That was disturbing !!

Salmon_Run

I was unfortunate to witness a most disturbing incident last night at the local Dick's Sporting Good. I was at the store to purchase a Savage bolt action .22 for my children as a Christmas present. The clerk waiting on me and I were starting the paperwork and when he received a communication on their radio that a woman just entered the store with a rifle and didn't stop at customer service as required and was walking to the rear of the store.

Next appeared a very agitated and vocal young female with blond and purple hair at the back counter. The clerk said (very politely) that next time please stop at customer service and have a manager assist before walking into the store with a rifle. Her reply was "F**K That !, Your gonna take this f**king gun and ship it back). She placed the gun on the counter with NO REGARD to muzzle direction and had in her left hand a rifle magazine and several loose cartridges. She was about 20 years old and along with her was an older female (Mom) and three children of ages about 12 and under. The clerk smartly took the weapon off the counter where it had been placed pointing at other customers and placed it behind the counter safely.

This female and her mother began to yell obscenities and were EXTREMELY disrespectful to the staff and manager who attempted to assist them. They insisted that the weapon was damaged and it be returned. Their "Daddy" bought the gun but was home on oxygen and couldn't make the 45 minute trip to return the gun. Their language was very offensive and conduct disorderly within the store. They produced a letter from the father and slapped it on the glass counter followed by a lengthy string of profanity.

A manager arrived and told them that the weapon would not be received from them and attempted to walk them to the front with the rifle in his possession. They flat out refused and continued the profanity and anger directed at anyone within hearing range. A second manager then arrived and advised that the weapon would be shipped back and the store would accept the weapon from them. All while this was happening the mother and children were using the same profanity and clearly agitated at the staff. The oldest kid proclaimed at one point "if he has to come here for this s**t he ain't gonna be f**king happy !!" The female who brought in the weapon said " well, if you were f**king afraid of him on the phone. f**king wait if he has to come down here".

I was shocked, saddened and ashamed for the incident. First their conduct was way out of line, secondly they were entirely unsafe and in today's society carrying a rifle and ammunition in hand into a store while shouting profanity is a great way to get yourself shot. I was also dismayed that Dick's didn't immediately contact law enforcement, retain custody of the weapon (until law enforcement took custody) and have them removed from the store. There was a crowd gather of customers watching this unfold. 

OMG safety over publicity...The managers should have put a call into the police the moment ANY THREATS were made. Besides the fact no one knew if these crazy trash had any concealed weapons on them. Now they need to worry if these characters will return...perhaps on a busier close to Christmas day...Good no was was hurt. BTW from just what you described...police now consider assault. Verbal threats that would make a person feel legitimately threatened

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

Wow what a crazy story!!! 

Its truly sad that this is how "adults" behave in public especially with kids in tow. And to me it seems just as irresponsible for Dick's to give into their screaming and yelling. That just taught the kids if that's how you behave you will get what you want. Mind you I do understand Dick's probably gave in not because they wanted to but because they just wanted to get those people out of the store. 

• Like 1

Adding to this story;

I sent a inquiry to Dick's this morning  and as of yet failed to receive any response.

I did appreciate that the young clerk waiting on me immediately abandon assisting me to get the rifle away from them and out of their reach. I had left my cell phone in my vehicle as I was "just running in" and didn't feel I needed to have it (never again).  

I was shocked that the managers didn't contact law enforcement at any point and both females could have easily been charged. The female waving the rifle around with ammo in hand had no idea what citizen in that store may have been legally armed and one would have been very-very justified to take action towards her to neutralize what was clearly an irate, and armed woman !! 

The show that they put on was clearly habit and their normal conduct of business and their children were taught a lesson by the woman.....Sad, but I am sure this will play out for them in their favor and they will continue to act that way again, and again......

The local sheriff's office has a substation in that mall right next to the store, so the chance of a speedy enforcement response was very likely......

Edited by Salmon_Run
add info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salmon_Run said:

Adding to this story;

I sent a inquiry to Dick's this morning  and as of yet failed to receive any response.

I did appreciate that the young clerk waiting on me immediately abandon assisting me to get the rifle away from them and out of their reach. I had left my cell phone in my vehicle as I was "just running in" and didn't feel I needed to have it (never again).  

I was shocked that the managers didn't contact law enforcement at any point and both females could have easily been charged. The female waving the rifle around with ammo in hand had no idea what citizen in that store may have been legally armed and one would have been very-very justified to take action towards her to neutralize what was clearly an irate, and armed woman !! 

The show that they put on was clearly habit and their normal conduct of business and their children were taught a lesson by the woman.....Sad, but I am sure this will play out for them in their favor and they will continue to act that way again, and again......

The local sheriff's office has a substation in that mall right next to the store, so the chance of a speedy enforcement response was very likely......

I just clicked back on to see what everyone was posting and I was thinking before I read your post that I am glad that I CC every chance I get . 

In a strange way, I do sense their frustration. Dealing with self-important clerks, overseas customer service people, and career government employees at the DMV and courthouse can try the most meek person's patience at times. But, obviously there is a right way and a wrong way to handle things.

61457450.jpg

I witnessed a middle eastern man laying into a girl working the ice cream stand on Clifton hill a few years back , she was on the verge of tears . I eventually said something to the guy in the girls defense involving expletives and she wasn't there for him to talk that way to. There's complaining and then there is taking it to far . I can't stand when people act that way towards other people instead of trying to polite first.

I'm just glad they took the gun back , I couldn't get that darn thing to group at all and kept  getting FTF and keyholes too !!! 

I like how how a crowd gathered , angry people wth a gun .... Go the other way ! Like I told my kids when they were young , " you see a fight or one about to start , go the other way ."

Very often onlookers become involved wether they wish to or not .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 5

Just going by this description of events because I wasn't there and haven't seen any news reports, but I find it hard to believe that no one called the police. Every Dick's I've ever been in, the hunting section is in the back of the store, and nobody in the store called the authorities? I can't picture a store full of Christmas shoppers choosing to be that unaware of their surroundings. And simply holding a firearm while appearing angry carries a legal charge of "menacing" if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 2

No one called from the store and when the crowd started forming the clerk had the gun behind the counter area safely away from the family.  

Yes, the gun counter is at the very rear of the store and she walked into the front entrance not only holding the long gun but screaming obscenities while holding cartridges and a magazine in her left hand.

This clearly could lead to misdemeanor penal law charges of menacing, endangering  the welfare of a minor and definitely disorderly conduct on both females.  

And......................no response from the Dick's administration with any comment on the entire event.

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text

51 minutes ago, philoshop said:

Just going by this description of events because I wasn't there and haven't seen any news reports, but I find it hard to believe that no one called the police. Every Dick's I've ever been in, the hunting section is in the back of the store, and nobody in the store called the authorities? I can't picture a store full of Christmas shoppers choosing to be that unaware of their surroundings. And simply holding a firearm while appearing angry carries a legal charge of "menacing" if I'm not mistaken.

Exactly! I would have told the management that they better call the authorities or I would. I would have never let those people out of the store before the authorities arrived.

At the first sight of anyone screaming obscenities,  with a firearm in their hands. If I'm with a family member, I'm putting myself between them and the disturbance, and heading quickly in the opposite direction. I tell my family to always be aware of what is going on around you. No matter where they may be in public. Not afraid but aware .  And to move away from any public disturbance . I can not fathom why the authorities were not called when those "people" entered the store, like they did. In these times, you must stay diligent and aware. Even with a CCP.

• Like 2