Pistol Recertification

nyantler

43 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Mine still reads date of issue in 2009 as well. But I had to re new my permit in March of 2014 to go pick my handgun up at the shop.
But it does read 2009 still.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

apples and oranges. That was a county thing and nothing to do with the Safe act re-certification process.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:33 AM, turkeyfeathers said:

Q: I was originally issued a pistol / revolver license years ago but have recently transferred to another county. When completing my recertification, which issue date should I enter?

A: The issue date entered should be the date (or approximate date if unknown) that you were originally issued a pistol / revolver license, not the date that you transferred or amended your license

glad you pointed that out because I was thinking mine was fresh from my address change and actually I'm 4 years in...

11 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Just saw Saratoga county refuses to follow safe act recert. Clause.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Where did you see this and what exactly does that mean. I am in Saratoga County. Zurlo has been an excellent Sheriff as far as the Safe act is concerned....

24 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Where did you see this and what exactly does that mean. I am in Saratoga County. Zurlo has been an excellent Sheriff as far as the Safe act is concerned....

the re certification has nothing to do with County level issues or compliance 

• Like 1

I know you guys want to get this over with and out of the way. But I have heard that you shouldn't do it until Jan of 2018 and do the paper copy when you do it!! If everybody that has to do it and does a paper copy at the last minute they will never do it again!! Think of all the letters they would receive at once. It would over load them!!  Just a thought.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chas0218 said:

2 days ago, they held a press conference about it. Not sure I would just take their word on it but it sounds like the Police are tired of the bull crap.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/capital-region/news/2017/01/6/saratoga-county-officials-take-stand-against-new-safe-act-provision.html

I think Zurlo is basically just letting people know the law is BS which he does at every turn and I am thankful for that. My guess is that the state is worried about Counties not complying when the time comes to turn in our handguns whether that time is 5 years from now or 50 years from now....

10 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

I know you guys want to get this over with and out of the way. But I have heard that you shouldn't do it until Jan of 2018 and do the paper copy when you do it!! If everybody that has to do it and does a paper copy at the last minute they will never do it again!! Think of all the letters they would receive at once. It would over load them!!  Just a thought.

I am waiting till the last minute in the hopes all this BS is overturned....

59 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I am waiting till the last minute in the hopes all this BS is overturned....

I wouldn't wait until the very last minute as to not run the risk of being non compliant.  Maybe late October or November would be a better choice.

i as a permit holder and someone who very much hates NY gun laws am going to do this.... without question wait until January 2018 to renew.  before then i'm going to go to the state police website (because it has nothing to do with the county clerks office) and print multiple copies of the paper forms ahead of time.  by nature everyone will wait anyway, bum rush the site, and then the site will crash.  i then wouldn't otherwise have the forms as a backup, and i'll have put myself in a pickle.  i hope their IT department and admin paper pushers have coffee and a stress ball at the ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

i as a permit holder and someone who very much hates NY gun laws am going to do this.... without question wait until January 2018 to renew.  before then i'm going to go to the state police website (because it has nothing to do with the county clerks office) and print multiple copies of the paper forms ahead of time.  by nature everyone will wait anyway, bum rush the site, and then the site will crash.  i then wouldn't otherwise have the forms as a backup, and i'll have put myself in a pickle.  i hope their IT department and admin paper pushers have coffee and a stress ball at the ready.

lets see if we can get an admin to sticky the form here. I am going to send mine certified mail to assure it will get there, but no way I am sending it early. I'd rather spend the cash to send it certified and do it last minute. This wouldn't be a one time thing either. If we got a ton of permit holders on board, they would be a barrage every 5 years 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:27 PM, Zem18 said:

Gizmo, did you get some sort of notification(mail, phone call, email) that you had to do this? If so whom did it come from? Just curious as my Dad turns 80 this year and said he didn't want to recertify ( he no longer owns any pistols) but I told him do it anyways. 

I saw it online and figured I would get it over with. Just another waste of time that you have to do. Cuomo is a POS and I wish he would get voted outta here..  He probably will be prosecuted for wrong dealings in hi billion dollar business investments . { Hopefully}

I make my living in the world of regulations and laws. the only caution I'd have with mailing the info is proof. Even a certified mail receipt is not proof believe it or not. So the intentional act of making a mess is a great idea, but when things get messy, things get lost.

I imagine (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), doing it online provides some level of confirmation?

I'd hate to see someone lose their permit because something was misfiled, misspelled etc. just a word of caution and nothing more.

44 minutes ago, Belo said:

I make my living in the world of regulations and laws. the only caution I'd have with mailing the info is proof. Even a certified mail receipt is not proof believe it or not. So the intentional act of making a mess is a great idea, but when things get messy, things get lost.

I imagine (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), doing it online provides some level of confirmation?

I'd hate to see someone lose their permit because something was misfiled, misspelled etc. just a word of caution and nothing more.

The do reply with email notifications that they received with a number for verification 

• 6 months later...
37 minutes ago, Belo said:

the cc topic reminded me about this. did we ever figure out exactly what the deal was? 

every 5 years after the date your permit was issued.  should say it right on it.  if not call your county pistol clerk.  in your case, you don't have to re-certify until that November, versus sooner by the end of January.

....i'd still be an overachiever and send it in late January though.

Edited by dbHunterNY