Binocular magnification

Mlam they are decent for the money?

I think they perform well for their price point....I use them when I shoot 3d archery in the wny winter league and they do well helping identify x ring in low light situations. When hunting I usually sit on an inside corner of a cornfield and can clearly see across this field to pick out turkey beards or head gear on the deer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Do your research. Lot of YouTube videos explaining bino specs and the trade-offs. Decide where you'll mainly be using them, in what terrain and how far you might shoot. Lots of trade-offs with magnification, field of view, target acquisition, weight and stability!!!!!! This is one situation where the male mentality of bigger is always better is NOT true! LOL. Then you can begin shopping for quality vs price!

Not that we have the same expectations or usage for binos.... but I chose a good quality 8X42. I never will need then beyond ~150yrds, mainly used in wooded terrain, need quick acquisition in the binos of what I see with my naked eye, want to be able to follow the target's movements w/o losing them and not overly concerned with counting hairs or points. Not saying 6X mag wouldn't suffice or that higher mag binos don't have their place! Personal preference item!

Edited by nyslowhand

For me binoculars are a lot like rifle scopes and fall into two categories. If for the woods and it's shorter ranges I like light weight with lower power and a large field of view. A quality pair of wide angle 6 or 7 power and up to 35 mm objectives will work great.

For open spaces and glassing long distances a higher power will be an advantage, a friend of mine has a farm with big open fields with places that can be glassed several hundred yards. He has a pair of Nikon 10X50s that are beautiful for that situation sitting in a stand but they are huge and weight a ton. I would not want to be carrying them around my neck all day.

There are models with a power and weight that fall in between those two types above like 8X42 to 10X42 that are a compromise in weight power and field of view for a one pair all arounder.

As for brands I would buy from a manufacturer with a good track  record that has been around and there are several. Personally I have used high end Bushnell binos for many years and they have worked out well for me.

Al

Edited by airedale

You do not need 10 power for most situations. Sice weight is a major consideration, err on the side of lighter. Consider what type of strap you will use. Those cross the back straps are great for heavy bins but I find they get in the way of other gear. I use a  cushioned neck strap. It is simple and easy to remove.

If you wear glasses, you will want some that adjust to the proper eye relief.

Celestron makes one of the best value bins available right now. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...