2017 Crossbow Bills have just been filed

tughillmcd

The 2017 Legislative Session began this past Wednesday, January 4th. We just received information that "Same-As" Crossbow Bills have been submitted into the Senate and Assembly and were referred to their respective Environmental Conservation Committees awaiting action.

The 2017 Bill numbers are Senate Bill S1386 (Gallivan) and  Assembly Bill Number A479 (Gunther).

These new bills are the same ones that were submitted in 2016, only with new numbers for 2017.

Stay Tuned. More info coming soon.

http://conta.cc/2iWAA5C

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cory said:

When can we expect these bills to hit the floor for vote? Or will the assembly not have time to vote on this again due to there summer vacation.

Nothing is going to happen unless people that want this to happen help us by contacting their legislators and the Environmental Conservation Committee Chairman requesting they support this.

To find you legislators, go to the following email address, www.elections.ny.gov/district-map/district-map.html#/? and enter your address.

Environmental Conservation Committee Chairman are

Assemblyman Steve Englebright    [email protected]
Senator Thomas O'Mara     [email protected]

Send a letter to them and your senator and Assemblymember and ask they support the appropriate bill.

A recent poll, in the bowhunting section on this site, showed that bowhunters support full inclusion of the crossbow by at least a 2:1 margin.   This is a pretty good place to rally some more support.   It sure would make it easier to fill DMP tags and give the DEC a better handle on the deer herd here in North-West NY.  Most of the antlerless deer around here have gone fully nocturnal by the last two weeks of archery when the crossbow has been legal over the last three seasons.   That has kept the collision shops very busy.                 

I did this last year. Doesn't seem like it made a difference. You can send all the emails, make phone calls, write actual letters, join a circus and jump through flaming hoops. It doesn't matter! If the anti hunting politicians say no, it's a no.

Also, I really want to start focusing on a repeal to the Safe Act, I want a real grip on my M&P! Sorry, to me, that's more important these days.

• Like 1

A recent poll, in the bowhunting section on this site, showed that bowhunters support full inclusion of the crossbow by at least a 2:1 margin.   This is a pretty good place to rally some more support.   It sure would make it easier to fill DMP tags and give the DEC a better handle on the deer herd here in North-West NY.  Most of the antlerless deer around here have gone fully nocturnal by the last two weeks of archery when the crossbow has been legal over the last three seasons.   That has kept the collision shops very busy.                 

Any speculation on the harvest increase (numbers)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there will be a huge increase the first year of full inclusion, since many will not believe it until they see it and put off the purchase of a crossbow.   By the second year, the archery take of antlerless deer will probably get close to the gun take, much as it has in Ohio.   There is no need to speculate given all the data that exists from other states which have full inclusion.     

I don't think there will be a huge increase the first year of full inclusion, since many will not believe it until they see it and put off the purchase of a crossbow.   By the second year, the archery take of antlerless deer will probably get close to the gun take, much as it has in Ohio.   There is no need to speculate given all the data that exists from other states which have full inclusion.     

Ohio has 10 days of gun and almost 5 months of archery I don't think you can compare it to NY when we have a nearly 1-1 ration of bow to gun day and a 1-4 bow to gun day ratio in NZ.

That being said I'm hoping for full inclusion. It will make it much easier for me to dump this cumbersome 1500$ paper weight I bought last summer.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It sure would make it easier to fill DMP tags and give the DEC a better handle on the deer herd here in North-West NY.  Most of the antlerless deer around here have gone fully nocturnal by the last two weeks of archery when the crossbow has been legal over the last three seasons.   That has kept the collision shops very busy.                 

Wait crossbows are easier?  All I've ever been told is that it's the same or harder. Are you proposing doe only crossbow?

• Like 2

It would be a lot easier for me but the trouble is, I have never has an antlerless deer in range while I was armed with a crossbow.   I am 2/2 on bucks with the crossbow. I never struggled much with them with my vertical either but killing bucks does little to control the burgeoning population. It is easy to wait for that single set of eyes on a buck to get behind a tree while making the draw.   The antlerless deer are always in groups around here, which makes making that draw a lot tougher.   The crossbow eliminates that "draw" issue.   You can's shoot what you can't see however, and the antlerless deer have gone almost totally nocturnal around here, over the last three years, by the time crossbow opened up.   I have no doubt that I could turn the tables if I could get at them with the crossbow starting October 1st.   It has been painful watching the herds feeding out on the clover for the 1st few weeks of October over the last several years, and then dissappear by day a few weeks before crossbow opens.    They are out again now, with nothing but auto's and coyotes to fear.   

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It would be a lot easier for me but the trouble is, I have never has an antlerless deer in range while I was armed with a crossbow.   I am 2/2 on bucks with the crossbow. I never struggled much with them with my vertical either but killing bucks does little to control the burgeoning population. It is easy to wait for that single set of eyes on a buck to get behind a tree while making the draw.   The antlerless deer are always in groups around here, which makes making that draw a lot tougher.   The crossbow eliminates that "draw" issue.   You can's shoot what you can't see however, and the antlerless deer have gone almost totally nocturnal around here, over the last three years, by the time crossbow opened up.   I have no doubt that I could turn the tables if I could get at them with the crossbow starting October 1st.   It has been painful watching the herds feeding out on the clover for the 1st few weeks of October over the last several years, and then dissappear by day a few weeks before crossbow opens.    They are out again now, with nothing but auto's and coyotes to fear.   

I'm not sure where you are hunting but I hunt some pressured areas of private land and the deer don't go nocturnal they change feeding behavior and time schedules as the season progress which means you have to change yours to see deer...

Edited by Bowshotmuzzleloader
Big fingers little keyboard

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, growalot said:

So with Cuomo's new outdoors initiative, including expanding archery classes in schools( NYODN)  including recurve and compounds but crossbows as well, think the bill will pass this time around?

We have seen in the past, that when King Andy wants something passed, it gets passed. Even in the dead of night behind closed doors, if need be. He is trying very hard to balance the safe act with "appearing" to care about the millions of sportsmen in this state. I don't buy it. Just more political posturing, in my opinion. But if he wants to pass full inclusion, fine, I'll accept that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2017 at 6:38 PM, tughillmcd said:

The 2017 Bill numbers are Senate Bill S1386 (Gallivan) and  Assembly Bill Number A479 (Gunther).

The crossbow legislation that was tacked on to the new budget got removed. Now you're in this dreaded cycle of trying to get these companion bills out of the black hole Environmental sub-committees, again! If history repeats itself for the 3X time, these bills will sit in the sub-committees until the last couple weeks of current leg session (1st 1/2 of June). When they will be ignored and never see the light of day! As bizarre as it is, it will take a huge letter, email or phone call campaign by the majority that are in favor of these bills to overcome the minority "squeaky wheel" lobbyist! Government workings at its' best (sarcasm!). Looks like another banner year for our elected officials regarding unproductivity, in-fighting and their childish pouting over their vetoed pay raises. Confused as to why the implementation of Xbows isn't handled like the county referendums were for rifle inclusion in the regular season on a county level...?

Anyways... Here we go again. Need to start contacting your legislator, IMO esp the sponsor & co-sponsors of each bill with your yea or nay input. Which hopefully appear in the linked text I quoted above.

Edited by nyslowhand

On 2/10/2017 at 9:41 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Hope so. Full inclusion would save me $1500+ on a compound, accessories, arrows, etc.

I spent under $400 when I bought my compound a couple years ago and I'm a better shot than most of the guys at the range with their pricey gear because they don't practice much. IMO people badly overspend on equipment they don't need; a deer doesn't really care if it's hit with a $5 arrow or a $30 arrow.

As for the views on bowhunters who "voted 2:1 for full inclusion", I wonder what gun hunters want.

Full inclusion will absolutely impact the harvesting rate of deer before gun season starts and as such negatively impact gun hunters accordingly. The state knows this of course which is why it has been hesitant so far for full inclusion. To be honest I can't believe gun-only guys aren't making a huge fuss about this.

This may very well have further repercussions, like now you can only take one buck all season, period, by any means. If via reality or merely by perception gun hunters start increasingly thinking that they are getting table scraps they will go to the DEC and demand changes. And they are the biggest group of deer hunters. Count on it!