Hunting Bow recommendations

uberyan

2014 Alloy. Used one season. New strings. Tru glo sight. Limb driver rest. 

Considering that or nwt ion (bare) for a bit more. 

Also new old stock quest primal for just over $300  

ive decided not to stress about pkg setups and go for quality/value 

funny how I was all set to jump all over that brute force just this afternoon

19 hours ago, uberyan said:

Looking to pick up bow hunting in 2017.

Already spent a bunch of money on rifle and other hunting stuff the last few months so I'm trying to make it a budget rig purely for hunting.

In the price range I'm looking at ($3-400 for a RTS/RTH pkg) I've got it down to the following:

PSE Brute Force

Bear Threat

Diamond SB-1

PSE Stinger X

What are peoples' thoughts regarding these?

I dropped by a few pro shops to see if they had any used bows but it seems most don't like to deal with them and don't carry them. I wouldn't mind buying used if I knew where it was coming from or if there was some sort of warranty but not really keen on taking a flier off some random guy on CL or ebay.

Look into an older Bowtech like a Tribute, Allegiance, or Guardian. All of those bows have been time proven one of the best they have ever made. I have 2 Bowtech Tributes a 2006 and a 2007 neither of which I will ever part with. They are super smooth and plenty fast enough to put some deer on the ground. The Bowtechs listed are all right in your price range and will shoot better than the ones you listed.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bow+tech+tribute&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xbow+tech+allegiance.TRS0&_nkw=bow+tech+allegiance&_sacat=0

Ive heard good things about the bowtechs, have an assassin on my watch list as well.

I think I might make an offer on the prime alloy.

It's above my initial budget and probably not the absolute best bang for the buck compared to some of the other suggestions but the shallow bastard in me is a sucker for that camo pattern. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Elite Synergy's are nice there was a ton of them this past year on Ebay.  Now they're hard to find.

I had the pleasure of shooting Phade's synergy - very very nice bow.  Smooth as silk with huge let off.  Not a speed demon but definitely fast enough.

20 minutes ago, uberyan said:

just curious with used purchases. Will shops charge to give it a once over to make sure everything is as it should be, not about to break etc?

Probably depends on the shop ,any good bow technician would look it over while he's working on it . I can't imagine there is any bow shops that are busy right now.

28 minutes ago, uberyan said:

just curious with used purchases. Will shops charge to give it a once over to make sure everything is as it should be, not about to break etc?

The first bow I ever bought was used.  I then paid a shop $45 to "tune" it, which really just meant they gave it a once over, checked timing and center shot.  I would not hesitate to buy the used bow I wanted.  I have never had a problem buying a used bow on AT.  they were all fine.

Bought a used mathews on eBay a few years from an archery shop all loaded in case ready to go.. Got me into bow hunting, excellent experience...... Bought my second Mathews on Craigslist locally and i was able to customize it.. Sold my first Mathews for 575 when i paid 650 for it... Paid 475 for my second Mathews and still shoot it today. Will definitely hold value is what I'm saying... Best of luck

On 12/21/2016 at 11:40 AM, uberyan said:

The guy down here I go to in Corning is a Bowtech dealer. I never bought a bow from him but I needed a new string on my one tribute so he hooked me up with a new vaportrail. I bought my 2nd tribute on ebay, I called him and asked if he could give it a once over and he said no problem looked at it tuned all for free. The following year I got a new string for it, most shops will take care of you don't be afraid to explain to them your new to the sport and was wondering if they had any used equipment. Go in take a look and ask if they know anyone looking to get rid of a bow your looking for if not ask if they will do a once over on a bow if you get one. 

On 12/21/2016 at 11:40 AM, uberyan said:

Most will be honest, just be warned, there are a few that if you do not buy the bow from that shop, used or not, they will charge you way to much just to set the bow up, and/or look it over. Been there done that!

Thanks to all for your advice/recommendations. And thanks to all those who offered their used bows at a discounted rate.

I was able to find a brand new closeout bow on AT. Definitely went over my initial budget but the pricing was too good to pass up IMHO.

Will post some pics when it arrives, seller is ordering new cams from the mfr to better fit my draw length.

• Like 1