stalking/still hunting

rachunter

i'm going gun shopping this weekend it was supposed to be for a revolver,but i'm going to check out rifles instead.my boss swears by his rem. 7600 3006.i'm going to look around for one.i never picked up or tried on fast cycling a rifle because i always shot off the bench.that just changed!! 

I have a bunch of them and have been tinkering on them since I was a kid, If you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I love my blr, but I'd pass on buying another.

The triggers are ok at best, you can't take it apart to clean, and they don't get the best groups due to the design.

Coyote hunting,  you'd be better off with a bolt gun. Browning makes great stuff, but a bolt action box magazine in a lever gun is tough to make well.

You live up there.....

Nice. Learn one place very well, and get the basics of 2 other places ok.

Fishing, trapping, small game, backpackinh, and canoeing.  Give them time too.

Also, once you get around 2ft of snow,  it's a whole differect game.  Learn about winter yarding areas.

VT makes a good guide for managing timberlands for deer yarding.  Look it up.

Learn the names of features of land.  Learn about shrubs and trees.  It helps alot.  

Journal on the computer is great.  I do that for my hunts.  Again, GPS used well can be an awesome tool.

• Like 1

I also agree that still hunting requires much skill, woodsmanship & patience. In my opinion it's also the most enjoyable way to hunt. I've killed many bedded deer without them knowing that I was in their bedroom. I've never had the opportunity with a bow though, that would be the ultimate hunting accomplishment.

Edited by catskillkid
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sailinghudson25 said:

You live up there.....

Nice. Learn one place very well, and get the basics of 2 other places ok.

Fishing, trapping, small game, backpackinh, and canoeing.  Give them time too.

Also, once you get around 2ft of snow,  it's a whole differect game.  Learn about winter yarding areas.

VT makes a good guide for managing timberlands for deer yarding.  Look it up.

Learn the names of features of land.  Learn about shrubs and trees.  It helps alot.  

Journal on the computer is great.  I do that for my hunts.  Again, GPS used well can be an awesome tool.

i don't live up there yet i bought the house for retirement in four years.when i do get up there full time it's on.

the blr didn't get to many good reviews.i have a remington 700 22-250 it's a little overkill for the thick areas i hunt.

i have been using a gsp for years now it's a very useful tool for sure,

13 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have a bunch of them and have been tinkering on them since I was a kid, If you have any questions let me know.

is there any difference in the new or older models?  

this guy has 3006,270 and 308

http://www.coliseumguns.net/product.remington-7600-standard-pump-30-06-springfield-185-41-satin-walnut-stk-blued

is there any difference in the new or older models?  
this guy has 3006,270 and 308
http://www.coliseumguns.net/product.remington-7600-standard-pump-30-06-springfield-185-41-satin-walnut-stk-blued

Depends on who you ask. I don't think the new ones are the same quality as the older ones "around 2003 and prior." Stay away from their dull finish it tends to rust with rain in the forecast. I don't like the Monte Carlo stocks on the new ones either, that's a personal thing because I like small scopes mounted very low. If you get a newer one that has the plastic on the bottom of the mags throw them in the garbage and get on eBay and buy the older all metal ones.

Here's a picture of mine that I use the most. I have done a bunch of work to it and it's about as perfect as it could get. e33c2fe568a852dd58b0b8731b022122.jpg

• Like 3

2nd vote for older Remington

I collect pretty 1990 remember 700s.

Howver, living in long island, there's nothing wrong with a pump shotgun either.

I noticed few of these big woods hunters like any kind of semi auto?  More jamb prone in snow?

Good thing about an old gun, you can adjust the stock to your liking.  A gun that fits you right is gold.  That stock not fiting, the scope too close or too high.  That stuff adds time to put a shot in.  Not only time, but quality of the impact.

2nd vote for older Remington
I collect pretty 1990 remember 700s.
Howver, living in long island, there's nothing wrong with a pump shotgun either.
I noticed few of these big woods hunters like any kind of semi auto?  More jamb prone in snow?
Good thing about an old gun, you can adjust the stock to your liking.  A gun that fits you right is gold.  That stock not fiting, the scope too close or too high.  That stuff adds time to put a shot in.  Not only time, but quality of the impact.

There are a few that carry semi's in the big woods. Most popular would be the Remington 742/740/7400/750. The best big woods hunter I personally know carry's a heavily customized browning bar short trac. It started as a 308 is now a 358 with a 16" barrel and a lightened stock. It has a 1-4 leupold on it. There are still a bunch of Ruger 44 carbines in the woods every year as well.

My pack is always full so I went with a gun as light as I could find and love it.  The 44 Mag in the short barrel model 94 AE fits me perfect.  Easy follow up easy reload and with little kick I am right on target if a second shot is needed.  Open sights make this a great stalking gun where quick target acquisition is required in thick cover.  I can't shoot very far with it but over the years most of my shot are up close and personal with 65 yards being one of my longer shots.  Very consistent never having it jam ever!

if you get a chance to read anything by the benoit family they only track and still hunt and no scopes they're amazing well its no secret that deer bed down during the day yrs ago i was hunting ten mile river in sullivan cty was in a boy scout camp w/ lean toos i walked 3' passed a doe didnt even see her got on a hill where the leantoo was and the sun at my back my shadow cast over her and wow she got up and took off i took a shot but missed she was dead asleep where i hunt in hancock the mountian faces south and we would  find deer sleeping my friends have shot a few like that i mean dead a sleep its about knowing the terranine and hunting with eyes always looking for sign. another time i found some deer scat man the steam was still coming off it i just followed the trail and sure as hell i caught up with a fawn of course i didnt shoot but man did i feel like an indian so cool thats what its about the challenge

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

if you get a chance to read anything by the benoit family they only track and still hunt and no scopes they're amazing well its no secret that deer bed down during the day yrs ago i was hunting ten mile river in sullivan cty was in a boy scout camp w/ lean toos i walked 3' passed a doe didnt even see her got on a hill where the leantoo was and the sun at my back my shadow cast over her and wow she got up and took off i took a shot but missed she was dead asleep where i hunt in hancock the mountian faces south and we would  find deer sleeping my friends have shot a few like that i mean dead a sleep its about knowing the terranine and hunting with eyes always looking for sign. another time i found some deer scat man the steam was still coming off it i just followed the trail and sure as hell i caught up with a fawn of course i didnt shoot but man did i feel like an indian so cool thats what its about the challenge

I'd file a police report . Someone stole your commas and periods ^_^

Just busting on ya

• Like 1

i might use the 3030 lever this year i put 24 out of 25 well in a 6" circle at 50 yrds freehand.the one flyer was on the line.if i can pick up the speed on the second shot i'm in.

Going to hold off on the rem. 7600 until i find an older one two different shops said the same thing about the finish as buckmaster7600 did.

snuck up on a button buck and two rabbits today showing my brother around ,a good spot for him to hunt this season.

• Like 1

Randy hunter,

You need a used 7600.  Go on gunbroker.  Best bet.

If you live in long island or hunt in dutchess county, why not get an autoloader shotgun then.

Buy good lightweight binoculars, good gps, good pack, good boots, and a way to layer clothes.

After that a way to keep warm at night, like a woodstove tent.

Then upgrade the gun.  Maybe add a peep sight to that 30-30.  If I'm wandering far and it's warm, I use a Glenfield model 30 with lyman 66 peep sight and fiber optic front sight.  Good old 150gr corlokts.

If you want a scope, 2nd vote for low power.  I bought several bushnell elite firefly model 3200 in 1.25-4.5x32

thanks i'm taking a trip to Pennsylvania.a gun shop owner told me the rem. 7600 is there unofficial state gun.i use gunbroker to get an idea on prices all the time but never bought any guns from the site.

Edited by rachunter
  • Like 1

thanks i'm taking a trip to Pennsylvania.a gun shop owner told me the rem. 7600 is there unofficial state gun.i use gunbroker to get an idea on prices all the time but never bought any guns from the site.

Good luck in PA, they are mighty fond of their Amish autos but I have found that to keep the prices up. I was in the cabelas in Hamburg a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe the prices they had on their pumps.

Just remember side to side rattle on the slide will go away with rounds in the clip and back and forth rattle isn't a good sign. Stay away from the matte finish and you'll be in good shape. Just be careful they're addicting before you know it you'll have one for every day of the week.

28 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I found a good clean 270 7600 for $430. But I don't know anything about that caliber. 

The 270 is a great deer cartridge.          To many,  it is the perfect deer round...

Basically a 30 06 necked down to .270

• Like 2