Pistol Recertification

nyantler

Gizmo, did you get some sort of notification(mail, phone call, email) that you had to do this? If so whom did it come from? Just curious as my Dad turns 80 this year and said he didn't want to recertify ( he no longer owns any pistols) but I told him do it anyways. 

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When hasn't there been a fee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true but Like I said, I'm not surprised. More curious as to what the fees collected will be used for. We will never know I'm sure.

13 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

So what is this whole recertification thing? I never heard about this. Westchester exempt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems it is... from the website:

"This system does not process recertifications for New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County or Westchester County permits. If you currently have a New York City, Nassau County, Suffolk County or Westchester County permit, you must follow the requirements that are in place in your county, rather than use this recertification system."

Guess those counties are so far up Albany's backside, that it is felt they can ream us much better at a local level than they can with an Albany mandate.

Edited by jrm

10 hours ago, Zem18 said:
11 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I just got my renewal form in the mail. Sent my $10 check in and that's it.

Sent from my iPhone 

Didn't even know there was a fee but I'm not surprised. What is the money going towards?

I just bought another pistol and when I got my voucher they said there isn't a fee unless you have changed your address or something on it has changed. This is in Steuben county. Also if you don't recert. by the 18th of Janurary 2018 it will be considered surrendered and will need to reapply. Not sure if you will be charged the whole fingerprinting and fed background check thing or not but that is the way they made it sound. I would highly recommend you recert. before the deadline and double check with your county if there is a fee. Mine is $5 if I need to change my address, and you don't have to live in the county of issuance.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zem18 said:

Biz was talking about a renewal fee and I was asking about a recertification fee so we were talking about different things I believe but Thanks for the info. Now to convince my Dad to just recertify.

My dad lives in Wayne county and went to buy a pistol and the permit office told him he needed to get re-certified before they would forward his amendment to the judge. Took about 2 months for the Judge to sign everything and let him pick up his pistol. I have been trying to convince him to change counties but he doesn't want to hear anything about it. Heck even Monroe county has the vouchers that would allow you to buy a gun and pick it up the same day. My dad has to wait about a month until the judge signs off and gets his voucher in the mail.

Here is a link to the NYS Safe Act concerning re-certification. 

https://safeact.ny.gov/pistol-permit-recertification

Here is why it is important to recert.

Failure to  recertify  shall  act  as  a
  revocation  of  such license. If the New York state police discover as a
  result of the recertification process that a licensee failed to  provide
  a  change  of  address,  the New York state police shall not require the
  licensing officer to revoke such license.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article400.htm

Edited by chas0218

Every county in NY is different on how they issue permits, some have the recertification and some did not. Now the ones that did not now have to go on the trooper data base and fill in your info. As of now there is no fee, I did mine last night and you have to enter make model serial# and caliber of every pistol u have. I have 6 and I was bitchen the whole time can't imagine guys that have 20 or more .i had my wife double check all my info because of course there's , I here by decree all info is correct or I will be arrested crap. So take your time guys .

23 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am not sending mine in until the very last minute. I would suggest that everyone do the same. Just one last finger in the eye to them for the whole Un Safe Act. 

Yup, The worse part is now all the guns will be documented electronically so when/if you are pulled over your guns and corresponding info will come up and could give them a reason to search your vehicle if within the limits of NYC. I would rather overwhelm the system and do it Jan 17th 2018, and hope their system crashes and looses everything putting back at square 1.