Yesterday I dragged my dads last deer

Buckmaster7600

My father/best friend is gone.

Wow what a roller coaster, I still feel like I'm living a nightmare. It's been almost 24hrs and still doesn't seem possible.

My father has been suffering from leukemia for about 6 years now although no one other than close family knew that. At 55 He was in better shape than most men 1/2 his age still jogging nearly every day.

Yesterday started out as a totally normal day for us, my brother and I met for coffee and dads house at 5 "brother lives next door to my parents I live within 30-30 range." With our coffee I argued with dad about what stand he was going to hunt and why he was dumb to not to be in this one and that no I wasn't sitting until 9! The same thing we did everyday my brother just sat across the table throwing verbal jabs at both of us just to keep me and dad going.

We talked on the phone a couple times throughout the morning. I was still hunting as he was bouncing from stand to stand in case I bumped anything. Around 10:30 he shot a doe we kept hunting until around 11:30 when my brother and I met him at the end of the blood trail and helped dad gut his doe.

After the gutting job was done we were talking as dad was looking at what she had been eating. And he went down with no warning landing on top of his recently killed doe with my brother and I on either side of him. We got him off the deer and we were yelling at him trying to get him to wake up but he wouldn't I told my brother to call 911 while I was trying to give dad sternum rubs trying to get him to wake up. My brother went to the road to meet the ems while I stayed with dad. It felt like forever but about 5 minutes into it all Dad took his last labored breath. I started CPR immediately and continued for the 20 minutes until ems and Fire got there although looking back I don't think it was a heart attach as everything leads to a stroke.

My father was the most dedicated hunter I have ever known he bordered on being over the top. He hunted everyday of the season morning and night. Dad always said he wanted to go while hunting and never wanted to be in a hospital. My brother and I have been crying and laughing since it's all happened, you couldn't make this stuff up. He literally died on a doe he had killed with his 2 boys on either side in the woods. He never stayed 1 day in a hospital or missed 1 thing he wanted to do do to his health. Although he went 40 years sooner than we all had hoped I couldn't be more thankful for how he went.

When they finally got him out of the woods and had him in the ambulance my mom, sister in law and wife were there and they let us say good bye to him in the ambulance he looked so at peace. Him laying on that stretcher with his camo bibs button up wool shirt and laccrose rubber boots damn near with a smile on his face was the saddest thing I have ever saw but it also has really put me at peace knowing that we never get to pick when or how our last day is but damn I feel like he got to pick how.

I'm sorry you guys are reading this but it is truly helping me just by being able to type this out and put my thoughts out there, thank you all for the support I have gotten this season as many of you have already reached out to me with thoughts and prayers. Some of you guys I consider good friends even if we have never met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8b9e9f0e0af983c74e8a2dfa50306823.jpg
  • Like 40

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

He literally died on a doe he had killed with his 2 boys on either side in the woods. He never stayed 1 day in a hospital or missed 1 thing he wanted to do do to his health. Although he went 40 years sooner than we all had hoped I couldn't be more thankful for how he went.

That statement says it all and from what you have said about your Dad he would have had it no other way, so sorry for your loss.

Al

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that! I hope for the best for your family during this time.

That said, I think you have a pretty good grasp on what to be thankful for and how to appreciate the times spent together and even how it all played out. Nice write-up, too.

I am so sorry to hear this. My condolences and prayers to you and your family. Having lost my father/best friend/hunting partner a year and a half ago to cancer, I know your pain. It takes a long time to ease when someone is that big a part of who you are. You hit the nail on the head about how he passed and how he would have wanted to go. If I could write that script for me it would be just like that. Take care and hold the memories close. 

• Like 1

I write this response with tears on my cheeks. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Dad. Like you said, no one gets to pick how they exit this world. But your Dad must have lived a pure life to go on his own terms. With no pain, surround by his beloved sons and doing what he loved most. My deepest sympathy, prayers and condolences are with you and your family. He will always be there with you in your hearts.

• Like 9

I am truly sorry for you and your families loss. As you said this day comes for us all and it sure as hell sounds like his last day was pretty much a perfect one hunting with his "boys" and a successful hunt to boot! I am sure most of us would be pretty darn content with that.

Thoughts and prayers out to you all.

Steve

So sorry for your loss. My father has said the same to me, if he ever feels it's his time he just wants my brother and I to leave him in the woods until it's his time. As hard as it is to think of this, u have it right. He couldn't have asked for a better way to go. Everytime u go into the woods he will be with you. Sorry again.

Buckmaster....Its weird how you feel like you can get to know somebody on a forum like this. Maybe its just because we all share the brotherhood of hunting. You posting the other day that you wouldn't shoot the deer on the other side of the property line shows what kind of man you are. You learned to be that man from your father who was obviously a stand up guy or you wouldn't be the man you are. I am sorry I am babbling because I don't know what to say. I am so sorry for your loss....Thoughts and prayers to you and your family...

• Like 4

Sour and sweet all at the same time. We as a group of different people all with the same love can only hope we all have it play out this same way in our lives. So Sorry for your loss and for me if i was dealt this same hand i would be having that doe's hide tanned and thrown over my truck seat or man camp chair.  Keep The Faith!

• Like 3

So sad to hear of someone passing so young. Some times you have to scratch your head and wonder why some live so long and some die so young. Just goes to show you and to emphasize that each and every day is precious. I can't imagine the heart break you, your brother, and the rest of your family must feel, but if it was me I could not think of a better way to go. My condolences to you and your family.

• Like 2