Public Land Near NYC

trashcan

Hey guys, 

I live Michigan, but might move to NYC for a teaching position soon. I am wondering where the closest public land to NYC would be. I hunt deer with a bow and a firearm. Does anyone know of some close areas I could hunt? I understand that it will be a challenge, but it would be pretty slick if I could keep my hunting commute under an hour.

Your replies or messages are greatly appreciated!

P.S. If this question has already been posted, I apologize. 

11 hours ago, Uptown Redneck said:

There's Sterling Forest which is a very manageable drive from most parts of NYC 

I was operating on the OP's desire to keep it under an hour.  Sterling is right at an hour for me an I live pretty much live on the north-western corner of NYC.

Strictly driving time, assuming you are a decent driver, you can reach many places in Putnam, Westchester, Long Island, and Orange within an hour.

If you tack on getting ready, grabbing breakfast, getting the car, loading the car, doing your make-up, etc, then you'll never make it under an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

On 12/30/2016 at 8:54 PM, diplomat019 said:

Go to the DEC site.  anything in putnam, westechester. long island, rockland and orange county should all be within an hour or so drive from nyc.  Good luck

I grew up in Rockland, there is absolutely ZERO public land where one can hunt. Fishing yes, hunting not a chance 

I'm from the City. 

Not many hunters here or those willing to admit it - lol.

Putnam county, westchester is your best bet, but I've also hunted in Medford Long Island which is @ an hour away.

if you move to city, make sure you register your guns because you will have a serious problem with the NYPD.

cheers

I grew up in Rockland, there is absolutely ZERO public land where one can hunt. Fishing yes, hunting not a chance 

Yea I live in west Nyack and I wish there was some public land here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public land in Rockland County yes - ones open to hunting Zero.
  Fishing - several places.

Some listed are not even in Rockland, but, in Sullivan County - Painter Hill Multiple Use Area, Neversink Unique Area,  Wurtsboro Ridge State Forest, and Shawangunk Ridge State Forest.  Those do allow hunting, but you are looking at 2 hours or more from NYC.

Before moving, check all the firearm regulations for NY and NYC. Make sure you do not have illegal mags/features (items that NY considers an assault rifle).  NY Safe Act, etc.