Bucks!

NFA-ADK

You should learn to shoot a bow if you can hunt there.  Not really that hard to become proficient with a compound.   Or just get me access. Lol

it does seem odd that if archery is permitted xbows are not.  Same set back rules. 

3s is very strange in that is is almost suburban. There are some areas that have some space but not much. Also there are lots of towns that have no hunting laws. So when you find a good honey hole it can be really good. Lots of food sources with all the gardens and clean lawns.... I'll be out in 3s this weekend.. purely a meat hunt I'll take the first deer that walks by regardless of sex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

3s is very strange in that is is almost suburban. There are some areas that have some space but not much. Also there are lots of towns that have no hunting laws. So when you find a good honey hole it can be really good. Lots of food sources with all the gardens and clean lawns.... I'll be out in 3s this weekend.. purely a meat hunt I'll take the first deer that walks by regardless of sex

Good luck to u. And man enjoy, the rest of us are sidelined till next yr.

Cross guns shouldn't be allowed. Keep them out. Shoot it with a bow! Rather a compound or a recurve or a long bow! A bow! Something u actually have to draw! U know a little skill. 20-30 yrs max. Not aim and shoot 50-60 yrs. I mean might as well give u a gun at that point.

50-60yds? Lol. I'm dead on at 25yd so around 8" low at 40yds, by 60yds it's probably 30"+ low.

Your not one of those elitist compound hunters who hides in a treestand instead of killing from the ground are you?

tags are for guys who are scared to break the law in just the littlest ways . I rarely tag my deer. usually i will fill it out or just cut out the dates and shove it in my pocket. Out of the seven i brought home I think I tagged one of them and it was zip tied around the front leg. Big deal chase me down and fine me if you must but they all get filled out and I dont think you have to keep the tag on them once they are at home. waaaaaa i dont see tags. you guys are wrong . wrong i say  law breakers  criminals. shut the f up cry baby's  Give me a quarter and i will call your mommy. Christ I didn't know we had the judge on here. throw them in jail for Christ sake.

No tags in this picture either

muzzloader effect.jpg

18 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The way you tossed it out there, I bet many read that into it. That was all I was saying. 

Tha part in bold. Sure is sad that we now live in a place and time where it is guilty until proven innocent. 

Lets just say his reputation precedes him!

tags are for guys who are scared to break the law in just the littlest ways . I rarely tag my deer. usually i will fill it out or just cut out the dates and shove it in my pocket. Out of the seven i brought home I think I tagged one of them and it was zip tied around the front leg. Big deal chase me down and fine me if you must but they all get filled out and I dont think you have to keep the tag on them once they are at home. waaaaaa i dont see tags. you guys are wrong . wrong i say  law breakers  criminals. shut the f up cry baby's  Give me a quarter and i will call your mommy. Christ I didn't know we had the judge on here. throw them in jail for Christ sake.

No tags in this picture either

muzzloader effect.jpg

...but do you report them to DECALS/DEC? That's a lot more important than filling the things out. If not so be it. cant change the past but you should start as soon as you read this. I assume you don't because you didn't even mention it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 8:27 PM, nodeerhere said:

Cross guns shouldn't be allowed. Keep them out. Shoot it with a bow! Rather a compound or a recurve or a long bow! A bow! Something u actually have to draw! U know a little skill. 20-30 yrs max. Not aim and shoot 50-60 yrs. I mean might as well give u a gun at that point.

This your opinion not everyone elses

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, gjs4 said:

200,000-215,000 taken and how many mature deer pics are posted here? Hmmm

Four

What is your point gjs4?  They are just some pics, should I not post them? 

Making the point that NYs deer harvest is almost entirely composed of deer 2.5 and younger... people taunt here that they know of all these great bucks posted but only 4 made this thread. We don't lack genetics- just hunters with self control.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gjs4 said:

Making the point that NYs deer harvest is almost entirely composed of deer 2.5 and younger... people taunt here that they know of all these great bucks posted but only 4 made this thread. We don't lack genetics- just hunters with self control.

There are many that are never shown for obvious  reasons. One only has to check out Antlers website to see many of the ones guys did want to show.  I would guess for every big buck shown there is one or two not. 

• Like 1

I have to agree, many really good bucks are never seen on the web, many of these hunters want to keep the spot and the deer they take hush hush so no other hunters come into the area and ruin the hunting spots for these guys.   If you check out some of the other posts on this site you will see other mature deer taken, this is just my post.   Many really nice bucks taken throughout the state, western part of the state produces many awesome bucks and a bunch of other spots do as well just not everyone want to show them off to the web.  

I do agree with you gjs4 many bucks taken are 2.5 or younger but that is what meat hunters do is shoot the first deer available.   If you are in an area with high presser sometimes this is the most mature deer they have available to hunt.  Hard for someone to pass a 4 point when he is the only buck they ever see for the entire season.  And yes many young or inexperienced hunters will still shoot the first buck they see, not everyone has the control of a big buck hunter it is something you have to really want and have got to have excellent self control.  Much easer to shoot the first one and say your successful and go home. 

Only way to change that would be to mandate state wide AR and I know many would be very upset if this was implemented.  More and more hunters are passing young deer but it only takes one camp of brown and down to ruin an area.

I can say that on LI alone there are many other deer that are not posted.   I posted 2 from LI.  I would bet that over 30 mature bucks where taken from LI this season but most will never hit the web.  Many hunters keep the deer and area they hunt quiet.

14 hours ago, gjs4 said:

As a pure meat hunter, I am extremely well satisfied with the deer hunting we have here in NY state.   I do appreciate you and all the other trophy hunters that stick around and who have that self control.   That makes it easier for me to feed my family with tasty bucks that are 2-1/2 years old and younger.  2-1/2 year old bucks are my favorites to use my buck tag on but only because they offer the best combination of quality and quantity meat. I now pass the occasional 1-1/2 year old early in the seasons, only for that reason - to get a chance at more meat later.      It must take some sacrifices for you to remain NY residents, rather than moving off to another state that is more friendly to trophy hunters and has A/R's, no guns in rut, etc..   If no one else appreciates those sacrifices, my family and I certainly do.  Besides making our food cheaper, without you hanging around to carry some of the tax burden, we would have to pay more of those also.   Thanks again and good luck on getting an old one with big antlers this fall.           

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

We eat more venison than you- everyone that's hunts deer is a meat hunter. Work more and hunt less if funds are that tight. Btw - learning to cook will help your tablefare far more than shooting natures children. Excuses aren't necessary- just say you don't have the skills, drive, patience and self control... save us the rhetoric on how you're doing the best you can.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 5:00 PM, growalot said:

As far as tagging..I tag and stuff it way down in the ear. 

As do I and then zip tie the ear shut for the journey home on the deer carrier. 

My only chime in for other above comments : 

I also shoot average bucks . I'm patient , spend a lot of hours in the woods , scout a lot. I'm an average deer hunter   Some day I'll see a dandy , shoot it and become slightly better than average. I'll even tag it and report it ^_^

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gjs4 said:

Excuses aren't necessary- just say you don't have the skills, drive, patience and self control... save us the rhetoric on how you're doing the best you can.

I don't have the skills, drive, patience or self control..............

But I did have a great morning and have a great memory of a fine day with family & friends. 

image_zpsb7604108.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 6

The tag is easier to spot than the antlers on this little 6-point that I killed at the tail end (in more ways than one) of rifle season up in the Adirondacks last year.   I always attach the tag to the rear tendon (on bucks and does) and I wrap it with duct tape if transporting on the outside of a vehicle.  I leave it there until I finish processing the meat, then move it to the antlers if it is a larger buck that I take to the taxidermist.  I usually stick the tag on the back of a board with smaller racks that I saw off with the scull plate or do a Euro-mount on medium-sized ones.   That makes it easy to remember what year and where the buck was killed many years later.  I never consider a hunting season completely successful unless I fill both of my buck tags.  An unfilled tag does not provide any food so my patience and self-control always evaporate around Thanksgiving.   1126161541.jpg