

• Like 2

I did not read what everyone else posted but,

I had a problem with this probably 15 years ago.  I was a little stressed out at the time and noticed that it was worse with certain foods.  I kicked out coffee and anything spicy but sometimes would drink tea.  When I say spicy, I mean I couldn't eat ketchup.  I did that and was very picky about my diet for about 6 months but maybe a year.  I eventually brought back coffee.  I still can't eat spicy foods and can have ketchup now and then.  Every blue moon I'll taste some reshot on a clam or in beer cheese soup but I usually pay for it.  I was really not interested in medicine but everybody is different

• Like 1

Listen that's what it felt like!..I have what I'm was told is an extremely small throat opening...They have a difficult time getting the scope past the curve and down...One time ,I believe I was 16 , man the Dr was angry and as he was trying,they had me sitting up with a nurse at each elbow..I threw up in his face ...it was really bad..not food but yellow green liquidl..I was in the hospital 3 days.. I'm rather careful to avoid those problems. 

18 minutes ago, First-light said:

Thought you had to be out to have the scope down your throat?

Criminy dutch,  I'm out like a light when I have it done.  Same with that OTHER scope thingy.

Lord knows what they do to me when I'm under................

• Like 1

I definitely recommend you see a GI doctor.  You should have an EGD to determine why you are not responding to the anti-reflux medications.  Many things can mimic reflux and not respond to the medications.  If you would like you can PM me where abouts you live and I can tell you who you should see.  I practice in the Fingerlakes region and will tell you who I would trust my family with

• Like 4

I had some of the same symptoms about 20 yrs ago .So bad , the ER doctor put me in the hospital , thinking I was having a heart attack. A chest xray showed it to be a hiatl hernia . When I'm at deer camp and eat and drink all the wrong things ,I get the lump in my throat and have to eat tums for a few days and it subsides. .If it gets worse ,I will have to have it operated on, but I can still control it by watching my diet.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gastrodoc said:

I definitely recommend you see a GI doctor.  You should have an EGD to determine why you are not responding to the anti-reflux medications.  Many things can mimic reflux and not respond to the medications.  If you would like you can PM me where abouts you live and I can tell you who you should see.  I practice in the Fingerlakes region and will tell you who I would trust my family with

I'm out of likes for the day.......

"like"