Polar Vortex coming just in time for late bow/muzz

OldNewbie

Every was talking about a big snowstorm heading our way today, so I finally checked the weather.. and they are all crazy. Just a few flurries on the way.  However, I also ran into this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/12/08/polar-vortex-arctic-blast-cold-snap/95142654/

It says temps will drop into the teens and even single digits next week in the upper midwest and into the northeast. I still have a couple of bow/muzz tags I was going to try to fill..  How will this blast of cold affect deer movement?  How well does a bow perform in such weather? 

I've been talking about this for a few days...temps dropping and we got at least 3inches of snow...they will be putting on the feed bag as it were. My doe didn't have as much fat stored as I expected her to have when skinning....not sure if she was ran a lot during her cycle..but they sure had  enough to eat this summer I expected much more on her.

Here's my thoughts, Deer are too hot to move, Deer are too cold to move, It's too windy, There's too much snow etc etc.  The deer aren't going to sit in one place for the whole week.  I have heard that deer try to get to food a lot more before a storm tho.  I think the deer will be moving all through the week looking for more food.  Maybe they'll even pop up in a few new spots you didn't expect where winter food is.  However, I am just a new hunter and I've never actually hunted in the cold cold and also this will be my first year hunting the late season.  As far as bow performance, I have no idea.  So bundle up and get out there 

I don't think it's gonna make much difference in deer movement compared to where we are right now with temps.

If you're seeing them hungry now, you'll likely continue to see them. If you're not seeing them now, you likely still wont.

Subtle day to day winter weather changes aren't gonna have much of an impact IMO unless they go on for an extended period of time. Even then, the changes aren't always for the better when it comes to deer hunting depending on the extreme nature of the weather event, and an exact feeding location you have access to. I think it really boils down to how each individual deer feels at the time.... so there's always hope to hold onto any time you head out.

However, a polar vortex WILL affect MY movement, and I'm likely to stay bedded and not move around the woods much during the day as long as this lasts.

Thankfully I'm not feeling that seasons end desperation that comes with an empty freezer right now. :no:

Good luck to those of you weathering the weather down the home stretch!