Beginner Help

Was looking at that call as well.

Obvious is play the wind, if using white light hit them with edge of light. A light man makes shooting easier. No need to call any stand more than 20 minutes and then move on to another. If areas are hit hard by others ditch the dying rabbit as they've heard that before. Shotty loaded with # 4 buck works well close and personal. Don't use a tight choke as you'll blow the pattern. Snow and moon make for a lot easier to see them. I've hunted those conditions quite a few times without any light. A rigor rabbit or some type of decoy is good to use. You can use just about anything with feathers or a bunny fur attached to it. Just something for them to see. Hope some of this helps. And fully expect to have a cop waiting for you at roadside vehicle wondering what the heck you're doing lol  There's something neat about discharging a shotgun in the wee hours of the morning

Few good vids on YouTube. Stick to the eastern ones. Like any hunting- more prep and hunting the right spots and conditions is how to make it look easy. Attention to detail is key. If mature deer aren't your thing- coyotes won't be either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm hadn't thought about the shotgun. I was going to use the 30-06 as my only other rifle is a .22. What sort of distances am I looking at? You said stand? I was thinking ground like turkey no? Obviously just toying with this without expectations. What times are good?

40 yards with buckshot. Stand= is what they call your set up. No need to call more than 20 minutes from each one and move on. If limited places to hunt maybe wait on some snow and a good moon if nobody using the light for you. Dawn is good but night time is better. I've killed a lot of fox. Coyotes , not so much. Going to take it more serious this year though. 

One of the biggest mistakes I made starting last year was not buying a quality predator light.  I missed out on two greys because I was either fumbling with a clunky spotlight or had a gun mounted light that was too dim.  

End of last season I picked up a Wicked Lights 250 that works great.  I'm adding a Night Eyes red headlamp for scanning so I can stay totally hands free.   If I miss out on anything again, it won't be the lights fault!

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys. Watched some videos last night and as with anything there are certainly the ability to get expensive and serious here. I've always been one to do it right or not at all, but was really hoping for the ability to not have to buy a lot of new gear. I might try some daytime for giggles and maybe morning before I start adding up the price tag with lights and stuff.

Just looking for pop control and not much more.

On 12/28/2016 at 7:29 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

40 yards with buckshot. Stand= is what they call your set up. No need to call more than 20 minutes from each one and move on. If limited places to hunt maybe wait on some snow and a good moon if nobody using the light for you. Dawn is good but night time is better. I've killed a lot of fox. Coyotes , not so much. Going to take it more serious this year though. 

20 minutes? I stay on mine for 45 minimum, and have had coyotes come out right around that time frame. They like to hang back just inside tree lines or brush for a while alot of the time. Foxes on the other hand, usually come barreling in as soon as they can. We used to do 20-30 min stands and only ever killed fox. Started staying longer, and the yotes started appearing. Wind is crucial.

If you can get someone to run the call for you, have them call from about 50 to 75 yards behind you. The only problem with this, is that it can be tougher to see the eye shines, as they may not be looking directly at you when they come in.

Dont just go at night, dusk and dawn are great times. Even daytime hunts in low pressured spots can be good.

• Like 1

It's cheaper if you order the call right from foxpro. huge advantage of getting it directly from foxpro is you get to choose what calls YOU want and not preloaded ones. we have best luck hunting at night in the fields. we use cyclops gun mounted light on the guns. foxpro offers a decoy attached to the caller that works great. we sit on the ground and call for apx 20mins. if we see nothing we move on. good luck to you.

On 12/28/2016 at 6:00 PM, Belo said:

A little bored this week. Saw dicks has a foxpro wildfire on sale for $150 and thought it might be fun. There's a bunch of yotes on our property and just looking for low stress hunting.

Any good videos, tips or articles anyone can share?

Low stress..Hmmm. Coyote hunting is awesome. Go to "BARK AT THE MOON" web site. Lots of information there

• Like 1

On 12/28/2016 at 10:24 PM, Jdubs said:

. . . End of last season I picked up a Wicked Lights 250 that works great.  I'm adding a Night Eyes red headlamp for scanning so I can stay totally hands free.   If I miss out on anything again, it won't be the lights fault!

Thanks for the lead on the Wicked Lights. Nice looking equipment.

• Like 1

Low stress..Hmmm. Coyote hunting is awesome. Go to "BARK AT THE MOON" web site. Lots of information there

By low stress I mean, if I don't have success I'm not as bummed about it as I am with turkey and deer, especially when it comes to wanting to put meat in the freezer.

I'll jump in and say I have some experience of shooting a fair number of fox, coyotes not so much. Have always used the big cumbersome johhny stewart cassette caller. With a 25 foot cord playing the wind was more difficult to achieve than say with a remote caller. For my birthday I received a FoxPro Wildfire. Questions for you more experienced in the remote caller department

What calls do you have success with ?

Sequence of calls maybe?  Start with coyote locater or jump into pup distress, challenge call etc ?

It has Foxbang too. When unit detects gun shot it'll automatically switch to a programmed set call. I've heard the coyote pup distress might be a good one to try and grab a follow up shot or try and shoot a 2nd coyote. Any thoughts appreciated.

I read the remote for this unit is capable of 100 yards or so if unobstructed. Thinking of hunting a field with caller in field and me sitting on woods edge. Wind will be blowing from caller to hopeful yotes coming in. I'll be set off to the side out of the wind.

Going to add the whirligig like thing to the caller for sight attraction.

Going to wait to get some more snow as it makes sighting them a lot easier. I know by tracks and cams I have 5-6 in the area I deer hunt.

It's been a few years since I've been out calling. There's something pretty cool about touching off a shot in the wee hours of the morning.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

TF, I've had good luck with distress sounds like rabbit, bird, kitten,etc. This time of year I'll start adding more coyote vocalizations to my sets. I always start a set with a small animal distress sound in case there's any fox nearby. If you start a set with coyote vocalizations, chances are any nearby fox will go the other way.
I'll usually play a distress sound for 1-2 minutes then go silent for 2-3 minutes. Then I'll switch sounds. I like to try 2-3 different distress sounds per set before I try coyote vocalizations.
Then I'll try a lone howl for 15 seconds. Pause for 1 minute. Lone howl again. Pause for another minute. If no response I'll hit challenge howl for 20 seconds. If no reply I'll go silent for 4-5 minutes because they'll sometimes come in silently. Still no sightings, I'll crank up the group howl for 30-40 seconds then wait a couple minutes. If still nothing I'll do a K9 distress of some kind as a last ditch effort.

• Like 2