2017 Crossbow Bills have just been filed

tughillmcd

If there are any gun-only hunters opposed to full-inclusion, they don't seem to be very vocal or politically organized.  I don't remember seeing a single post on here or anywhere else from them, expressing that view.    In my opinion, all of the credit for stopping this (or at least slowing it down) should go to that small minority of bowhunters, who have once again managed to hold the line.  

I am very thankful for the two "peak rut" weeks we do have with the crossbow in the southern zone, and for those extra 3 days a month earlier up in the northern zone, prior to ML season up there.   Full inclusion would have made it much easier for me to fill DMP tags in the southern zone, but there are some benefits of having the deer population around home (WMU 9F & 9A) way above optimum.  It forces me to be careful while driving, but makes it relatively easy to keep our freezer topped off with deer meat.  There is always plenty of road-kill to go around from less fortunate drivers, most of whom don't want the meat.  

I am also thankful that I won't have to dump a grand or more into a more powerful crossbow.  My three year old, $250 entry-level model is just fine for 17 days we are currently allotted, only (4) of which I will likely hunt.  I think I will spend some of that cash on a new .22 squirrel rifle for my daughter, and spend some of that "off-limits" early-archery season hunting those with her.  

• Like 1