Shooting Bench

I'm looking into either building or buying a shooting bench. I have a spot where I could do a somewhat permanent set up but being portable might be good too. I've looked at a bunch of plans on the internet and also several different manufactured benches (Caldwell, Herters). Any recommendations will be welcomed?

I have seen a lot of different ideas for shooting benches, some used folding fiberglass top utility  tables and a chair, picnic tables work can well and then there are the purpose built both home made and factory built dedicated shooting benches.

I do not care much for the portable stuff, it is made to be light for ease of moving which make them prone to movement, prefer something semi permanent solid and heavy. Like you already found out there are plenty of good plans on the internet and if you are handy with woodworking you can find and build something that will suit you.

I built a bench out of treated lumber from plans Outdoor Life gun editor Jim Carmichael came up with a good 20 years ago and it has held up well in my little back lot 100 yard range. Detailed instructions are in a book he wrote called Do It Yourself Gunsmithing which can be bought used on Amazon for just a few bucks. I just refurbished it with a new larger top a couple of years ago and it is still going strong. Build it once right the first time is my motto.

Al

2016-12-30_120950_zps4efuxmva.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I was going to give my new Caldwell dead shot a try today but the winds are gusting wildly and it's been raining for hours...maybe tomorrow. I have an area that I can shoot with the side of the gully as a back drop giving me a clear 100yrds I have Styrofoam blocks I get from tractor supply for free I attach to wooden stakes to hold the shoot and see targets. I bought new ammo I want to try in the 243.

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My friend made a beauty out of unistrut, it's got wheels on the front so you can tip up the back and wheel it forward and backwards from yardage mark to yardage mark. I recommend the wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of wheels .... that probably has me leaning toward making my own. Thanks!

I made mine 10 years ago, it an't moving , no shake and no shimmy.It sits outside year round and has not warped or rotted.

6"x6" pt. legs 2' down in the ground , 2" x 6" pt. for the framing, and top is 2" x 8" pt. , can shoot right side or left side from the bench type seat ,part of the framing, used s.s. deck screws to put together.

• Like 1

A friend of once had the most SOLID benchrest I ever used...He  got a marble measuring table that a local industry was scrapping.  It was great as long as you didn't plan to MOVE it..

He had it on a 300 yard range ( within a 5 minute drive of my house)  and I had permission to use it at any time, whether he was home or not... Unfortunately, he got tired of NY's taxes and gun laws and moved across the border to Pa and sold the place <<sigh>>...

Fortunately my local gun club is only about 5 minutes away also, and they have a very serviceable shooting house/benchrest with a 200 yard + range, and  there is seldom anyone using it except for weekends..

local range is next door.  PT wood bench and something to sit on with a roof over it.  steel gongs out to 300 yards.  otherwise it's a heavy blanket with a tarp under it. gun rests on leather and canvas sand bag or a shorter Caldwell XLA pivoting bipod. never look into building one.  sure it wouldn't be too hard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Sounds like your going the DIY route . I'll post anyway ,I bought this one a couple years ago . So far no issues ,fairly adjustable ,easy to carry,packs away nicely and .....(start the drumroll) it has a cup holder built in!

20170104_085821.png

This is one I looked at just before the Holidays. Herters? ..... can't remember where at the moment. So it's good and sturdy? And a cup holder could be handy:rolleyes:

On 1/3/2017 at 1:08 PM, Steve D said:

Not sure how detailed you want to get but these are cheap, pretty stable, light weight, portable, adjustable, and pretty durable for plinking around the back yard. (Ironing Board)

ironing board.jpg

Not too stable............at all.

57 minutes ago, peepsight said:

This is one I looked at just before the Holidays. Herters? ..... can't remember where at the moment. So it's good and sturdy? And a cup holder could be handy:rolleyes:

The way it folds out has a little bit of free play ,you would never notice it once you are sitting down . As far as a twisting wobble or side to side wobble ,there isnt anything that would make you think the bench isnt a solid unit . Its nice because the seat is adjustable and locks in place ,the muzzle support has a good amount of up and down travel.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pygmy said:

A friend of once had the most SOLID benchrest I ever used...He  got a marble measuring table that a local industry was scrapping.  It was great as long as you didn't plan to MOVE it..

this one is mine, just under 500 lbs (5 80lb bags of concrete and steel frame)

Moves easy with the skid steer.

Just need the right piece of equipment; just sayin'.

IMG_2074.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

this one is mine, just under 500 lbs (5 80lb bags of concrete and steel frame)

Moves easy with the skid steer.

Just need the right piece of equipment; just sayin'.

IMG_2074.jpg

Just happen to have a couple skid steers and one is usually in the vicinity of where my bench will be set up. BTW .... nicely done and love the seat

• 3 months later...
My friend made a beauty out of unistrut, it's got wheels on the front so you can tip up the back and wheel it forward and backwards from yardage mark to yardage mark. I recommend the wheels

Bringing this back up since I got a pic of his bench tonight. 83f0364716a9f2a935a1570d03c3f1fc.jpgbd5be60a76091d290e52778fdb83a477.jpg

• Like 2