Mountain Rifle

Salmon_Run

On 1/2/2017 at 11:49 AM, Tikka T3 said:

I went with a Tikka T3 in 7-08 six years ago and never looked back. Had the barrel cut to 18inches and mounted a Lupe 2x7 on it. I like the Tikka because of the detach magazine. I load and shoot 140 gr BT and hunt the Adirondacks were I live. I leave the Remingtons in the safe now but still take the Savage 99 in 250-3000 for a couple of walks each year.  

Ever shoot a whitetail with the 250-3000?  I bought one from a family member.  It's a great shooting gun, but I have always "over gunned" for whitetail.  I know that a 100 grain bullet will get the job done, but none of the 20ish deer I shot with my 7 Rem Mag ever complained.

SWEEET, Stubborn... A very nice caliber...Is your rifle a Savage 99 ?  

When I first started hunting in the early 1960s a lot of local guys were using them as woodchuck rifles...The .243 was just getting established, the .22-250 was still a wildcat, and the .223 hadn't been born yet.   It is an excellent low recoil  combo varmint/deer round, every bit as capable as the .243 Win....

I always wished I had picked one up when Remington offered that chambering in their 700 Classic series..

A lot of history in that round with the Savage 99..It was the first cartridge that reached 3000 FPS  with a factory load ( albeit with a 87 grain bullet)  hence the name 250-3000...Later years  it was usually referred  to as the  250 Savage...

Edited by Pygmy

270, 280 and 30-06 recoil is very similar until you get into the heavier 06's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 280 is the exact same round as a 7mm mag but it is not a belted round.

Very flat shooting round. I own it in a remington mountain rifle as well as the 06 in the mountain rifle. They are both tack drivers' sub .75 moa.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

The 280 is the exact same round as a 7mm mag but it is not a belted round.

Very flat shooting round. I own it in a remington mountain rifle as well as the 06 in the mountain rifle. They are both tack drivers' sub .75 moa.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

The only thing that's the same is the projectile. The 7mag has a case capacity of 82 or 83gn h2o, and I'm pretty sure 280 is about 68gn h20 its at least 12 or 14 more grains capacity. That's what gives it its 150ish fps gains over the 280. Really negligible gains but it the 7mm has magnum in the name and that sells.

Pygmy,

The rifle is a Savage 99, and it's a shooter.  The trigger has been lightened to around 4lbs, and it has almost no recoil.  I have a couple boxes of ammo for it, and I don't think ammo is as scarce as some other calibers.  I'm not sure I can bring myself to carry it.  I'm pretty partial to my 7 Rem Mag.

I thought the 7mm was .284, not .280?  I'm surprised there's not more difference in capacity between it and the 7mm-08.  They look pretty different to me when you put them side-by-side.  One big difference IMO is recoil.  I'm fairly well used to the Mag, but the 7mm-08 is a dream to shoot in comparison.  The only reason I shoot the Mag is that my best friend gave it to me years ago.  He bought it for himself, and couldn't get used to the recoil. He was used to the .308.  After outshooting him with it several times he told me to keep it.  I've shot 20 or so deer with it, a few coyotes, and a bunch of woodchucks.  It would be hard to switch deer rifles for me.  The model 99 will stay in the safe for now.  

You are correct..7MM is .284 ".... 280 is just Remington's label for their cartridge when they developed it to compete  with Winchester's 270, which  uses .277"  bullets, by the way.   American cartridges are a real hodgepodge of labels which are often misleading...Some are even named after people who developed them, like the .257 Roberts and the .416 Taylor...

• Like 1

Pygmy,
The rifle is a Savage 99, and it's a shooter.  The trigger has been lightened to around 4lbs, and it has almost no recoil.  I have a couple boxes of ammo for it, and I don't think ammo is as scarce as some other calibers.  I'm not sure I can bring myself to carry it.  I'm pretty partial to my 7 Rem Mag.
I thought the 7mm was .284, not .280?  I'm surprised there's not more difference in capacity between it and the 7mm-08.  They look pretty different to me when you put them side-by-side.  One big difference IMO is recoil.  I'm fairly well used to the Mag, but the 7mm-08 is a dream to shoot in comparison.  The only reason I shoot the Mag is that my best friend gave it to me years ago.  He bought it for himself, and couldn't get used to the recoil. He was used to the .308.  After outshooting him with it several times he told me to keep it.  I've shot 20 or so deer with it, a few coyotes, and a bunch of woodchucks.  It would be hard to switch deer rifles for me.  The model 99 will stay in the safe for now.  

If you like the 7 mm rem mag but like the recoil of the 7mm08 why not split the difference and get something in 7mm express ;) Not much slower than the mag with a lot less recoil and better velocities than the little 7mm-08. The great thing about rifle cartridges is we really can have our cake and eat it too.

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

If you like the 7 mm rem mag but like the recoil of the 7mm08 why not split the difference and get something in 7mm express ;) Not much slower than the mag with a lot less recoil and better velocities than the little 7mm-08. The great thing about rifle cartridges is we really can have our cake and eat it too.

Hehehehehehe....You, Sir, are a turd poker......<<wink>>....

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2016 at 8:39 AM, Salmon_Run said:

I am looking at a new Remington model 700 Mountain SS, rifle chambered in .280.

It is weather proof, bomb proof and lightweight. I love my Kimber 84 but cry carrying that in the big woods swamps in the rain and snow.

Any thoughts guys ?

I would likely top it with a 3x9 scope and use it in Western New York as well as it is a flat, hard hitting round suited for open fields as well... 

Edited by Coachdad
My comment didn't show up

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 types of adirondacks.....

Open forested areas...   something medium range like your 280, 270, or 30-06 wil do.   Open scopes are nice, but some power in lower light to make sure your bullet is not going to skip on a branch....   I bring a remington ADL in 30-06 with 180gr cor-lokt heads.  I got the a burris fullfield II in 3-9x40.   If the hunt is more of a hike, I bring a glenfiled model 30 with lyman peep sight.  I like the 150gr cor-lokt heads in my reloads.

However, most of the time I'm hunting swamp edges and regrowth spots in my club's leased paper company land.   I am getting close to see them and they may see me and be spooked.  I want some horsepower incase a shot get a bit sloppy.   I got a browning BLR in 450 marlin with a 1.25-4.5x32 bushnell elite 3200 scope.   I'd hunt in those open spots with these too if the hunt takes me there.

If the hunt is more of a scout mission, or I am checking cameras or have the gun on the ATV rack, the glenfield 30 is coming with me.   Without a scope, it feels like I'm fielding a 22.

Alot of calibers will work..  The real trick is scope tuning.   Get that scope to fit you like a glove.  You may need to adjust the hieght of the rings, or adjust the scope forward or back.  I put the scope on loose and spend 15 minutes playing with it.  High power, low power, offhand, kneeling, bench, sitting in a small chair point down like in a treestand.  That extra second you gain finding the recticle and seeing through it well can make all the difference out there.  You may get a second for a shot.  A well adjusted scope mount will give you 2 seconds........

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Padre86 said:

What open areas are there in the Adirondacks?  Except for lakes and blow-down, I haven't encountered many clearings up there.

You must hunt near me !!!!

I travel 3 miles going one mile map distance getting around swamps, creeks, blow downs, witch hobble and alders.....  

• Like 1