Jennifer

I am not new to hunting but I'm new to waterfowl hunting. My dad taught me to hunt but he hates the water so this is just something I never learned. Last year I was gifted a guided hunt (from a blind). It was a slow day and only one small group of birds came in, but I shot my first goose and I loved it. Waterfowling is so much different than the deer/turkey/squirrel hunting I grew up learning, and it's very gear-intensive, which is new to me as my gear to date has pretty much been limited to some hand me down hunting clothes and a firearm.
I live in a small place and have no way to have a dog nor a boat in my current situation. I don't have a garage/basement/attic or even a closet so storing a lot of gear is a bit of an issue for me. I just saved up for a few months, and bought my first set of neoprene chest waders, and I can probably afford a handful of decoys (will have to store them in the living room.. maybe I'll name them, haha). I know that without a dog or a boat I'm mostly limited to field hunting to minimize losses, and I'm okay with that. For now I'd love to goose hunt, I find the meat on par with good venison!

Am I nuts for trying to do this on a very small budget and with very little gear? They say that you find a way to do what you love despite hurdles. I'm trying, with my limited resources.

I'm also having trouble finding a place to hunt. In the past year I've approached several farmers with fields but no luck so far. I'm a member of DU but I feel it'd be rude for me to ask someone to take me along so I can learn the ropes. I know people are very protective of their spots, which I understand. The state lands around here are wooded; great for deer, squirrel, turkey, but not so much for geese. I'm feeling a bit daunted. I don't know anyone within many hours drive that waterfowl hunts. Any advice?

For reference, I live in Southwestern NY, near Olean.

6 hours ago, Jennifer said:

I am not new to hunting but I'm new to waterfowl hunting. My dad taught me to hunt but he hates the water so this is just something I never learned. Last year I was gifted a guided hunt (from a blind). It was a slow day and only one small group of birds came in, but I shot my first goose and I loved it. Waterfowling is so much different than the deer/turkey/squirrel hunting I grew up learning, and it's very gear-intensive, which is new to me as my gear to date has pretty much been limited to some hand me down hunting clothes and a firearm.
I live in a small place and have no way to have a dog nor a boat in my current situation. I don't have a garage/basement/attic or even a closet so storing a lot of gear is a bit of an issue for me. I just saved up for a few months, and bought my first set of neoprene chest waders, and I can probably afford a handful of decoys (will have to store them in the living room.. maybe I'll name them, haha). I know that without a dog or a boat I'm mostly limited to field hunting to minimize losses, and I'm okay with that. For now I'd love to goose hunt, I find the meat on par with good venison!

Am I nuts for trying to do this on a very small budget and with very little gear? They say that you find a way to do what you love despite hurdles. I'm trying, with my limited resources.

I'm also having trouble finding a place to hunt. In the past year I've approached several farmers with fields but no luck so far. I'm a member of DU but I feel it'd be rude for me to ask someone to take me along so I can learn the ropes. I know people are very protective of their spots, which I understand. The state lands around here are wooded; great for deer, squirrel, turkey, but not so much for geese. I'm feeling a bit daunted. I don't know anyone within many hours drive that waterfowl hunts. Any advice?

For reference, I live in Southwestern NY, near Olean.

Long time no see. :)

Welcome back............hunting mallards and wood ducks in cut corn fields can be incredible.  FINDING the right field can be a chore but when you do, it;ll blow your mind.  I've only done it a couple times because it tends to interfere with bow hunting too much.

To find the fields, be out on the roads at first light and dusk, watching the skies for small flocks of ducks.  If possible without getting in a wreck, chase them down in your car and see where they're feeding.  They will hit those fields for a few days before moving on to something better but if you can find a good spot, find the farmer/landowner and ask permission.  Most of the time they look at you like you're on crack.  See, MOST people shoot ducks over water, not land. 

If/when you nail down permission, go to the field at mid day when they are back resting on water and dig a little pit blind.  It doesn't have to be much at all, just scratch out a little depression to lay in, face up of course. :)  Then, grab a small hunk of camo or burlap that'll cover you up pretty good.  Put out a half dozen goose decoys (shells, silhouettes or full body) in the right position for their intended approach.  (that stuff you'll need to read up on as my fingers are getting sleepy already and don't have much juice left in them)

When the time is right, head on out to your spot, spread the dekes, lay in your little "hide", cover up and get ready for some action.

No dog, no boat......no sweat.

• Like 1

Find some Stateline along rivers, lake. you have waders now so you can get out chest deep. I'm new to it as well in the sothern tier, and that's all I do and have had success. I've never have tried field hunting. I know in the Olean/allegany area alot of the corn fields are leased out to a group that guide hunts. Get a dozen mallard decoys that you can find on sale, a call and your all set

If you want some decent-old school goose shell decoys, try Flambeau Carry Lite goose decoys...you can find them on ebay. These are for fields- not water.

They will stack one on top of the other for easy, compact storage, and they are very effective.

Also, the OLT 800 was a very good, reasonably priced goose call.

Edited by halfnelson
add on info

as law said nice to see ya back.

isn't waterfowling addictive?  while yes you have some hurdles its not impossible.

unfortunately you are not in a waterfowl flight area where you have tons of birds to deal with,  also as you have found getting access is tough and seems to be getting tougher since the whole duck dynasty fad hit the scene.

late season this year we are dealing with most small bodies of water being froze out unless its fairly fast moving water or having us rig the big waters.

a few tips;

you do not need to spend a fortune on decoys for what you are trying to do as most spots are going to have relatively small groups of birds.

scout, scout and scout some more, note where and when you are seeing birds and the species.  it does not matter how many decoys you have out or how well you are calling if the birds do not want to be there they will rarely commit.

if you are looking at water hunts you need to be very careful, wading in rivers and large streams can be very dangerous with underwater tripping hazards, sharp drop offs etc. remember its not July.  I would strongly suggest a life jacket and a second person to go along. Things happen fast. I would also suggest a good fishing pole with 10 lb. test line and a large surface plug with big treble hooks so you can cast over the bird reel in snag it and then just crank it in. 

If your wading and walking in to the spot a complete change of clothes and shoes sealed up in a garbage bag stashed in a back pack  can literally be a life saver if you take a swim.

take only high percentage shots to minimize chances of cripples, if shooting over decoys best to wait till they have their paddles down just before landing.  I would suggest #2 or #3 steel shot.

if you were closer you could jump in on a hunt and see what big water waterfowling is all about.   good luck, be safe and shoot straight.

• Like 1

isn't waterfowling addictive?  while yes you have some hurdles its not impossible.
unfortunately you are not in a waterfowl flight area where you have tons of birds to deal with,  also as you have found getting access is tough and seems to be getting tougher since the whole duck dynasty fad hit the scene.
late season this year we are dealing with most small bodies of water being froze out unless its fairly fast moving water or having us rig the big waters.
a few tips;
you do not need to spend a fortune on decoys for what you are trying to do as most spots are going to have relatively small groups of birds.
scout, scout and scout some more, note where and when you are seeing birds and the species.  it does not matter how many decoys you have out or how well you are calling if the birds do not want to be there they will rarely commit.
if you are looking at water hunts you need to be very careful, wading in rivers and large streams can be very dangerous with underwater tripping hazards, sharp drop offs etc. remember its not July.  I would strongly suggest a life jacket and a second person to go along. Things happen fast. I would also suggest a good fishing pole with 10 lb. test line and a large surface plug with big treble hooks so you can cast over the bird reel in snag it and then just crank it in. 
If your wading and walking in to the spot a complete change of clothes and shoes sealed up in a garbage bag stashed in a back pack  can literally be a life saver if you take a swim.
take only high percentage shots to minimize chances of cripples, if shooting over decoys best to wait till they have their paddles down just before landing.  I would suggest #2 or #3 steel shot.

if you were closer you could jump in on a hunt and see what big water waterfowling is all about.   good luck, be safe and shoot straight.

This is an excellent post, water in the Winter is no joke and if you're hunting alone please stick to fields. As Law said that's some of the best hunting there is. Look for a wet spot in a cut corn field and chances are mallards will be hitting it at first light. You won't even need dekes in that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for the kind advice! Most of my family thinks I am a fool but I just can't stop dreaming about waterfowling!

21 hours ago, halfnelson said:

If you want some decent-old school goose shell decoys, try Flambeau Carry Lite goose decoys...you can find them on ebay. These are for fields- not water.

They will stack one on top of the other for easy, compact storage, and they are very effective.

Also, the OLT 800 was a very good, reasonably priced goose call.

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll look into those.

20 hours ago, reeltime said:

a few tips;

Fortunately I birdwatch enough and have lived here long enough not to have grand dreams of waves and waves of birds coming in! Any waterfowl hunting is pretty exciting to me so I'm okay with not being on a major flightpath.
I'm not looking to be wading in any moving water, nor anything that I know is more than a few feet deep now that it's winter. I'll be safe and my husband will be with me. Neither of us are a fan of taking a swim! Getting soaked can be just as easy as getting soaked in a river, if I get clumsy in a flooded field. I suppose the only difference is there's no change to get swept away in a puddle. The sealed pack with a change of fresh clothes is a great idea even if we will be near shallow water. I appreciate that bit of advice!
The goose I took last year was just a few feet before landing, I would rather watch the birds circle and leave than take long shots on them, especially without a dog. I love these beautiful birds too much than to needlessly cripple them.

Thanks all again for the advice. It's probably unlikely I'll be going out before the 15th of Jan rolls around just because I haven't gotten permission anywhere yet but we'll see. Maybe I'll find someplace before the March goose season.

Edited by Jennifer

Here's the gateway drug goose from last year. The guides had me pose with my duck stamp, they got a huge kick that I was using my own stamp on my first waterfowl hunt. Only the top goose is mine; the others are from the good shooting from the rest of the group. Foolishly I didn't think to test the nontoxic shells I was using that day in my shotgun, and my gun didn't like to eject them properly and jammed after the first shot. I will still tickled as could be to have been there honestly so I wasn't even mad! CRCS is who sponsored my hunt and I am very thankful. This was in Allegany.

1918515_956512161106517_4185287670329323

• Like 3

Your first goose had a band !!  How cool is THAT !!

Good luck, Jennifer  !   

I love waterfowling, but like you I am not on a major flight route..I have had some great hunts over the years, but in this area they are the exception rather than the rule...I would love to live somewhere that offered good , consistent waterfowling.

I'd rather hunt ducks than deer anytime..They taste great, they are easier to carry home, and the decoys are much lighter.