Snow

stoneam2006

8 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Damn.  I was on the fence about hunting Allegany tomorrow morning.  Now I'm not sure it's worth the 2 hour drive if the weather is that bad.  I don't seem to see deer in the middle of heavy storms like this. 

agreed I have driven countless miles in storms so i could watch trees all day. i am hunting north tomorrow near Medina just enough snow for the odd to switch to my favor. fortunately i can hunt from the southern tier to the northern tier to optimize my chances 

Damn.  I was on the fence about hunting Allegany tomorrow morning.  Now I'm not sure it's worth the 2 hour drive if the weather is that bad.  I don't seem to see deer in the middle of heavy storms like this. 

Yea further toward Salamanca you go the more there is Randolph and ski country got hammered

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, vizslas said:

agreed I have driven countless miles in storms so i could watch trees all day. i am hunting north tomorrow near Medina just enough snow for the odd to switch to my favor. fortunately i can hunt from the southern tier to the northern tier to optimize my chances 

That's a nice situation to be in.  I'm in Batavia and we have a really light, almost perfect snow for deer hunting right now.  Unfortunately, my only chance to hunt up here is by going to public land and trying not to die.  I'd have 120 acres to myself in the southern tier, but I'm just not sure it's worth the 2 hour drive in this weather.   

• Like 1

That's a nice situation to be in.  I'm in Batavia and we have a really light, almost perfect snow for deer hunting right now.  Unfortunately, my only chance to hunt up here is by going to public land and trying not to die.  I'd have 120 acres to myself in the southern tier, but I'm just not sure it's worth the 2 hour drive in this weather.   

Man by the sounds of it some of you guys hunt the worst stateland in the world. I've been hunting stateland for 15 years opening day thanksgiving day and weekend and have never had to try and not die. Never had a bad experience on stateland neither has anyone I know.

20 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Man by the sounds of it some of you guys hunt the worst stateland in the world. I've been hunting stateland for 15 years opening day thanksgiving day and weekend and have never had to try and not die. Never had a bad experience on stateland neither has anyone I know.

It isn't always bad.  I've had a lot of good experiences.  Hell, I met one of my best friends in the parking lot of state land back when I was in college.  We hunt and fish together every year.  I've just had a lot of bad ones too.  

Keep in mind, it isn't always "I almost got shot."  Sometimes it's as simple as a person setting up a hundred yards across a saddle that you're watching.  They know you're there (I wear a lot of orange) and have no problem watching the same saddle with you as their backstop.  Your choices become stay and hope they're responsible enough to hold off when a deer walks between you, or leave a spot you got there early to get.  

I much prefer private land, as I'm sure most of us would.

Edited by Caveman
  • Like 1

It isn't always bad.  I've had a lot of good experiences.  Hell, I met one of my best friends in the parking lot of state land back when I was in college.  We hunt and fish together every year.  I've just had a lot of bad ones too.  
Keep in mind, it isn't always "I almost got shot."  Sometimes it's as simple as a person setting up a hundred yards across a saddle that you're watching.  They know you're there (I wear a lot of orange) and have no problem watching the same saddle with you as their backstop.  Your choices become stay and hope they're responsible enough to hold off when a deer walks between you, or leave a spot you got there early to get.  
I much prefer private land, as I'm sure most of us would.

Yea there's always a few of those guys around. Mite as well sit in my lap

That's happened to me twice and both times the guys said "I've hunted this spot for years". I'm in a freaking treestand and you're sitting on a bucket, howsabout you go a couple hundred more yards??! With the first guy I finally got down and said why don't you just get in the stand, I have another I can go to and he says "it's illegal to hunt from a treestand during gun season"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2