New Rifle - 25/06 Rem vs 257 wby

DanD

Starting to get the itch for a new rifle again. Rifle will be primarily field hunting deer (200-300 yard shot not out of the question) and varmint/predators. I have always been enamored with a 25/06 Rem with it's flat trajectory and low recoil; however, the 257 wby is starting to catch my eye. I wouldn't be reloading for the gun so ammunition cost is a slight factor, but I don't anticipate chewing through more than 2-3 boxes per yea in a busy year. Curious as to everyone's thoughts from barrel life, recoil, meat damage, etc. between the two calibers. I was looking to get a Browning X-bolt if 25/06 or a Weatherby Vanguard S2 if I opt for the 257. Other rifle recommendations are welcomed.

For a non reloader, I would say 25-06 for sure, mostly for the availability of ammo...

Inside of 400 yards there is not enough difference  in performance to quibble about...Beyond that the the Weatherby has the edge ( at the cost of  burning considerably more powder), but you have said that most of your shots will be from 200-300 yards or less..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

I like the 25-06. I don't have experience with any of the wby mags but I have heard before that they shoot barrels out pretty quick. Probably wouldn't be that big of a deal since it wouldn't be getting shot that much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not true with Roy mags at all. I've had a bunch. The steel is up to the task for sure. They are also (at this point) not the fastest kids on the block any more. The STW, RUM, and now the Nosler rounds all smoke the B's.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Senderos are awesome guns- have one and had another... nothing I'd like to lug around more than needed though.

To compare a 25-06 to a 257 is a joke- they're not the same. They don't have the same trajectory or terminal performance (real world). Own a 257, had a 25-06 and (have or had) a number of other calibers.

The argument on shell cost is also a moot point. Neither caliber is something you'll buy to bench plink 2500 rounds out of in a life time.

Find someone who sold their 257 for an 06 that doesn't suffer from a mental disorder. There is no one out there. The 25 is a fine caliber- great gun in like a tikka t3... but the 257 is a whole 'nother beast

• Like 1

Senderos are awesome guns- have one and had another... nothing I'd like to lug around more than needed though.

To compare a 25-06 to a 257 is a joke- they're not the same. They don't have the same trajectory or terminal performance (real world). Own a 257, had a 25-06 and (have or had) a number of other calibers.

The argument on shell cost is also a moot point. Neither caliber is something you'll buy to bench plink 2500 rounds out of in a life time.

Find someone who sold their 257 for an 06 that doesn't suffer from a mental disorder. There is no one out there. The 25 is a fine caliber- great gun in like a tikka t3... but the 257 is a whole 'nother beast

To become proficient in shooting at the ranges where the 257 starts outperforming the 25 it takes more than a couple shots a year. 0-300yds "the distance 99+% of game is killed" they are ballistically close enough to never know the difference nor will the critter. Ammo prices aren't a moot point when you are talking about hundreds of rounds.

20 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

To become proficient in shooting at the ranges where the 257 starts outperforming the 25 it takes more than a couple shots a year. 0-300yds "the distance 99+% of game is killed" they are ballistically close enough to never know the difference nor will the critter. Ammo prices aren't a moot point when you are talking about hundreds of rounds.

Wonder how many deer killed by members here in NYS were shot at 300+ yards this year???

Heck, I've never killed a deer anywhere at 300+...........(IIRC)

• Like 1

Go with the 25-06 way way over the 257 weatherby.  You do not reload, and we live in NY.  You'd be hunting from store to store or waiting weeks to get a box of ammo because we cant order it ourselves.  I absolutely love my 450 marlin lever gun, but cringe when I need to find a box.  You'd be in the same boat with the 257 weatherby.  

I agree with a previous poster, get a 270 winchester.   Even 25-06 can be tough to find locally from time to time,  but it's still better than the 257 weatherby.   Affordable calibers are common ones, not just cheap ones.   They have stood the test of time because they do the job.   The best caliber will be the one you practiced with the most....   200-300 yard is not a stretch for most modern calibers.  I have coyote and woodchuck hunted with a 30-30 upto 300 yards, not ideal but not a insane stretch for the caliber either.    If you don't mind 3" high at 100 yards, most common calibers you can point and shoot without compensating for bullet drop.

If you're not keeping the pelts of a coyote, then caliber is moot.

A coyote gun that deer hunts, 243 should be considered too.  It's a real ideal coyote gun caliber.

Wonder how many deer killed by members here in NYS were shot at 300+ yards this year???
Heck, I've never killed a deer anywhere at 300+...........(IIRC)

I bet not many. There is a reason why some cartridges are more popular in certain geographical locations. When I lived down south 25-06 was more popular than a 308 or a 30-30. Out west I know the wby mags are very popular and understandably their shots average much further than ours.

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Weatherby haters are like Patriots haters- can't admit that the product overall is just better, and even looks better doing it

I don't see the haters but do see some valid points. At the hunting distances that the average Joe here in NY are going to face the only thing the 257 will do better than the 25--06 is burn more Powder. I don't own either but the 25-06 is on my buy list for a Encore barrel. Since the OP doesn't reload I also believe he will find a more options in bullet loads for the -06 that the B. Money on the per round cost doesn't appear to be a factor for him but bullet options may be if he is using it on a wide array of game. 

I don't see the haters but do see some valid points. At the hunting distances that the average Joe here in NY are going to face the only thing the 257 will do better than the 25--06 is burn more Powder. I don't own either but the 25-06 is on my buy list for a Encore barrel. Since the OP doesn't reload I also believe he will find a more options in bullet loads for the -06 that the B. Money on the per round cost doesn't appear to be a factor for him but bullet options may be if he is using it on a wide array of game. 

In that case just get a weatherby 243 win. Plenty for NY deer and can use it to shoot woodchucks or yotes at 400yds

• 1 month later...

Everyone should practice at any range they plan to hunt and with any weapon they plan to use for that purpose.

If I can take 3-5 shots a summer at the longest range I intend to shoot, have a consistent outcome to realist desire- I'm good. 4 shots a year is a box of ammo every 5.

I do shoot a lot of rim fire at close ranges to keep my shooting form true...but do not shoot more than 3-5 shots with any other hunting rifle unless on a kick to do so.

It just seems every 25-06 owner thinks the 257wby is the same as their gun with pinstripes..... um no.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1