Wooden Box for Conibear Trap

the blur

I want to build a wooden box for my Conibear.     Are there blueprints on the internet ?    Something with measurements, so I can just run the wood down the table saw. 

There is a few designs right in the dec book if you have that otherwise just Google what ever your trying to trap with body gripping box or similar lots of plans out there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use 160 traps and tailored the measurements to fit, Just check out the New York State regulations on set back of the trap and finished door width. I make mine with 3 side and slats on the bottom because I trap in bear country and they tip them over and not tend to destroy them as quickly.

If you use 110 traps old plastic mailbox tubes used by newspaper delivery carriers work nicely. Also check you- tube as there are numerous videos to view and good luck..

Image result for trap cubby set dimensions

If you know someone in the restaurant business they have available the big square plastic buckets for mayonnaise/pickles and they can be made to fit the DEC regulations.

Some have white or green buckets...I have become a scrounge when it comes to free materials or bait (roadkill). 

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:53 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Whatcha targeting ?

If coon, they're all denned up for the most part with colder temps. They'll run when temps rise though

Weasel boxes are neat but use legholds 

I thought Raccoon's were holed up too.   But I see them on my cams very often.   This is with no bait.   They are just roaming around at night time.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, Salmon_Run said:

I use 160 traps and tailored the measurements to fit, Just check out the New York State regulations on set back of the trap and finished door width. I make mine with 3 side and slats on the bottom because I trap in bear country and they tip them over and not tend to destroy them as quickly.

If you use 110 traps old plastic mailbox tubes used by newspaper delivery carriers work nicely. Also check you- tube as there are numerous videos to view and good luck..

Image result for trap cubby set dimensions

Have you been successful with the 160?     I heard most guys use 220's with a slightly larger box..

• 2 months later...

I also set the boxes out early and allow them to get weathered and take on the natural smells.

Remember NO bait or traps [laced early. Whats great about these boxes are, I make them during off season with my son and daughters as projects, we scout together, I scrounge most of the materials I use and they are very effective.....

Best of luck out there !!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was trapping a 10 acre parcel in Sullivan.  Just a weekend hobby thing.   Not overly serious about it.   I got 4 Raccoons during the season.    Just got a call from the owner, they are still having Raccoon problems.  Garbage being torn up.  Chickens being eaten.    Sheds being destroyed.    They want all the Raccoons dead.    To which I explained, then they must be disposed of.   Can't keep the fur during the off season.

So they may call an exterminator, or wait until December, which they'll have me back regardless.     I don't know the normal population, but  there seems to be an endless supply of Raccoons where they munch on garbage & chickens.