Got my dream gun yesterday!

SuperMag

Well I added another gun to my collection.. A factory 35 Whelen 7600 carbine. I've wanted one of these for years and seeing buckmaster7600s collection just made me want one even more. This is my third 7600 and by far my favorite gun in my collection. It came with a synthetic stock but I threw some walnut on it as soon as I got it home. I'm really looking forward to shooting it.

I also have a new Remington V3 walnut coming in the next couple weeks.

Anyone have any reloading experience with the 35 Whelen or any experience shooting the cartridge? I'm looking at making up a good load for next season.

27f7bd625730604b4f55b9271f866ff5.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 15

Nice score !!

I don't have a Whelen,but I do have a 9.3 x 62, which is similar in ballistics...My favorite load sends a 250 grain Barnes X downrange at about 2500 FPS MV.

The medium calibers got their reputation as great killers of medium and big game( the Whelen is fully capable of taking the largest game on the continent, INCLUDING the big bears)  by launching heavy for caliber bullets at moderate velocities.

If you load 180 or 200 grain bullets, you have no real advantage over a 30-06... Develop a load for 225 or even better, 250 grain bullets and you have a whole different critter..The heavy bullets expand and penetrate , even  at less than ideal angles, and it still shoots flat enough for a 300 yard shot.

• Like 2

I have 2 Whelens in bolt rifles. I shoot 225gr in the one and 250gr RN in the other. Also have an older model 760 rechambered to 358 Win. All seem to hit like the hammer of Thor on whitetails. I took a Moose in Newfoundland with my Ruger whelen using accubond bullets. Don't recall of the top of my head what weight.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Thanks guys

My dream is to go on a moose hunt one day and I would love to take one with this gun. When I start reloading for it once I get the dies and some brass I think I'm going to make up different loads with 225 and 250 grain bullets just to see which it prefers and really get the full potential out of the gun like Pygmy said.

For now I'm going to sight it in with these 200 grain hornady superformances I have and go from there. I haven't heard much on the superformance ammo but I know hornady usually makes a good product.

• Like 2

Thanks guys

My dream is to go on a moose hunt one day and I would love to take one with this gun. When I start reloading for it once I get the dies and some brass I think I'm going to make up different loads with 225 and 250 grain bullets just to see which it prefers and really get the full potential out of the gun like Pygmy said.

For now I'm going to sight it in with these 200 grain hornady superformances I have and go from there. I haven't heard much on the superformance ammo but I know hornady usually makes a good product.

The factory 1in16 twist on those can hurt accuracy with the 250's but I have heard of some that love them so you'll have to try and see what she likes. When you get your dies make sure you get some Barnes 225's mine loves them!

• Like 1

The factory 1in16 twist on those can hurt accuracy with the 250's but I have heard of some that love them so you'll have to try and see what she likes. When you get your dies make sure you get some Barnes 225's mine loves them!

Good to know. I'll definitely start off with the 225 grain and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...