new leupold scope

vizslas

Currently  my scope on the ML is a few years old and was not designed to be a inline scope... Nikon pro staff 3x9  40 mil. I like the idea of the BDC reticle  but hate the way they make them, not fond of the circles.  I have been looking  for something new for a while now and Leupold has a new scope  check this one out. Its the Ultimate slam 3x9 x40 cds

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/shotgunmuzzleloader-scopes/

With my smokeless muzzleloader I'm not too worried about long distance shooting.  I'm an inch high at a 100 yards and low at 200 yards.  :)

I don't have the actual count on how many deer I've killed with it but it has to be close to 20 now....and another 7-10 with other muzzleloaders and there hasn't been a deer killed past 175 yards yet with any of them. 

Maybe you have some opportunities in your locale for some longer distance shooting and can justify the BDC reticles but for me, I'm VERY confident out to 200 then I'm probably passing on the shot.

Good luck with your choice!

• Like 2

I took five with it this year and the shots were at distances of 120 125 160 155 197. and these were shots that are in the small field that i hunt  in pendelton . I also hunt in middleport and all of the fields that i hunt next   make 200 yards seem like a stones throw.. Now I know that a three hundred yard shot could happen any day and being ready for it takes all you have Considering hunting situations. I would have had my choice of two bucks this year... I woke up late one day therefore  i was the guy who had to do the push, so i carried my 1100. Not that i am prepared to shoot at three hundred yards with the ml,  After shooting my set up for a couple years  I am quite confident that i can group this bullet at three hundred. I like the reticle design  on this scope

I shoot a barnes mz expander 245 grain bullet with 112 grains of blackhorn.  No I have not shot the gun at 300 yards The furthest I have sighted is 127 yards. I now belong to a club with a two hundred yard range. At 127 yards  I have 3 three shot groups  all under 2 and a quarter inches. I can change my powder measure up and down  a few grains . still need convince myself that I either have found the sweet spot or not yet. Way more range time to come. I think will stick with these bullets though. and switch to harvester sabots.

22 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

With results like that. Why change ?  Don't fix what's not broken 

I would like a inline designed scope for my ML.Witch then in turn frees up a scope for my British 303.Since I am not a fan of the Nikon BDC reticles this meets the check list. and the windplex reticle is pretty sweet. It can only help with windage adjustments. With a little range time on some windy days. The CDS dial is kinda like the cream on the cookie...

A couple more days and I think i might swing the hammer on this. Win Win I would have to sight it in , ahhh the small pleasures in life

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK so Leupold wants to know what my muzzle velocity is. Well dog gone it now I can give them accurate information. Super happy with this . i picked this up on ebay used . It looks like its brand new. I picked up a cymbal stand from a drum kit. the top plate  needed to be tapped for 1/4 -20, but after I did that everything went together flawlessly.

chrony.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, vizslas said:

I shoot a barnes mz expander 245 grain bullet with 112 grains of blackhorn.  No I have not shot the gun at 300 yards The furthest I have sighted is 127 yards. I now belong to a club with a two hundred yard range. At 127 yards  I have 3 three shot groups  all under 2 and a quarter inches. I can change my powder measure up and down  a few grains . still need convince myself that I either have found the sweet spot or not yet. Way more range time to come. I think will stick with these bullets though. and switch to harvester sabots.

I assume this is 112 by volume?  I shoot 120 by volume.  That slug is moving for 245g.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf