Lose or break any gear in the field this year?

goosifer

I was doing well this year until today. Then I realized the blind I had set up last week was nowhere to be found (the chair and gear that was in the blind was still there) I used the smooth stakes that came with the tent, and clearly they did not hold up to the 25+ mph winds we had the other day. I also dropped my very nice Leupold range finder and cracked the metal face plate. It still works, though. I swear, this was the only time that I did not put it back in its case before walking out. When I was putting stuff into the truck, it fell and hit the pavement. Well, the cost of doing business, I guess. I made out much better than last year. Last year, I knocked over my scoped shotgun from my 16' ladder stand on opening day. Amazingly, Mossberg fixed it under warranty. I had bent the cantilever barrel, and messed up some other stuff. (Thanks, Mossberg.)

So, lose or break anything noteworthy in the field this year?

• Like 1

I was doing well this year until today. Then I realized the blind I had set up last week was nowhere to be found (the chair and gear that was in the blind was still there) I used the smooth stakes that came with the tent, and clearly they did not hold up to the 25+ mph winds we had the other day. I also dropped my very nice Leupold range finder and cracked the metal face plate. It still works, though. I swear, this was the only time that I did not put it back in its case before walking out. When I was putting stuff into the truck, it fell and hit the pavement. Well, the cost of doing business, I guess. I made out much better than last year. Last year, I knocked over my scoped shotgun from my 16' ladder stand on opening day. Amazingly, Mossberg fixed it under warranty. I had bent the cantilever barrel, and messed up some other stuff. (Thanks, Mossberg.)
So, lose or break anything noteworthy in the field this year?
condolences on the range finder. About 1% of my walked miles this season are on blacktop or less. And I only ever dropped my gun once all season. Guess when I dropped it. Yep, finished my last hunt of the season by dropping my new gun and scope thirty feet from the car onto blacktop. Busted s cap scratched the scope (not lens) and knocked off zero. Hopefully that is full extent of damage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I lost a Canon Power Shot SX130 digital camera . I had it in a Camo Camera case . It had an extra 5 SD cards that I used to swap out the cards in my Trail Cams with . I retraced my steps a half dozen times and had no luck finding it . I bought another one and all I see for cases that fit are black in color . I need something in Blaze Orange ! 

I've got a buried arrow and broad head out where I shot under a yote in bow I need to take a rake out and see if I can find. That's all I think I've lost!

I did have a wet pull up rope slip one day while lowering my bow that sent it on a rapid drop and a fast stop when rope ran out the man it popped off the rope and fell the last 4 feet. I got lucky and it only knocked the sight off kilter. A couple hours to get it back in shape and sighted in was all that was lost.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I've got a buried arrow and broad head out where I shot under a yote in bow I need to take a rake out and see if I can find. That's all I think I've lost!

I did have a wet pull up rope slip one day while lowering my bow that sent it on a rapid drop and a fast stop when rope ran out the man it popped off the rope and fell the last 4 feet. I got lucky and it only knocked the sight off kilter. A couple hours to get it back in shape and sighted in was all that was lost.

Last year for crossbow I would discharge into the ground nearby. Well, after losing or ruining 4 bolts, I got wise and this year I always brought my discharge bag. I guess I lost one bolt this year when it broke after hitting the deer I got. 

A hunting buddy suggested I upgrade my pullup ropes to nice thick ones (3/8" IIRC) from harborfreight. I'm using 1/8" rated rope now which can get slippery, I must admit.

59 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Well I have 4 left gloves and 2 right mittens. Other than that I'm doing good.

I've thought about the idea of a hunting club doing a swap meet for gear and clothing that got "upgraded". I could probably fill a table just with my stuff. I think we could add a glove and mitten matchmaking table to the swap meet.

Funny, I've actually been wearing two different gloves when I hunt lately. A regular one for gun hand and a no fingertips one for texting hand. I got tired of taking off and putting back on my right glove.

An old ladder busted on me the first time I used it this year, to get up on the upper deck of a two-level blind.   Fortunately, I was on the first step and did not suffer any serious injury.   I was thankful that it happened when it did and not a couple weeks later when a buddy (who is about 50 pounds heavier than me) was using that blind.   The new ladder I installed worked very well for him and he was able to shoot us the tastiest of the 5 deer that went in our freezer this season (a fat button buck) from that upper deck.

The day after I used it on my first deer of the season, I lost an old Buck 110 knife that my father in law gave me a few years ago.  It must have slipped of the belt on my fanny pack when I put it on.  The next day, I returned to the tree I had strapped my hammock seat to, and found it laying right there at the base.  I am glad I found it, because I used it later on my buddy's button buck, and three more deer that I ended up killing this season.  Also, my father in law would never let me hear the end of it, if I lost it.

The last thing I lost, I also hope to get back.   When we returned from our Thanksgiving weekend trip up to the in-laws Adirondack camp, I could not locate my hammock seat.  I made a "miraculous" shot from that seat this year, getting an exceptionally clean kill on my second Adirondack buck in three years.   I think I brought the seat back to their barn, but it may still be hanging on that tree.   We are going back up for an ice-fishing trip in February, so I will probably have to wait until then to find out.