Input on a father son hunt needed

Fletch

I am looking to take my son, who will be 15 next fall, on a whitetail hunt with possibly hog option as well. I would need to be a drive to trip, a hate flying with all the extra gear, guns, and coolers......

We have driven to Georgia to hunt and will probably be doing that for a gator hunt this year sometime from August to October. So would build off that trip if possible and down that far. Or Ohio, Indiana, Virginia, Kentucky.....

Not looking for a trophy hunt and needs to be fair chase no fenced farms. My brother will probably go as well. Just realistically want to see a lot of game and take some does for sure and chance at some bucks. Looking for a place with lodge and meals preferably and stands. It would most likely be a 3-5 day hunt. It does not need to be 5 star but clean and well run.

Money wise I would like to not break the bank. I also know some places give youth package discounts which would be super.

This one would be super an advetises in the NY Outdoor News but gets an F rating on tyhe BBB.

http://southcarolinatrophyhunters.com/index.html

That would be the ticket if it was actually what they said it is.

http://www.bushycreekwhitetails.com/about/

Here is another but can't find any info on the quality.

Any input or sugestions would be cool.

The New York Sportsman Expo coming up in Syracuse at the fairgrounds may be worth checking out. There are always plenty of outfitters from all around the country offering-booking hunts for all kinds of game and you can speak to them directly.

Al

http://www.newyorksportsmansexpo.com/

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I would think....and that's just my way of thinking...A really good, reputable outfitter, wouldn't have a need to use up their time and cash going to outdoor expos...They would have their place(s) filled with word of mouth and return customers.

Depends on the show. SCI in Vegas or the big Dallas or the Sheep Shows, etc all have the top Outfitters from around the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I agree grow. The one in Syracuse I have not seen too many outfitters I would be interested in. Maybe a couple fishing ones outa Canada.

The Show in Harrisburg is the biggest on the East so maybe better ones. I think I would only book that way is if it was one I already picked and was just going to meet in person. Much research to do when spending thousands.

Another point is I don't want world class cost Biz!! lol

There is a site Talkhunting.com... It is one with hunters from all over the country but, mainly in the south...personally I'd start going to these and state sites to find out what the locals are saying about outfitters in their area...If you have a particular state with particular regulations you are looking for It maybe your best time spent...most hunters from the south I have talked to  over the years have been great guys. They also have a real thing about youth getting involved.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Thanks for the leads guys. Jeremy any info on some better ones you found?

Keep em coming.

Thanks,

I wouldn't be able to remember any names now . It was just an Internet search and writing down numbers and seeing what they offered for the price.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fletch said:

I will be hitting the show, I may also hit the Big one in Harrisburg since I'll be down there for work. The problem is there you don't get to research and review if they have a good sign up now deal!

Sure you can, just make a list and do some poking around now.

Another hint: you can almost always cut a deal by dropping some cash at a show right there on the spot even if there is not a "show special".

6 hours ago, growalot said:

I would think....and that's just my way of thinking...A really good, reputable outfitter, wouldn't have a need to use up their time and cash going to outdoor expos...They would have their place(s) filled with word of mouth and return customers.

Some outfitters will use a few agents to get some spots filled. However I have never met an outfitter that didn't need some sort of sales approach beyond just sitting back and hope camp got filled. Many who skip the show circuit do reflect that in their pricing however, so it can be to a potential hunters benefit to poke around some for good guys who may be flying under the radar.

For plenty of folks it can be that one trip of a lifetime, and they may not get a repeat customer. I have done a fair amount of trips, and used some fishing guys each a couple times and one hunting place as a repeat, but nothing else; there's maybe a handful I would go back no questions asked. Others I would be a reference, and a few I would be so-so.

Important aspect of word of mouth referrals is to make sure your expectations match who you are talking with. I have done one hunt where in the end what I had in mind and what the guy I talked too thinks is a great time didn't match well. I no longer book hunts that way. I may get a lead like that, but I do all my own in depth research to make sure its what I want before dropping the coin. 

Can't tell you how many hunters I have met that had a lousy trip, and really its their own fault for not getting first hand knowledge of all the who, what, where, when, why, and how's.

When booking I typically have a few places in mind and have used the shows to finalize details and hand over deposits (I pay and negotiate every thing in cash).Great way to size up who you are talking too, and I often don't let them know who I am until after we talk for a spell.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2017 at 9:49 AM, Fletch said:

Thanks for the leads guys. Jeremy any info on some better ones you found?

Keep em coming.

Thanks,

I'm going to Whitetail Crossing in Springfield,KY end of October. They run a top notch camp and it's actually not a terrible drive from Long Island

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:57 PM, bruno1 said:

I'm going to Whitetail Crossing in Springfield,KY end of October. They run a top notch camp and it's actually not a terrible drive from Long Island

Bruno - How did you make out there this year? I was very close to booking them for a hunt this year, but instead spent the $ on buying a compound. I am really contemplating booking a hunt there for 2018. I follow them on instagram and it looks like guys took a lot of nice bucks in 2017.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 11:15 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Bruno - How did you make out there this year? I was very close to booking them for a hunt this year, but instead spent the $ on buying a compound. I am really contemplating booking a hunt there for 2018. I follow them on instagram and it looks like guys took a lot of nice bucks in 2017.

Hey sorry for the late response, as a guide myself don't get much time to get on the computer. Trip was great. Definitely no shortage of deer out there. The three of us in my group had opportunities to harvest a shooter but opted to hold out for something bigger. We put our own standards on, we were looking for a 150 or better. Plenty of 130 class deer to choose from. The gun hunters that came after us really put some big bucks down. I may try for a September velvet hunt next year but if not I'll do another pre rut hunt. I may go to Ohio next year but it's hard for me to turn down that Kentucky trip.

• Like 1

Hey sorry for the late response, as a guide myself don't get much time to get on the computer. Trip was great. Definitely no shortage of deer out there. The three of us in my group had opportunities to harvest a shooter but opted to hold out for something bigger. We put our own standards on, we were looking for a 150 or better. Plenty of 130 class deer to choose from. The gun hunters that came after us really put some big bucks down. I may try for a September velvet hunt next year but if not I'll do another pre rut hunt. I may go to Ohio next year but it's hard for me to turn down that Kentucky trip.

Thx. I may go with xbow in early Oct

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a 220 acre farm in southeastern pa with a 5 bed 3 bath house. It is a hunting paradise ,almost impossible not to see deer. I already have 2 small groups from new york that have been coming for a couple of years with continued success. I am looking for 1 or 2 groups of 3 to 5 people for semi guided fair chase hunts. Food plots,farm fields,and hardwood timbers all around. 6years trail cam photos, and elevated hunting blinds.

If you have any interest, please contact me by emailing your phone number to [email protected].

I have a 220 acre farm in southeastern pa with a 5 bed 3 bath house. It is a hunting paradise ,almost impossible not to see deer. I already have 2 small groups from new york that have been coming for a couple of years with continued success. I am looking for 1 or 2 groups of 3 to 5 people for semi guided fair chase hunts. Food plots,farm fields,and hardwood timbers all around. 6years trail cam photos, and elevated hunting blinds.
If you have any interest, please contact me by emailing your phone number to [email protected].

What’s the price?