Hunting Bow recommendations

uberyan

Looking to pick up bow hunting in 2017.

Already spent a bunch of money on rifle and other hunting stuff the last few months so I'm trying to make it a budget rig purely for hunting.

In the price range I'm looking at ($3-400 for a RTS/RTH pkg) I've got it down to the following:

PSE Brute Force

Bear Threat

Diamond SB-1

PSE Stinger X

What are peoples' thoughts regarding these?

I dropped by a few pro shops to see if they had any used bows but it seems most don't like to deal with them and don't carry them. I wouldn't mind buying used if I knew where it was coming from or if there was some sort of warranty but not really keen on taking a flier off some random guy on CL or ebay.

I've no issues buying from a pro shop for a slightly higher price but it just seems at the price ranges I'm looking at they only have the super entry bows (Stinger, SB-1) as all their closeouts are sold.

From my understanding the Brute Force and Threat are in a somewhat higher model class so if I can get those at a comparable price then I figure that would be a better deal.

• Like 1

I would shop around as there are lots of shops out there. I find the service they provide along with knowledge out weighs a box store or used bow. 

I started out with a basic model and upgraded years later when I could all from a neighborhood shop. . He tuned or added gadgets for free whenever needed. As far as model as long as it's a named brand it becomes personal preference.  Get what feels good to shoot.  A lot like a refle or shotgun.   Some bows have multiple adjustments and they can help.  

Don't leave out Diamond. The Infinite Edge and Prism are solid bows around that price point. I bought the Prism this year and love the bow. It's accurate, pretty damn quiet, and pretty light even with a quiver and 4 arrows attached. Mine was $369 + shipping. It did not come with a quiver, only a rest, pin sight, and peep sight. I switched out the arrow rest that came with it for the WB I already had.

The big thing I came across in that price range was the bows were good, but the arrow rest was crap.

Get to a few shops and shoot a bit to get a feel for the bow. Also to get your draw length measured.

Buying a bow can get pricy fast when you head out to buy arrows and heads/tips. 

• Like 3

The drawbacks of location. You folks upstate may have a lot of shops to try out but here it's rather limited.

Big box stores and just a handful of small shops.

I've been to the main two that everyone mentions and there may be one or two less "famous" ones to try out.

the guy at one of shops was pushing the diamond sb-1 over the stinger quite a bit even though it was a cheaper pkg ($525 all setup with sights, rest, quiver plus arrows, release and case).

I've heard mixed comments when it comes to super adjustable models, mostly with a spongy feeling at full draw. 

23 minutes ago, uberyan said:

The drawbacks of location. You folks upstate may have a lot of shops to try out but here it's rather limited.

Big box stores and just a handful of small shops.

I've been to the main two that everyone mentions and there may be one or two less "famous" ones to try out.

If you have to go mail order, get something that has a good range of adjustability. Other wise you can drop serious coin on buying mods to change draw length and worse, different limbs for weight.

You will still have to get the right draw length. Maybe someone near you can help you figure that out.

As for a soft backwall, I have heard that about some pretty pricey bows as well. 

Edited by ....rob

My draw length measured 28-28.5 when I went to a range/shop last week.

The only thing I'm not exactly sure on is draw weight.

The rental I was using was set at around 40lbs as it was my first time shooting a bow and the guy said it would help me focus more on form and not get tired.

40 really felt like nothing. I'm not a huge framed guy, 5'9 180lbs, but probably on the stronger side, rather than weaker (aren't we all?).

Throwing up olympic movement weights is moot since drawing a bow is a whole different set of muscles I know.

I've no interest in pulling insanely high draw weights just so I can boost my e-penis size but at the same time, if I could hold a heavier weight without issue, no reason not to.

I should probably try to test it out in real life though...

49 minutes ago, uberyan said:

If I knew where/who it was coming from or if it had some sort of warranty behind it, yes.

craigslist probably not.  however, every bow i've bought on ebay has come from a shop just not one local to you.  ebay provides you with feed back.  a shop will be moving lots of stuff and have lots of feeback to go on.  give it a look.  bargain bows tend to show up and in great numbers on there especially now with newer bows all being out in a month or so (after ATA show).  that means they tend to be cheap.  they all will kill deer.

12 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

craigslist probably not.  however, every bow i've bought on ebay has come from a shop just not one local to you.  ebay provides you with feed back.  a shop will be moving lots of stuff and have lots of feeback to go on.  give it a look.  bargain bows tend to show up and in great numbers on there especially now with newer bows all being out in a month or so (after ATA show).  that means they tend to be cheap.  they all will kill deer.

Yep. The Brute Force is sort of my front runner. I'm tracking some through shops selling on ebay.

Mostly 2016 models, un-used that are being cleared out which is also my ideal scenario.

Tying in with my last comment of not being sure on draw weight, the brute force has the advantage of having a 20lb range rather than 10 like most.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I've bought 4 bows off AT in the last few years , i looked around real quick over there, i saw a bowtech assassin for 250 but it was sold . Just wondered if used was an option because guys are selling bows that came ready to shoot well within your price range. 

Yeah I'm on page 11 of the classifieds as we speak.

Seems like there are a decent number of shops selling off older stock there.

Unfortunately I've found the AT classifieds tend to be for much higher range bows.

I'd love to get one of the listed Prime or Elite with a sweet camo finish but you know, monies.

Unfortunately I've found the AT classifieds tend to be for much higher range bows.
I'd love to get one of the listed Prime or Elite with a sweet camo finish but you know, monies.

When I bought my matthews off AT I received as advertised just make sure you pay papal for goods and services not friends and family and papal will cover item. Another thing to try is put a a post like this describing what you want and people will post what they have for sale right to you. That's what I did and had the bow I wanted for a good price within hrs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

a few recommendations - go to 3 or 4 shops and have them measure your draw length. even the best bow in the world wont help you shoot well if your draw length is wrong. since you are brand new you should consider buying from a shop, most shops do not like working on used bows and if they are a quality shop they should tune and give you pointers on shooting your bow. buy a top dollar release there is no difference between a great trigger on a gun and a great trigger on a release it will help you shoot better.

Edited by rob-c

You should easily find an Elite in that price range, maybe even a 2015. You're looking on AT?
  • Like 1