Direction of deer tracks in snow (easy)

Core

Pretty sure I know the answer but need to double-check! I've seen a ton of deer tracks in the snow. These all have a sharp part where the foot was and then a "scuff" drag section where the foot was dragged. When humans walk in the snow the drag is prior to the foot print and we pick up the foot cleanly as we move forward so that the drag is to our rear. This way it's easy to tell somebody's direction.

Do deer follow the same pattern of a shallow part to their rear of the direction they are traveling and if so, is that always the case?

So this deer is moving to the north west of the picture.

deer.jpg

Edited by Core

22 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not to be mean but holy crap on a cracker. You've just figured this out ?!  The pointy part of the print is the toes or way they're walking ^_^

My deer walk backwards only to try and throw me off. 

Like I said easy, but these pictures are particularly easy because the prints are really clear. This is my first year going in the snow! Wasn't sure if deer drag their feet after stepping or something.

lols now that I look at that picture of course it's easy but it also answered my question to begin with.

I went through too much of my early life afraid to ask what loafers were and I don't care anymore. I'll ask dumb ass questions!

He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.

Edited by Core
  • Like 9

21 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not to be mean but holy crap on a cracker. You've just figured this out ?!  The pointy part of the print is the toes or way they're walking ^_^

My deer walk backwards only to try and throw me off. 

+ 1........grin.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

It's all good Core. Just razzing you. Yes , snowed over prints are sometimes tough to figure out direction without foot drag marks. Try blowing snow out of tracks sometimes too  That'll help  I cut some old tracks blown in the other day and had troubles for a bit figuring out direction  

"The only stupid /silly question is one that's not asked " is one of my favorite quotes 

• Like 2

Is it too late to say I was just wondering if the deer ever plant false prints like the kid in The Shining to throw off hunters?

Hmm, now that I watch that I don't see where the kid did that. Could have sworn as a kid when I saw this first that the kid backtracks to throw the guy off.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Well that worked out I guess. 2 minutes into my "still hunt" today I spooked a deer and got to see its pretty fresh tracks. Never did catch up to it, though (ran off into some other property close to houses).

Could also tell it was running for quite a way because even a hundred yards later there were specks of dirt scattered in front of the track where it had freaked out.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grampy said:

If there is drag marks in the snow, it will always be in front of the track. Showing direction. Most times but not always, drag marks will indicate a buck making the tracks in snow.

Not completely accurate. A wounded deer can drag its leg after the track

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Takes me back when I was younger and I was hunting on Public land near Syracuse, I came across a hunter who was following tracks in the snow and noticed this hunter had a gun that cost more than my truck and a scope that could see a deer a mile away, he said he was following the biggest set of deer tracks he had ever seen, the deer must be well over 200lbs he said, I didn't have the heart to tell them he was following rabbit tracks,,,,,,lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4