Hunting big water on a boat

Paratrooper395

not sure what your rig is or where you are thinking of hunting or even what birds you are hunting.

if you are looking at great lakes or finger lakes open water hunting you have to be aware of the dangers of late season duck hunting.   It blows my mind what I witness people doing every single year, from under sized/over loaded boats to just total lack of respect for the water. but that is all for a different thread.

for open water gunning, yes it can be done, its not easy and it requires some thought while doing it.

you need a blind on the boat, doesn't have to be too elaborate but its gotta hide you and should at least somewhat bend in.   if your talking gunning big water along shore while you still need a blind its easier to tuck the boat into some kind of background or white the boat if your on a ice line.

basically you would be gunning divers, in all honesty you are not going to shoot many puddle ducks rigging out in open water, not saying you cant do it but while you may get a few shots at them generally they wont come near a boat out in the open water. 

depending on water depths you can either anchor your longlines and boat or what some do is drift hunt where they longline off the back of the boat and drift with the rig behind them.  either way can be successful as long as the birds are working the area.  rig with what birds are there whether its bluebills, red heads, old squaws etc.

if we are hunting big water we always have at least a back up motor on or in the boat, or we have 2 boats.  lets face it when they build these outboards they were never really designed to be running when the temps are reaching 0 degrees.  do they do it, yes, but its only a motor, things happen all the time. when it dips under 30 you need to leave the lower unit submerged or you take the chance of freezing up the water pump, if it freezes and you drop the lower unit down and immediately fire up the motor while the impeller is still frozen to the housing you have likely just smoked the impeller. 

its late season, there are very few people around if you get in trouble, time is not on your side so if you do get in trouble you could be in real danger before help arrives. I know we have all done some not too smart things but with age comes wisdom. I know I used to think I was bullet proof and those things happened to other people but i have realized we are all the other people. I am all done taking chances,,, for what a duck? my lifes worth more than a duck and there will be other days or other seasons, let alone I wont be putting the rescuers lives and their families lives at risk when they have to come save us from our own stupidity.

generally when we hunt big water with 2 boats we have the blind boat set up on the decoys and use the second boat as a tender boat,  the tender boat never gets shut off, it may set there for an hour idling then we run out and pick up dead birds or chase cripples. we swap out hunters but 1 boat is always running.  safety is ALWAYS priority #1

good luck and be safe.

In my opinion it's a pain in the a** . I had a 17ft boat all decked out in full camouflage and blind. I always struggled with keeping the boat still and playing the current and playing the wind. Then when we did shoot birds, had to pull the anchor drop the blind and retrieved down birds. It sucked, now I'm sure there are easier ways but I got frustrated. In my opinion you need a 18 to 20ft boat as a tender and a layout boat with 2 gunners. 

a real shame and happens far too many times every year.

people just have no respect for water for some reason, water is one of the most if not the most powerful and destructive substances on the planet in any form whether its liquid, ice or steam.  people also have no comprehension of the seaworthiness of their boat, they think it wont sink or flip over. 

while the right 17 foot boat should handle 2-3 footers it all depends on the boat style,  a 17' deep V will take a sea much better than a 17' flat bottom or semi V.  most of the jon style boats out there are basically farm pond boats, they just do not have the stability nor freeboard needed for anything more than a 1 foot chop.

I have no idea what the wave conditions were like in this instance, chances are if there was a small craft advisory the conditions were far from flat sea's.  I can say that most cases like this are a direct result of undersized /over weighted boats in rough water.  3 young guys and all their hunting gear, decoys, weights, gas tank etc. in a 17' flat bottom boat was probably lucky to have 6" of freeboard left unless it was one of the higher end flat bottom boats with higher freeboard sides. 

boats flip, boats sink, motors quit, motors freeze up,  duck hunting whether its early season or late season is not something to take lightly.  There is not a duck flying worth loosing your life over. small boats are for small waters and most times are best if left there. You have got to know and respect your equipment's limitations!

good luck and more importantly be safe out there.

• Like 3

Had a 19ft deep v sylvan and hunted Ontario primary. Some bays and some lake- long line dekes. Tons of fun. Tons of work and chit will go wrong- bank on it. The crazier it is to be out there; the better the hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk