I Won't Know How to Act With This "Strore Bought" Rifle

OK a little data on the rifle.

CZ 452 American 22lr

Turkish walnut stock

22 1/2" barrel

5.9#

5 round detachable box magazine

2 position striker lock safety

I will be mounting a Weaver Classic V-24 6-24x42 scope with a "Varminter" reticle and adjustable objective lens using Burris 420069 rimfire rings.

Planned modifications;

Pillar bedding using .38" threaded lamp pipe,

Glas bed the action and 3" of the barrel ahead of the receiver, free float the remainder of the barrel

Trigger tuning via "poor man's (CZ 452) trigger mod"

Diversified Innovative Products CNC steel trigger Guard/bottom metal (OEM top, DIP bottom)

DIP%20Trigger%20Guard_zps4leex66t.jpg

Strip gloss blue & rust blue for a satin finish

Over the summer, while riding my bicycle, I stumbled onto an widespread area that looked like excellent squirrel hunting with diversified nut and mast tree species. I returned later via car &  saw several gray squirrels while driving on rural roads in the area. There is a large tract of state land in the area. The rifle will serve double duty as a squirrel sniper rifle and a sporter-weight bench rest rifle.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Have you shot it for groups ??

Being a CZ, it just may shoot bugholes without going to all that effort..

Any CZ I ever had experience with ( including a 9.3 x 62 ) was SCARY accurate right out of the box...

I agree pygmy.  I think they are a good deal for the money.   Had a 30-06 premium I should have kept. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

Have you shot it for groups ??

Being a CZ, it just may shoot bugholes without going to all that effort..

Any CZ I ever had experience with ( including a 9.3 x 62 ) was SCARY accurate right out of the box...

54 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Have the same gun.  Shoots lights out from the box.  Nice pick up!  Enjoy.  

Well, I'm hankerin' to get into the monthly 100yd Benchrest Challenge over on Rimfire Central Forums & that takes some serious shooting. The trigger is about right for poundage at 3#, but there's about 9 yards of creep so I'll be doing some tuning. The poor man's trigger job just consists of an Ace  Hardware #144 spring and some shim epoxied under the sear. The pillar and gals bedding won't be all that big of a deal. The 452 is supposed to respond well to that. The barrel channel has some issues as it is and need a bit of attention.

I just picked it up today & won't be getting the glass mounted until the end of the month for $$$$ considerations.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wildcat junkie said:

OK a little data on the rifle.

CZ 452 American 22lr

Turkish walnut stock

22 1/2" barrel

5.9#

5 round detachable box magazine

2 position striker lock safety

I will be mounting a Weaver Classic V-24 6-24x42 scope with a "Varminter" reticle and adjustable objective lens using Burris 420069 rimfire rings.

Planned modifications;

Pillar bedding using .38" threaded lamp pipe,

Glas bed the action and 3" of the barrel ahead of the receiver, free float the remainder of the barrel

Trigger tuning via "poor man's (CZ 452) trigger mod"

Diversified Innovative Products CNC steel trigger Guard/bottom metal (OEM top, DIP bottom)

DIP%20Trigger%20Guard_zps4leex66t.jpg

Strip gloss blue & rust blue for a satin finish

Over the summer, while riding my bicycle, I stumbled onto an widespread area that looked like excellent squirrel hunting with diversified nut and mast tree species. I returned later via car &  saw several gray squirrels while driving on rural roads in the area. There is a large tract of state land in the area. The rifle will serve double duty as a squirrel sniper rifle and a sporter-weight bench rest rifle.

I have the 527 in .222 and the trigger is adjustable several ways. You can take out the pre travel, total trigger travel, and weight. Mine is setup light and breaks like a glass rod after I adjusted it. I was thinking to myself the other day how crappy the trigger was now words literally cannot explain how nice this trigger is. I did not modify the trigger itself at all just adjusted it using the factory set screws. Here you can see the set screws I was referring to. I'm not sure if the 427 has the same ones. One thing I do not like about my gun is the bolt handle angle, makes it tough to mount a scope with larger eye piece assembly.

CZ-Model-527-Bolt-576x384.1421388728.jpg

Edited by chas0218

55 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

I have the 527 in .222 and the trigger is adjustable several ways. 

The rimfire trigger is a whole different animal....

I own several 452's all in 22lr.

Did the yo-dave kit in one, its OK. Found 2 Timneys cheap on line and installed both of those and I happen to like them as I hunt all my guns and the triggers down in the ounces like the bench rest guys have don't interest me when wearing gloves.

2 like CCI SV one likes Aguila ammo. Interesting that none like the Wolf match that is often touted on RF Central for CZ's.

Most accurate is the full stock, which is another fluke that is often noted on RF Central by CZ owners.

Have DiP bottom metal too;<)

Scope on the Trainer and American, ghost ring for the FS. Burris Signature with the inserts.

FS with the DIP trigger guard and 527 metal end cap fitted ghost ring replacement rear sight blade

Trainer with 1.5-5x20 in Burris rings (swapped out new DIP in that too)

Both of these have the timneys.

I'd add that I have a bunch of the metal 5 shot magazines; but the plastic are lighter and don't clank around when you have a pocket full. Not sure they are worth the money. Have one 10 shot that looks goofy when inserted. JMO

IMG_0319.jpg

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

I have the 527 in .222 and the trigger is adjustable several ways. You can take out the pre travel, total trigger travel, and weight. Mine is setup light and breaks like a glass rod after I adjusted it. I was thinking to myself the other day how crappy the trigger was now words literally cannot explain how nice this trigger is. I did not modify the trigger itself at all just adjusted it using the factory set screws. Here you can see the set screws I was referring to. I'm not sure if the 427 has the same ones. One thing I do not like about my gun is the bolt handle angle, makes it tough to mount a scope with larger eye piece assembly.

CZ-Model-527-Bolt-576x384.1421388728.jpg

23 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

The rimfire trigger is a whole different animal....

I own several 452's all in 22lr.

Did the yo-dave kit in one, its OK. Found 2 Timneys cheap on line and installed both of those and I happen to like them as I hunt all my guns and the triggers down in the ounces like the bench rest guys have don't interest me when wearing gloves.

2 like CCI SV one likes Aguila ammo. Interesting that none like the Wolf match that is often touted on RF Central for CZ's.

Most accurate is the full stock, which is another fluke that is often noted on RF Central by CZ owners.

Have DiP bottom metal too;<)

Scope on the Trainer and American, ghost ring for the FS. Burris Signature with the inserts.

There is a mod called "The Poor Man's Trigger Mod". It entails a #144 spring from Ace hardwrae and trying various shims under the sear to reduce sear engagement.

I took the 452 apart to check out the trigger for the poor man's mod. My feeler gauges were too wide to get a precise measurement, but by using a corner, I got about .010" clearance with the striker down. I have some .005" brass sheet and some Stay Brite silver solder that melts @ 400*F so I'll go that route. I slide some.005" shim under the sear and the trigger had no perceptible creep. If there is too little sear engagement, I can slide a one sided jeweler's file in and reduce the brass thickness some if needed.

While I had it apart, I did some tests on concealed surfaces to check out the bluing. The Huglu (Turkish) made CZ double barrel shotguns have black chrome instead of oxide bluing. I was pretty sure the 452 had oxide blue but wanted to make sure. I used a swab to dab a bit of "Rust and Blue Remover" and it did remove the bluing.

DSC05254_zpsmjqtahe0.jpg

That will leave me the option of doing a rust blue to match the Weaver Classic V-24 scope if I decide to..

I tried to get some better pictures this morning but I still didn't have the right lighting. I had to use flash and there's some glare. I mounted the Leupold VX-II from my 5mm CF. The Leupold rimfire rings from the early '70s seemed to fit just fine and the screw slots on the clamps even ended up being "clocked" fairly close to 12:00 like they were on the 591M receiver.

DSC05249_zpsrstdrjiu.jpg

DSC05250_zpscujwrwyu.jpg

DSC05252_zps3vyuwize.jpg

DSC05253_zps7ktdawv4.jpg

I think she might be a "keeper" so I'll take her home to meet my parents.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

FS with the DIP trigger guard and 527 metal end cap fitted ghost ring replacement rear sight blade

Trainer with 1.5-5x20 in Burris rings (swapped out new DIP in that too)

Both of these have the timneys.

I'd add that I have a bunch of the metal 5 shot magazines; but the plastic are lighter and don't clank around when you have a pocket full. Not sure they are worth the money. Have one 10 shot that looks goofy when inserted. JMO

IMG_0319.jpg

Mine came with the metal magazine. The 10 round magazine definitely spoils the appearance. i don't anticipate having to ward off a herd of carnivorous gray squirrels so I think 5 rounds will suffice.

"There is a mod called "The Poor Man's Trigger Mod". It entails a #144 spring from Ace hardwrae and trying various shims under the sear to reduce sear engagement."

Yep, I'm familiar with poor mans mod. Yo- dave was basically the same thing, I even think the included spring was the Ace one. Uses some plastic tubing to take up slack around one of the pins in trigger group.

I like 10 shot groups and have that bigger mag just so I don't have to swap them out for a string. But ya' don't hunt it either.......

• 4 months later...

1st time to the range.

DSC05473_zpswxgojy4n.jpg

CZ 452 American. WILDCAT JUNKIE TRIGGER MOD, (8 oz pull) Weaver Classic V-24 Burris Signature Rings with JPI Adapters, CCI 22lr SV

50yds off sandbags.

Top right group 5 shots .425" C-C. (.255" without the flyer)

DSC05475_zpsfovklhjz.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

I have never seen a CZ that wasn't a shooter.....My CZ 550 American shoots sub MOA groups with 250 grain  Barnes  TSX bullets ( 9.3 x 62)...Friends of mine have CZs in .22LR, 17 HMR, 6.5x55 and .308, and they all are sub MOA...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That ought to be bad medicine on a bushy tail this fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bushy tail....Hmmmmm...Reminds me of one of my old girlfriends......<<SMILE>>........

• Like 1

Now I have a problem. I want to get them all into one ragged hole.

I have THIS IN MY E-BAY CART waiting for my check at the end of the month.

RF Central has a CZ 100yd BENCHREST CHALLENGE every month and there's a sporter class.

Edited by wildcat junkie